Systematically Turning off Service (Verizon)

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep who kindly informed that Verizon is starting to "systematically turning off service for Note 7 owners" basically forcing us to return the phone. She's stating that once Verizon cuts you off, not only will you not have any service there is a chance you might not even be able to turn on the device.

I had planned to hold onto my phone despite knowing the risks.

I guess that won't work anymore :(

The Pixel XL and V20 are serious downgrades for me and I am not happy.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The realization hits us all. For some, it hit us the first week of the recall and for others, it's hitting just now. It's a sucky situation but trying desperately to hold on may just make it all the more painful in the end.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't like this. But at the same time I hope everyone gets through the recall safely and without too much mental anguish.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, there is a post in the VZW subreddit today:

Note 7 SU 3 coming noon EST in 11/7
"This is going to officially cut battery down to 60%. You will be able to defer the update indefinitely.
Samsung official announcement will drop sometime tomorrow."

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
All cell phones are suppose to be able to dial 911 even if the service is off or IMEI blocked.
Seems pretty far fetched as to not being able to possibly turn the phone back on.

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

"This is going to officially cut battery down to 60%. You will be able to defer the update indefinitely.

Not sure about the details, that is what I was told by the rep.

I was one of those people that upgraded from a S7E to a Note 7. It frustrates me knowing that the next best phone could be a S7E, which is the phone I had turned in to purchase the Note 7.

Sigh.

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I preordered a pixel xl on 10/17 with a ship date of 10/28 and I'm now told it won't ship till 12/2. If they brick my note 7 before then I will walk into Verizon and demand a different phone until my pixel gets here. It's not my fault, I placed an order for a phone they should have been here already. They better make it right.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I preordered a pixel xl on 10/17 with a ship date of 10/28 and I'm now told it won't ship till 12/2. If they brick my note 7 before then I will walk into Verizon and demand a different phone until my pixel gets here. It's not my fault, I placed an order for a phone they should have been here already. They better make it right.
It's Samsung that needs to make it right, not the carrier, IMO

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
It's Samsung that needs to make it right, not the carrier, IMO

More rumors and rep talk. They've proven most of them have no factual info, so until official statements come out I'm calling foul. No US carrier is just gonna shut a customer's phone down cold turkey. Could you imagine if that happened, and the person need to make an emergency phone call?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
More rumors and rep talk. They've proven most of them have no factual info, so until official statements come out I'm calling foul. No US carrier is just gonna shut a customer's phone down cold turkey. Could you imagine if that happened, and the person need to make an emergency phone call?

So they make it so that all you can do is charge to 20% and make emergency calls.

"Problem" solved (real solution is people just return the phone and get something else).

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure there's terms in all of our contracts affording carriers the right to refuse and/or terminate service for various reasons.

Also pretty sure that since all carriers have issued (or continue to offer) full refunds for a recalled device:

- For those that still have the device that have received a refund - (that they are effectively now not paying for) - they are holding on to what eventually may be considered as a stolen device.

- For those that have paid for it - expect these to be considered as unauthorized devices for the carrier. They can keep it, but the carrier reserves the right to not allow or block service for many reasons...

People have had a considerable amount of time to return their devices. It's time to return the phones and move on.

budven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My replacement phone is back ordered until Dec. 9. I hope they don't shut my phone off without offering a loaner.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I was in BestBuy (Central NJ) last night to return my S View case and an unopened screen protector. Passed by the Samsung service center they have and asked if there were many Note 7's returned to this particular BB. Ended up talking to the rep for a bit, and he told me the General Manager of that store had a Note 7, held onto it a bit, until VZW just this week deactivated his SIM card. He tried putting it in a few other phones, but it now worked in none. He called VZW who told him he needed to return the N7 and that his SIM was no longer provisioned.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I was in BestBuy (Central NJ) last night to return my S View case and an unopened screen protector. Passed by the Samsung service center they have and asked if there were many Note 7's returned to this particular BB. Ended up talking to the rep for a bit, and he told me the General Manager of that store had a Note 7, held onto it a bit, until VZW just this week deactivated his SIM card. He tried putting it in a few other phones, but it now worked in none. He called VZW who told him he needed to return the N7 and that his SIM was no longer provisioned.

He will get a SIM with his next phone

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Any other improvements? Does it fix the keyboard issues?

Hahahahahaha

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Get the Note 5. To me it's the closest device to the Note 7. The battery sucks but I'm getting used to the idea of not having an SD card slot. I'll pass this phone on to my husband when the new Note 8 is released.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Get the Note 5. To me it's the closest device to the Note 7. The battery sucks but I'm getting used to the idea of not having an SD card slot. I'll pass this phone on to my husband when the new Note 8 is released.
Haha, saw your post & thought, when did I post that?? My husband has my N4, my Mom my N3. Had my N5 almost set up to give him when the first recall came. Was still gonna give it to him but decided to get one as a loaner (that came just hours before the text from VZW saying the replacement would be here 2 days later, so I never activated it & returned it). By the time the second recall came. I still hadn't had the N5 ready, so he still has the N4. I'm back to the N5. Was even tempted to swap with him so I could have the memory card slot again, but am so sick of setting up phones I'm staying with N5 till the N8.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

I was just gonna stick with my daughter's old iPhone 6 and my old N3. However after discovering two people selling their N5, each for $300. I'm gonna jump on it although each is only 32GB. And I actually have a choice between gold or black, both look brand new