11-22-2016 08:16 AM
51 123
tools
    Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep who kindly informed that Verizon is starting to "systematically turning off service for Note 7 owners" basically forcing us to return the phone. She's stating that once Verizon cuts you off, not only will you not have any service there is a chance you might not even be able to turn on the device.

I had planned to hold onto my phone despite knowing the risks.

I guess that won't work anymore

The Pixel XL and V20 are serious downgrades for me and I am not happy.
    juliesdroidsync and thatguy97 like this.
    11-04-2016 03:34 PM
    The realization hits us all. For some, it hit us the first week of the recall and for others, it's hitting just now. It's a sucky situation but trying desperately to hold on may just make it all the more painful in the end.
    11-04-2016 03:40 PM
    Not too far fetched. NZ already started doing it. Some regions have already pushed the battery-limiting update.
    New Zealand carriers will cut off access to the Note 7 from Nov 18 | Android Central
    11-04-2016 04:17 PM
    I don't like this. But at the same time I hope everyone gets through the recall safely and without too much mental anguish.
    11-04-2016 04:22 PM
    FWIW, there is a post in the VZW subreddit today:

Note 7 SU 3 coming noon EST in 11/7
    "This is going to officially cut battery down to 60%. You will be able to defer the update indefinitely.
    Samsung official announcement will drop sometime tomorrow."
    11-04-2016 04:28 PM
    All cell phones are suppose to be able to dial 911 even if the service is off or IMEI blocked.
    Seems pretty far fetched as to not being able to possibly turn the phone back on.
    twinsfan1313 likes this.
    11-04-2016 04:33 PM
    11-04-2016 04:34 PM

"This is going to officially cut battery down to 60%. You will be able to defer the update indefinitely.
    Not sure about the details, that is what I was told by the rep.

I was one of those people that upgraded from a S7E to a Note 7. It frustrates me knowing that the next best phone could be a S7E, which is the phone I had turned in to purchase the Note 7.

Sigh.
    WalkingHorse likes this.
    11-04-2016 04:39 PM
    I preordered a pixel xl on 10/17 with a ship date of 10/28 and I'm now told it won't ship till 12/2. If they brick my note 7 before then I will walk into Verizon and demand a different phone until my pixel gets here. It's not my fault, I placed an order for a phone they should have been here already. They better make it right.
    furbymac likes this.
    11-04-2016 06:31 PM
    I preordered a pixel xl on 10/17 with a ship date of 10/28 and I'm now told it won't ship till 12/2. If they brick my note 7 before then I will walk into Verizon and demand a different phone until my pixel gets here. It's not my fault, I placed an order for a phone they should have been here already. They better make it right.
    It's Samsung that needs to make it right, not the carrier, IMO
    dejanh likes this.
    11-04-2016 06:37 PM
    It's Samsung that needs to make it right, not the carrier, IMO
    More rumors and rep talk. They've proven most of them have no factual info, so until official statements come out I'm calling foul. No US carrier is just gonna shut a customer's phone down cold turkey. Could you imagine if that happened, and the person need to make an emergency phone call?
    11-04-2016 08:21 PM
    More rumors and rep talk. They've proven most of them have no factual info, so until official statements come out I'm calling foul. No US carrier is just gonna shut a customer's phone down cold turkey. Could you imagine if that happened, and the person need to make an emergency phone call?
    So they make it so that all you can do is charge to 20% and make emergency calls.

"Problem" solved (real solution is people just return the phone and get something else).
    11-04-2016 08:56 PM
    Pretty sure there's terms in all of our contracts affording carriers the right to refuse and/or terminate service for various reasons.

Also pretty sure that since all carriers have issued (or continue to offer) full refunds for a recalled device:

- For those that still have the device that have received a refund - (that they are effectively now not paying for) - they are holding on to what eventually may be considered as a stolen device.

- For those that have paid for it - expect these to be considered as unauthorized devices for the carrier. They can keep it, but the carrier reserves the right to not allow or block service for many reasons...

People have had a considerable amount of time to return their devices. It's time to return the phones and move on.
    Fit24 and Baby_Doc like this.
    11-04-2016 10:20 PM
    My replacement phone is back ordered until Dec. 9. I hope they don't shut my phone off without offering a loaner.
    11-04-2016 10:38 PM
    I was in BestBuy (Central NJ) last night to return my S View case and an unopened screen protector. Passed by the Samsung service center they have and asked if there were many Note 7's returned to this particular BB. Ended up talking to the rep for a bit, and he told me the General Manager of that store had a Note 7, held onto it a bit, until VZW just this week deactivated his SIM card. He tried putting it in a few other phones, but it now worked in none. He called VZW who told him he needed to return the N7 and that his SIM was no longer provisioned.
    11-05-2016 12:22 AM
    I was in BestBuy (Central NJ) last night to return my S View case and an unopened screen protector. Passed by the Samsung service center they have and asked if there were many Note 7's returned to this particular BB. Ended up talking to the rep for a bit, and he told me the General Manager of that store had a Note 7, held onto it a bit, until VZW just this week deactivated his SIM card. He tried putting it in a few other phones, but it now worked in none. He called VZW who told him he needed to return the N7 and that his SIM was no longer provisioned.
    He will get a SIM with his next phone
    11-05-2016 12:39 AM

Any other improvements? Does it fix the keyboard issues?

Hahahahahaha
    cmiller8617 likes this.
    11-05-2016 09:31 AM
    Get the Note 5. To me it's the closest device to the Note 7. The battery sucks but I'm getting used to the idea of not having an SD card slot. I'll pass this phone on to my husband when the new Note 8 is released.
    sandra_17 and don Adams like this.
    11-05-2016 12:16 PM
    Get the Note 5. To me it's the closest device to the Note 7. The battery sucks but I'm getting used to the idea of not having an SD card slot. I'll pass this phone on to my husband when the new Note 8 is released.
    Haha, saw your post & thought, when did I post that?? My husband has my N4, my Mom my N3. Had my N5 almost set up to give him when the first recall came. Was still gonna give it to him but decided to get one as a loaner (that came just hours before the text from VZW saying the replacement would be here 2 days later, so I never activated it & returned it). By the time the second recall came. I still hadn't had the N5 ready, so he still has the N4. I'm back to the N5. Was even tempted to swap with him so I could have the memory card slot again, but am so sick of setting up phones I'm staying with N5 till the N8.
    Jude526 likes this.
    11-05-2016 01:53 PM
    I was just gonna stick with my daughter's old iPhone 6 and my old N3. However after discovering two people selling their N5, each for $300. I'm gonna jump on it although each is only 32GB. And I actually have a choice between gold or black, both look brand new
    11-05-2016 02:17 PM
    All cell phones are suppose to be able to dial 911 even if the service is off or IMEI blocked.
    Seems pretty far fetched as to not being able to possibly turn the phone back on.
    So which choice would you prefer? A phone that's useless, or a phone that could make 911 calls, but could also take your leg off at the hip?

My hip and leg are worth a lot more to me than any phone, even if I had to eat the entire retail price.
    11-05-2016 03:03 PM
    Folks thinking this is not going to happen are respectfully in denial. The 60% cap is one of several methodical steps.
    11-05-2016 04:44 PM
    So which choice would you prefer? A phone that's useless, or a phone that could make 911 calls, but could also take your leg off at the hip?

My hip and leg are worth a lot more to me than any phone, even if I had to eat the entire retail price.
    Out of all the N7 fires I've seen, I've not once seen the phone actually explode. These phones catch fire and melt. So taking off a leg at the hip is a ridiculous statement. Can it catch fire in your pocket and give you severe burns, yes. Explode and shoot shrapnel therefore severing your leg? I don't think so.
    But when they do get turned off, 911 will still work but that's about it as far as calls are concerned. The only time phone service has been completely shut off including 911 was the Boston bombing.
    11-05-2016 05:08 PM
    Wow... They'll probably re-provision the SIM when he returns the Note 7. Does he still have to pay for his service?
    11-05-2016 06:00 PM
    Out of all the N7 fires I've seen, I've not once seen the phone actually explode. These phones catch fire and melt. So taking off a leg at the hip is a ridiculous statement. Can it catch fire in your pocket and give you severe burns, yes. Explode and shoot shrapnel therefore severing your leg? I don't think so.
    But when they do get turned off, 911 will still work but that's about it as far as calls are concerned. The only time phone service has been completely shut off including 911 was the Boston bombing.
    But you haven't seen all of them. 😉

Also, you don't need shrapnel in an explosion to sever limbs.
    11-05-2016 06:40 PM
51 123