11-22-2016 08:16 AM
51 123
tools
    Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep who kindly informed that Verizon is starting to "systematically turning off service for Note 7 owners" basically forcing us to return the phone. She's stating that once Verizon cuts you off, not only will you not have any service there is a chance you might not even be able to turn on the device.

I had planned to hold onto my phone despite knowing the risks.

I guess that won't work anymore

The Pixel XL and V20 are serious downgrades for me and I am not happy.
    Agree, agree...
    except for 1 thing. Hang on to it anyway. Unless you will lose a cash deposit (like I'm going to, because I'm stubborn), you can always get a second phone on a second line (got a v20 - it's OK, the audio makes it less painful for me). When yours can no longer make calls, *if* it ever happens, switch your 2nd phone over to your primary phone number, kill the second line... and then keep your Note 7 as a wifi device, backup camera and FM radio. Hold out until the END! just a thought.

I'm hoping the package disabler I put on mine will at least keep them from bricking it or otherwise crippling it. Guess I'm going to find out...
    11-06-2016 10:20 AM
    So many rumors floating around, yet not a single one of them has actually happened yet. I will continue to use my note worry free until something actually happens.
    11-06-2016 04:34 PM
    So many rumors floating around, yet not a single one of them has actually happened yet. I will continue to use my note worry free until something actually happens.
    Hopefully that's not something like bodily harm or physical property damage/destruction.

New Zealand will be stopping service for them IIRC. Not sure when that's expected to happen. So not just a rumor, it's happening.
    11-06-2016 04:54 PM
    Hopefully that's not something like bodily harm or physical property damage/destruction.

New Zealand will be stopping service for them IIRC. Not sure when that's expected to happen. So not just a rumor, it's happening.
    I'm not at all worried about this phone harming me in anyway.
    11-06-2016 05:11 PM
    I'm not at all worried about this phone harming me in anyway.
    why? coz you have package disabler? lol
    11-06-2016 05:20 PM
    why? coz you have package disabler? lol
    Because I'm not afraid of a phone sir. Carry on.
    11-06-2016 05:28 PM
    Moderator Note We seem to have a lot of activity that is detracting from the ability for those seeking help to return their devices without wading through mountains of the completely unrelated stuff. If you are here with legitimate questions about how to navigate through the recall process or if you're helping people to do so, that's awesome. If you're not, then please take care to ensure that we're not getting in the way - so that those trying to get this situation properly resolved can quickly find correct answers about how to deal with their circumstances.

As a reminder, the Note 7 has been recalled and cancelled due to a safety issue. More information can be found here: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fires, recall and cancellation: Everything you need to know | Android Central
    11-06-2016 05:41 PM
    Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep who kindly informed that Verizon is starting to "systematically turning off service for Note 7 owners" basically forcing us to return the phone. She's stating that once Verizon cuts you off, not only will you not have any service there is a chance you might not even be able to turn on the device.

I had planned to hold onto my phone despite knowing the risks.

I guess that won't work anymore

The Pixel XL and V20 are serious downgrades for me and I am not happy.
    I switched to a pixel and I like it. You'll learn to love the good things about the new phone but it sucks. I hope the note 8 comes soon.
    11-06-2016 07:32 PM

