Samsung Crippling the Note 7 in Australia

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Those who don't give it up are being very risky and stupid. You just don't know what will happen and when. It's a phone for crying out loud! It's been recalled because there is a problem. Turn it in.

bay2view

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
In New Zealand, Samsung has advised - "From 18 November 2016 customers still using the Note 7 will no longer be able to connect to any New Zealand mobile network services to make calls, use data or send SMS messages."

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's gonna suck for all the Note 7 owners in New Zealand.... guessing... 11 owners in New Zealand? lol. :p

In New Zealand, Samsung has advised - "From 18 November 2016 customers still using the Note 7 will no longer be able to connect to any New Zealand mobile network services to make calls, use data or send SMS messages."

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Samsung might have made the announcement, but it's the carriers that prompted the move. They were having problems getting everyone to turn in the devices. I would not be surprised to see this happen globally.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Why are you concerned? Why hold on to a phone that is/will be a brick and worthless in the near future? No support, updates, possibly banned on networks here in the US. Definitely should get your money back for the phone while you still can.

Why am I concerned? Because I am enjoying using the phone.
Why hold on to a phone that is/will be a brick and worthless in the near future? Because I am enjoying using the phone. It is not a brick. It may be a brick in the future; that is my concern. Worthless? No. It will always be worth what I paid for it, and I can get that back from Sprint. It likely will be worth more -- check the eBay closed sales on the phone.
No support, updates, possibly banned on networks here in the US. I don't care about support or updates. I'm happy with the phone as it is. If it is banned on a network, then I will return it to Sprint. However, that's what I'm concerned about.
Definitely should get your money back for the phone while you still can. Why? Why can I not enjoy the phone for the foreseeable future, until the S8 is out? If it is taken off of the networks, I'll return it to Sprint. Until then, why am I not allowed, m3lover1, to enjoy my device?
Why do you feel the need to come onto a Note thread and put those of us down who care to use the phone?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the precedent that this sets. No telco or corporation should be allowed to dictate what happens to a product that a person owns. This reminds me of the Playstation OtherOS argument with Sony and other cases of similar nature. If I bought the product, or received it as a gift, or whatever it may be and I own it, I should not be dictated to in respect to how I am going to use it or what features I can and cannot use. Further to this, if telcos and corporations can do this unilaterally, what's stopping them employing the same tactic in other cases? Yeah, there are deeper reaching implications of this relating to control and ownership of the goods you paid for. More and more we do not own the things we buy.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If they are doing it because they are concerned for the owners safety then I say why not. At this point they could said we did what we needed, met our legal need, and wash their hands of it if they really thought there was nothing wrong and they were sabotaged by media. I might not like it if I had one in hand and refuse and don't believe there is an issue with blowing up but makes me think they must believe it enough to do something.

I don't like the precedent that this sets. No telco or corporation should be allowed to dictate what happens to a product that a person owns. This reminds me of the Playstation OtherOS argument with Sony and other cases of similar nature. If I bought the product, or received it as a gift, or whatever it may be and I own it, I should not be dictated to in respect to how I am going to use it or what features I can and cannot use. Further to this, if telcos and corporations can do this unilaterally, what's stopping them employing the same tactic in other cases? Yeah, there are deeper reaching implications of this relating to control and ownership of the goods you paid for. More and more we do not own the things we buy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If they are doing it because they are concerned for the owners safety then I say why not. At this point they could said we did what we needed, met our legal need, and wash their hands of it if they really thought there was nothing wrong and they were sabotaged by media. I might not like it if I had one in hand and refuse and don't believe there is an issue with blowing up but makes me think they must believe it enough to do something.

This. If they were just doing it for some random reason sure but when it comes to safety it is another story.

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Litigation purposes.

Should another one blow up, Samsung can point to the 500 alerts that are out there and advise that it was the assumption of the risk. Similarly, since Sprint/Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile sells the items, they can also be named in a suit. If they are named, they point to all of the alerts that they have sent.

Trust me, the only reason that any company would care -- at ALL -- about your safety -- is to make sure that you can continue to work and continue to pay your bill.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
This. If they were just doing it for some random reason sure but when it comes to safety it is another story.
Random entities don't get to enforce safety. This is completely nonsensical. They have no legal obligation to do this, no liability. I see this as a matter of protecting access to basic services. This is on top of the fact that the whole argument of "protecting safety" is pretty tired, seeing as we are constantly getting our rights and freedoms taken away in the name of safety, and everyone is either ignorant of it or complicit in it. Anyway, once again let's just agree to disagree as we are not going to see eye-to-eye on this. I strongly believe that this is wrong behavior, and that it sets a precedent.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Random entities don't get to enforce safety. This is completely nonsensical.

I wouldn't count the people who build the phone (the ones who said "oops we messed up and made a safety hazard") as a "Random Entity" in this case.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc