11-12-2016 01:43 PM
63 123
tools
    There is still no proof, as far as myself and many others are concerned, that the Note 7 is a flawed product.
    Exactly how many burnt Note 7's does it take for those many others to consider it proof that some Note 7's are burning?
    11-07-2016 12:39 AM
    Exactly how many burnt Note 7's does it take for those many others to consider it proof that some Note 7's are burning?
    Undoubtedly Note7s are burning. So do others. Note7 appears to have had a higher than average failure rate. Hard to say though just how much more considering that nothing else to date garnered the same attention and I doubt anyone keeps a tally of all other problematic devices. I just want to hear Samsung say what is / was the problem, otherwise who's to say that the same issue won't plague the next generation of devices.

I do share the opinion that were it not for the massive media hype around the issue, the product would have stayed on the market, implying that this is more about saving face (PR) than practical risk. I doubt that even any potential litigation would have come close to the cost that Samsung incurred as a result of the recall, so even the basic calculations don't add up. The airline ban was the final nail in the coffin.
    11-07-2016 01:31 AM
    I didn't say they weren't burning. I said it wasn't a flawed product. Iphones and Galaxy 7s burn too.
    11-07-2016 09:23 AM
    Two recalls and the phone being banned on airplanes leads me to believe that's it's a flawed product.
    11-07-2016 09:43 AM
    Mod Note:Hey guys lets stay on topic. The topic in this thread is that Samsung is releasing the battery update in Australia. Please keep the discussion relevant to that topic.
    11-07-2016 09:45 AM
    Two recalls and the phone being banned on airplanes leads me to believe that's it's a flawed product.
    Which are all reactionary to media hype. Samsung still can't find anything wrong with the phone. And if they can't find anything wrong with the phone, it's likely that there is nothing wrong with the phone. All phones burn up.
    NotAnAppleGuy likes this.
    11-07-2016 09:56 AM
    Mod Note:Hey guys lets stay on topic. The topic in this thread is that Samsung is releasing the battery update in Australia. Please keep the discussion relevant to that topic.
    Sorry. I was responding to another moderator. How many of you guys are there?!
    11-07-2016 09:57 AM
    A lot!
    11-07-2016 10:02 AM
    Which are all reactionary to media hype. Samsung still can't find anything wrong with the phone. And if they can't find anything wrong with the phone, it's likely that there is nothing wrong with the phone. All phones burn up.
    Please stop putting on "media hype" since Samsung has openly admitted to the issue and said the bad media has been deserved. This arguing is getting old when we have it from the horses mouth. Before they said anything I get the speculation but it seems you're just in complete denial even though Samsung has openly admitted on numerous / countless occasions that it is flawed, they messed up, and it is 100% on them for the blame. Hence why they said they want to fix it with the next phones.

So you're welcome to your opinion and it is your choice if you don't want to accept the answer but please stop spreading misinformation of "it isn't flawed" when the people who own/made the product have said otherwise a bunch.
    11-07-2016 10:21 AM
    I won't go as far as to say there is nothing wrong with them, but I mostly agree. I think the issue with the second batch is minimal (if anything), but the incident on the plane sealed the fate. The Note 7 name was trash, FAA ban was a huge problem, and they felt it would be better to just take responsibility (even while unable to reproduce or identify the problem) and end it. I have no fear of my Note 7 at all. I have an S7 Edge on the way, but won't even open the box and use it unless I have to.
    11-07-2016 11:03 AM
    Please stop putting on "media hype" since Samsung has openly admitted to the issue and said the bad media has been deserved. This arguing is getting old when we have it from the horses mouth. Before they said anything I get the speculation but it seems you're just in complete denial even though Samsung has openly admitted on numerous / countless occasions that it is flawed, they messed up, and it is 100% on them for the blame. Hence why they said they want to fix it with the next phones.

So you're welcome to your opinion and it is your choice if you don't want to accept the answer but please stop spreading misinformation of "it isn't flawed" when the people who own/made the product have said otherwise a bunch.
    I guess you're missing the point. Samsung HAS to say that the product is flawed to avoid more of a PR and litigation nightmare. If they simply recalled the product saying, "well, we don't know why people are having a problem, but I guess we need to have everyone return it", it's not going to go over well. They cannot find the problem. Therefore, they cannot knowingly say the product is flawed. But, to appease the media, they have to fall on the sword. They cannot argue with the media and say that the product is perfect -- they will lose. Therefore, they're doing what they have to do, and while internally, I suspect that they don't believe there is much wrong, this is the cost of doing business.
    dejanh likes this.
    11-07-2016 12:48 PM
    I guess you're missing the point. Samsung HAS to say that the product is flawed to avoid more of a PR and litigation nightmare. If they simply recalled the product saying, "well, we don't know why people are having a problem, but I guess we need to have everyone return it", it's not going to go over well. They cannot find the problem. Therefore, they cannot knowingly say the product is flawed. But, to appease the media, they have to fall on the sword. They cannot argue with the media and say that the product is perfect -- they will lose. Therefore, they're doing what they have to do, and while internally, I suspect that they don't believe there is much wrong, this is the cost of doing business.
    lol, so much of this rests on a foundation that assumes too much about the situation.

1. We don't know what Samsung knows and what they don't know. We only know what they've publicly stated - and everyone has to assume that the company knows more information than they are going to release. The public is not entitled to any inside baseball.
    2. Samsung not yet knowing how to fix an issue (as of a month ago) is not the same thing as them not knowing what's wrong and is not the same thing as nothing being wrong. At a certain point why the batteries were burning ceases to matter for anyone that doesn't make phones and it is almost certain they're never going to release a white paper explaining the investigation, let alone a press release.
    3. No one intentionally falls on a $20 billion dollar sword. Samsung's reaction could have been a press release explaining the normal number of reports of spontaneous phone combustion and how these cases were in line with that. They could have released a statement saying they were filing suit against BGR, the Verge, etc. for libel. They didn't do any of those things. They looked at the numbers and had an, "ohhhh nooOOoOOOo" reaction. That means something.
    4. If they did say it was perfect, they'd be lying - so yes, that's a good thing to avoid saying.
    5. Every single time Samsung released numbers of confirmed cases, they released MORE than the media had previously reported to that point. And not just a few more, a ton more. There are WAY more confirmed cases of the Note 7 burning than the media ever reported. So that seems to indicate that this is not a media driven phenomenon.
    6. The media certainly didn't help matters, but there's no indication of malice, conspiracy or anything other than a boat load of confusion.
    11-07-2016 01:22 PM
    Or.. the product has a flaw and Samsung doesn't want to divulge the root cause of the flaw...

People can look at this different ways until they are blue in the face...

Facts are - this is a recalled device and governmental organizations have banned the device from public transport...

Media Hype? Doubtful.
    11-12-2016 01:43 PM
63 123