You have a better chance of starting a fire at a fuel station when you stick that metal nozzle into the metal receptacle of your vehicle.
    11-07-2016 10:42 AM
    Just got the Verizon update to limit the battery to 60%. I deferred it obviously, I need to get my note 4 ready.
    11-07-2016 11:46 AM
    Just got the Verizon update to limit the battery to 60%. I deferred it obviously, I need to get my note 4 ready.
    My Note Edge is powered up and ready to go "If" they completely disable my Note 7.
    Attached Thumbnails Systematically Turning off Service (Verizon)-1957.jpg  
    Katrina White1 and brau0303 like this.
    11-07-2016 12:00 PM
    I think all they can do is block the IMEI code and then would be a tablet. Catch is a 60% charge tablet.
    11-07-2016 12:42 PM
    I think all they can do is block the IMEI code and then would be a tablet. Catch is a 60% charge tablet.
    Unless you never take the update. 100% charge tablet then lol
    dejanh, jn3wman and furbymac like this.
    11-07-2016 01:50 PM
    Unless you never take the update. 100% charge tablet then lol
    It's a pretty decent tablet at that. The tight edge curves give an illusion of the screen being larger than it is and it is quite comfortable for late night watching. Just keep a metal pan nearby in case it ever decides to flame up and you're good to go. The more time goes by without an issue though the less likely it becomes that it will have a critical failure, assuming no exposure to abuse. After a while you can probably drop the pan as well.
    11-07-2016 01:58 PM
    The Verizon rep I spoke to also stated that she had already received calls from people whose service was shut off and I don't see any reason why she would lie to me like that.

I guess only time will tell for now. I'm enjoying the cancelled monthly plan until I decide on a new phone. I read some other thread where some guy got a new Note 5 for complaining. Time to start calling Verizon...
    11-07-2016 03:16 PM
    The Verizon rep I spoke to also stated that she had already received calls from people whose service was shut off and I don't see any reason why she would lie to me like that.

I guess only time will tell for now. I'm enjoying the cancelled monthly plan until I decide on a new phone. I read some other thread where some guy got a new Note 5 for complaining. Time to start calling Verizon...
    My question is if they are shutting off service, why are they doing it systematically instead of just completely shutting off all note users? I'm just not understanding the logic.
    11-07-2016 09:09 PM
    My question is if they are shutting off service, why are they doing it systematically instead of just completely shutting off all note users? I'm just not understanding the logic.
    Because they are not systematically shutting them off. The Verizon reps are misinformed all the time (remember all of the wrong answers we all received during the first re-call). Phones fail and shutoff all the time, folks accounts get screwed up, bills do not get paid for various reasons and now all of that gets blamed on the recalled phone.

When / if they do shut the phone off (by imei or whatever) will be announced and then will roll out all at once.

Still using my Note 7 on verizon with zero issues.
    11-10-2016 06:03 AM
    My update is just sitting here for the past couple weeks in my notification tray. It hasn't forced me to update. Anyone else?
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    11-21-2016 05:09 PM
    My update is just sitting here for the past couple weeks in my notification tray. It hasn't forced me to update. Anyone else?
    Same here, but I postpone it every day so it's not in my notifications.
    11-21-2016 05:31 PM
    no update showing for me; Verizon.
    11-21-2016 05:36 PM
    None here on Verizon.
    11-21-2016 07:12 PM
    To date I've still heard zero official anything about anyone disconnecting service on Verizon for Note 7 owners.
    11-21-2016 08:01 PM
    The message I get from Verizon says it is a voluntary recall. I haven't seen anything saying it is mandatory.
    11-21-2016 08:06 PM
    The message I get from Verizon says it is a voluntary recall. I haven't seen anything saying it is mandatory.
    That's correct. From the consumer side is is voluntary, as in you have no legal obligation to turn it in, so long as you have paid it in full or continue to honor the payment agreement. From the carrier and manufacturer side, it is mandatory, in that they are obligated to accept the return and give you back 100% of your money paid towards the device in return. Now, there is a little bit of nuance, because Samsung and your carrier are both licensing the use of their software and network, respectively, and can cancel access to any or all of it at any time within the terms of your service agreement. It's well within their rights to say that no Note 7 can access any of Samsung's software services and/or no Note 7 may access any connectivity services of Verizon Wireless other than 911/other emergency contact tools... but as of today, there's no hint that either company is plotting either thing.
    11-21-2016 08:58 PM
    I will gladly give them their money for the device. I see no reason to not as long as they continue to leave it on PHE as they have done on mine. You are absolutely correct on services being cut if you have not paid for it. They can, but at the same time I doubt Verizon will cut service. They really don't want to loose customers. More than likely they will prove smart and add an access fee if you are using an N7 that you were refunded for.
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    11-22-2016 07:25 AM
51 123