11-21-2016 11:20 AM
181 1234 ...
tools
    I'm confused. If my phone was being recalled because of a issue, and I was able to exchange it with little to no problem, I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. So....can anyone explain this to me? Least of all the worry that your phone could, oh, go all "this message will self-destruct in five seconds" in your damn pocket.
    11-06-2016 11:06 PM
    I'm confused. If my phone was being recalled because of a issue, and I was able to exchange it with little to no problem, I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. So....can anyone explain this to me? Least of all the worry that your phone could, oh, go all "this message will self-destruct in five seconds" in your damn pocket.
    It's okay, it confuses me too and I have one... :-) if you haven't had a Note 7 , there is no way you can understand what an awesome phone it truly is.

We're annoyed because we have to return them.

We're annoyed that our phones are going to be gimped with this 60% battery update.

We are annoyed because many of us could not find a suitable replacement.

We are annoyed because the extremely low probability that something will happen is within what we perceive as more than acceptable limits. (For example, my toaster and the 60 year old wiring in my house is much more dangerous to me and Society at Large than my Galaxy Note7, so... )

We're annoyed at the normalcy bias that people have... For example, you put the public at more risk by driving to the grocery store than having a Galaxy Note 7, but no one is going to ask you to quit driving to the grocery store in the interest of Public Safety.

We are annoyed that people will tell us to give up our personal property because *they have deemed it too dangerous.

And the list goes on... basically, we are just very annoyed with the whole situation...

:-) anyway, at least from my perspective that's how I see it.
    11-06-2016 11:24 PM
    It's okay, it confuses me too and I have one... :-) if you haven't had a Note 7 , there is no way you can understand what an awesome phone it truly is.

We're annoyed that our phones are going to be gimped with this 60% battery update.

We are annoyed because the extremely low probability that something will happen is within what we perceive as more than acceptable limits. (For example, my toaster and the 60 year old wiring in my house is much more dangerous to me and Society at Large than my Galaxy Note7, so... )

We're annoyed at the normalcy bias that people have... For example, you put the public at more risk by driving to the grocery store than having a Galaxy Note 7, but no one is going to ask you to quit driving to the grocery store in the interest of Public Safety.

We are annoyed that people will tell us to give up our personal property because *they have deemed it too dangerous.

And the list goes on... basically, we are just very annoyed with the whole situation...

Awesome summary. And let's not forget, this recall was originally deemed as "voluntary". So, if I have chosen not to volunteer, I've accepted the minimal risk and am ok with it. Carriers and Samsung should be ok with it too.
    11-07-2016 12:32 AM

I received notification of the update yesterday. My intention was to ignore it as i am head over heels in love with my Note 7. So I had my phone on the charger in my office at work. I come back to the phone updating on its own. Words could not express my anger. I tried a hard shut down hoping to disrupt it. When I turned it back on, it resumed updating where it left off. Beware! I now have to give it back because 60% won't get me through half the day. > I called and told them that not only did I buy a case, 80$ wireless charger but also the Gear s2 all at the store the day I got the phone and I expect it all to be refunded when I bring them. They say they have uploaded documents to the notes on my account indicating I could do so. I am so angry. Guess it's back to the note 4 for now.
    11-07-2016 12:33 AM
    Oh boy, what a story, very sorry to hear about that. My buddy still has his note7 and loves it so I definitely know what you mean. He says he will be keeping it regardless of the updates. He is very stubborn but at the same time just loves his phone. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens...
    11-07-2016 12:35 AM
    I received notification of the update yesterday. My intention was to ignore it as i am head over heels in love with my Note 7. So I had my phone on the charger in my office at work. I come back to the phone updating on its own. Words could not express my anger. I tried a hard shut down hoping to disrupt it. When I turned it back on, it resumed updating where it left off. Beware! I now have to give it back because 60% won't get me through half the day. > I called and told them that not only did I buy a case, 80$ wireless charger but also the Gear s2 all at the store the day I got the phone and I expect it all to be refunded when I bring them. They say they have uploaded documents to the notes on my account indicating I could do so. I am so angry. Guess it's back to the note 4 for now.
    I'm so sorry...
    11-07-2016 12:37 AM
    I know at the end of the day, it's a phone. I haven't upgraded in 2 years waiting for the perfect note and now it's gone. Plus I have thousands of music and pictures and don't feel like moving all that over. At least I still have that 256GB memory card from the promo!
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    11-07-2016 12:40 AM
    That's because the entire situation sucks. The Note 7 was on track to be among the best phones of the year and then suddenly wasn't. Everyone spent a lot of money and energy and stuff into getting their device - and we here at AC tend to all take our phones a little too personally - and so there's an investment that's much more than dollars.

The one thing from your post I disagree with is the "could not find a suitable replacement". I think that's because everyone got stuck on trying to find something that is either the Note 7 or better than it, instead of merely finding a smartphone that will due for a short time until something new and exciting comes along. For that purpose, many of those midrangers that blurred the lines of "flagship" would be great. Yes, it's settling - but there is no Note 7 clone coming - not even from Samsung. I've seen a lot of people talking about not wanting to burn an upgrade to go back to the device they came from or to get an S7, etc. I agree, that's an absolutely atrocious idea unless you're going to use the S7 for a long time or you're fine with the S7 and just liked the Note 7 a little more.

If I hadn't have gotten the Pixel XL, I'd have just pulled an old phone out of my old phone drawer and used that until next year's Q3/Q4 lineup or went out and bought something from a brand I haven't used in a while to see how things are carrying on with the other side. Most of these posts remind me of the stages of grieving from freshman psych classes.

TLDR - trying to replace the Note 7 is a fool's errand. There's too much about it that is unique to the Samsung line up and to the Note line up and some new stuff that isn't anywhere else yet within their product line. You can argue that some other devices are just as good subjectively - and that's fine, but that's not the same thing and we all know damned well no one wants to replace their dodge with a ford that's "equivalent". So rather than replace, it seems to be it'd be better to seek difference and accept the loss.
    11-07-2016 01:04 AM
    You just gave a snapshot of both the reasons for and against doing updates like this. I really, really, dislike the idea but I can understand why they feel it is necessary. As a hypothetical thing to theorize about, this is a really interesting philosophical case of where exactly this line should be drawn. Since it's happening to real people, quite a bit less interesting and I'm sorry that anyone has to go through it. I was hoping there'd be a better way they could have resolved this.
    11-07-2016 01:08 AM
    I'm with Sprint and I haven't seen it as of yet.
    11-07-2016 07:30 AM
    Next up... IMEI block
    i heard they Blocking the Note 7 in New Zealand completely and you cant even connect it to a mobile network. Quite hectic stuff :O
    11-07-2016 07:48 AM
    If you keep the charge above 60% would the phone still affected?
    11-07-2016 07:59 AM
    i heard they Blocking the Note 7 in New Zealand completely and you cant even connect it to a mobile network. Quite hectic stuff :O
    The FAA does not want to continue pushing a special script just for the Note 7. The IMEI codes will be blocked within weeks.

If you want a 60% battery mini tablet that can't go on planes, should be good.
    11-07-2016 09:48 AM
    If you keep the charge above 60% would the phone still affected?
    My guess is once the update is applied, it just won't let the charge activate until it drops below 60%. So trying to keep it above 60% to thwart the limit most likely wouldn't work.
    11-07-2016 10:20 AM
    The FAA does not want to continue pushing a special script just for the Note 7. The IMEI codes will be blocked within weeks.

If you want a 60% battery mini tablet that can't go on planes, should be good.
    And where exactly are you getting this information from?
    11-07-2016 10:22 AM
    My wife and I loved our Note 7s but we turned them in after the second recall and now we have S7 Edges. They aren't as good as the Notes but got tired of all the problems of the recall. The camera is just as good but miss the S pen, iris scanner and other things. Oh well, after a year I will be looking at a Note 8 or whatever it is called.
    11-07-2016 10:22 AM
    And where exactly are you getting this information from?
    Well nothing has been published yet... but carriers worldwide are already in the process... Some already have blocked. And I've heard some chatter from those that I trust that US carriers are moving forward with blacklisting Note 7s because the naggygrams they are sending to the current user base aren't reducing their numbers any further (it's still being used by a small but resilient core)

My money is that this phone will cease to be a viable on-carrier mobile device across all major US carriers by the end of this year.
    11-07-2016 10:48 AM
    I got my update notice from Sprint this morning. It stated that the update can only be delayed 3 times. Does this mean it will automatically update after that? Is it still possible to disable the update feature even though I received it? If so, how do I disable the update? I luv this phone, don't travel, haven't had any heating issues with charging (use the wireless charger) and want to keep it as long as possible. Thanks.
    11-07-2016 10:51 AM
    I hate the thought of giving up my note 7 but I have a chance to buy a one month old s7 edge for $350. Do you guys think that's a good buy or wait till black Friday?
    11-07-2016 11:23 AM
    My verizon note 7 just got the update notification Prepping my old note4 for the switch....
    11-07-2016 11:41 AM
    It's not just the 60% limitation. I have noticed with this latest update:

- Profile management apps no longer function correctly, and cannot control alert volumes (which continually get set to 100%, fun in the middle of the night - forces me to turn the phone off at night)
    - Android Pay no longer functions, it reports that it is running on a "rooted phone"
    - Several apps that I use on a regular basis no longer even open
    - Two apps have mysteriously uninstalled themselves from my phone
    - Annoying modal pop-up notice and noise every time the phone is plugged in to charge or turned on

Let's consider this:

I buy a car. The car is mine. I like my car.

The NTSB encourages the car manufacturer to issue a voluntary recall, and encourage people to return their cars for a refund, because there is a problem with the battery. The manufacturer does so.

People like their cars, and do not "volunteer" to turn them in, because they want to keep them.

The lawyers of the car manufacturer tell the manufacturer it is in their best interest to "encourage" people to "voluntarily" return their cars, so that they do not get sued.

The manufacturer sends out an update to the car. This "update" causes the following things to happen:

- You can only fill the gas tank to 60% full
    - The radio no longer works
    - In order to start the car, you must turn the key, then get out, open the trunk, and press a button inside the trunk.
    - The windows no longer roll down
    - The horn beeps loudly every time you hit the brakes

Do you think people would stand for this? It's not like the CPSC has any kind of control over "recalls" - they can recommend to the MANUFACTURERS that they issue a recall, but they have no legislative powers over the end users of products. This voluntary recall is just that - voluntary. This crippling of phones is ENTIRELY on SamSung, and is being done by them, without any push from any government agency.

So what is driving me crazy is, why is nobody starting a class action suit against Samsung for breach of contract, for removing functionality after the fact, from a product purchased in good faith? This would be a slam dunk, and would be ideal case law to stop manufacturers from trying this kind of BS in the future.

In the meantime, I will be trotting to the T-Mobile store tonight, tail between my legs, to turn in my now crippled Note 7, and exchange it for a crappy S7 Edge without the two best features I love - the pen and the iris scanner. The $100 I get won't even come close to covering the cost of all the USB 3 accessories, chargers and Note 7 specific accessories I bought for my phone.

What a scam.
    jn3wman likes this.
    11-07-2016 11:52 AM

- Profile management apps no longer function correctly, and cannot control alert volumes (which continually get set to 100%, fun in the middle of the night - forces me to turn the phone off at night)
    - Android Pay no longer functions, it reports that it is running on a "rooted phone"
    - Annoying modal pop-up notice and noise every time the phone is plugged in to charge or turned on

Let's consider this:

The NTSB encourages the car manufacturer to issue a voluntary recall, and encourage people to return their cars for a refund, because there is a problem with the battery. The manufacturer does so.

People like their cars, and do not "volunteer" to turn them in, because they want to keep them.

The lawyers of the car manufacturer tell the manufacturer it is in their best interest to "encourage" people to "voluntarily" return their cars, so that they do not get sued.

The manufacturer sends out an update to the car. This "update" causes the following things to happen:

- In order to start the car, you must turn the key, then get out, open the trunk, and press a button inside the trunk.

Do you think people would stand for this? It's not like the CPSC has any kind of control over "recalls" - they can recommend to the MANUFACTURERS that they issue a recall, but they have no legislative powers over the end users of products. This voluntary recall is just that - voluntary. This crippling of phones is ENTIRELY on SamSung, and is being done by them, without any push from any government agency.

So what is driving me crazy is, why is nobody starting a class action suit against Samsung for breach of contract, for removing functionality after the fact, from a product purchased in good faith? This would be a slam dunk, and would be ideal case law to stop manufacturers from trying this kind of BS in the future.

In the meantime, I will be trotting to the T-Mobile store tonight, tail between my legs, to turn in my now crippled Note 7, and exchange it for a crappy S7 Edge without the two best features I love - the pen and the iris scanner. The $100 I get won't even come close to covering the cost of all the USB 3 accessories, chargers and Note 7 specific accessories I bought for my phone.

What a scam.
    Very well put. I think that the problem is in the EULA. The issue is that software runs your device and the EULA only ever licenses you to use it. It does not give you ownership over the software or the ability to claim any damages as a result of software issues or changes in future updates. This goes back to the fundamental problem of ownership, something that in the digital economy of today seems to be largely geared towards favoring the corporations. In layman's terms, you may physically own the hardware, but you have no rights on the software, how it is working, or how it will be working in the future. The best example of this was Sony PlayStation 3 and OtherOS. Sony single-handedly decided to remove OtherOS, a key function of the original PS3, in a software update. The market was in an uproar, but ultimately it was ruled that Sony was fully within their rights to do this setting a very powerful precedent for all digital rights.

Going back to the Note7, basically the EULA allows Samsung not just to cripple the Note7, but any other device that they have ever produced or will produce. Your ability to use the software is more a "privilege" than anything else. You can use it because the corporation allows you to do so.
    11-07-2016 12:15 PM
    I just got the Att text as follows :

AT&T Free Msg: A Samsung software update will be released soon, which will diminish your Note7 battery charge capacity to 60%. Samsung and the Consumer Product Safety Commission strongly recommend you power off and stop using your Samsung Galaxy Note7 immediately due to fire safety issues. Return your Note7 to the place you purchased for an exchange. All Note7 phones are banned on all flights per the USDOT including both carry-on and checked luggage. For more details go to att.com/note7 1:32 PM

I have the updates disabled via Packager Pro. LET'S SEE IF IT WORKS.
    jn3wman and juliesdroidsync like this.
    11-07-2016 12:35 PM

Let's consider this:

What a scam.
    They have enforcement power over the manufacturer, so it's in the manufacturer's best interest to do everything they possibly can to get all recalled products returned.

I would actually love to see the results of a class action case against a company that is actively trying to recover all products recalled under direction from the CPSC.
    11-07-2016 12:36 PM
    I would actually love to see the results of a class action case against a company that is actively trying to recover all products recalled under direction from the CPSC.
    Why? Watching a case get dismissed during pre-trial conference is super boring.
    11-07-2016 12:37 PM
181 1234 ...