Note 7 - 60% battery charge update is rolling out

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
No, not saying that at all. I would prefer it if that we keep the same content contained in their own threads, and by that I mean not having a couple of people invade every thread and derail it and that people search and add to existing threads before creating a new thread, etc. Threads about the S7 go in the S7 section, etc.

You guys are cool to talk about anything and everything you want with very few exceptions, covered by the rules page and general decency. So specifically on the Note 7, we're going to avoid posts that are insulting people and we're going to avoid modifying software and hardware in a way that can create a risk of injury to the user or other readers.

The post you're quoting is about having several or even dozens of threads that say the exact same things with the exact same users and cause it to be extremely difficult for the average jill to find out how to make sure she's not losing too much money or sanity in escaping this fiasco.
Thank you for clarifying... :) I appreciate your time. And I see your point.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I was just wondering... Are you saying we are no longer allowed to talk about anything other than taking the phones back? Because this particular post was about the battery update, not taking the phone back... I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying :) thank you for your time.

Exactly
We are adults here and as such should be able to make our own choices
Are you working for Android Central or Samsung?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
We are adults here and as such should be able to make our own choices
Are you working for Android Central or Samsung?

I'm assuming that last part is directed to me? Let me address the first half first. I've consistently said throughout this entire thing that every individual can make up their own mind about what they're going to do and that I'm not going to try to force anyone to do anything. I've also consistently said that I want it to be easy for the huge amount of people who were trying to navigate through this mess to find the information they need here quickly and to have it be accurate and helpful. That's why the emphasis on positive, productive posts. So on this specific issue, if you want to go do research and figure out a way to keep your Note 7 working forever - god bless and I sincerely hope that you remain lucky and that it doesn't cause any serious problems for you.

Now on the second half, how would that matter? If I worked for Samsung, I would want you to be safe and to be able to buy my future products. If I worked for Android Central, I'd want you to be safe and to be able to post about whatever nerdy Android related stuff comes through your keyboard - so long as it's done in a positive and productive manner, within the community rules, etc. Both of those things start with I would want you to be safe and so the second part is basically just window dressing and much less important. But to directly answer your question, neither. I'm not paid by Samsung or Android Central to do anything.

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No, not saying that at all. I would prefer it if that we keep the same content contained in their own threads, and by that I mean not having a couple of people invade every thread and derail it and that people search and add to existing threads before creating a new thread, etc. Threads about the S7 go in the S7 section, etc.

You guys are cool to talk about anything and everything you want with very few exceptions, covered by the rules page and general decency. So specifically on the Note 7, we're going to avoid posts that are insulting people and we're going to avoid modifying software and hardware in a way that can create a risk of injury to the user or other readers.

The post you're quoting is about having several or even dozens of threads that say the exact same things with the exact same users and cause it to be extremely difficult for the average jill to find out how to make sure she's not losing too much money or sanity in escaping this fiasco.

Edit: To add context, this thread got that message because of it had more than 10 posts deleted that were people derailing the thread, urging others to do illegal things, urging people to do dangerous things, trolling, insulting others, etc. At some point all of that nonsense just becomes garbage that members have to weed through to find scraps of meaningful content. Welcome to the internet I guess.

Don't we have an entire subforum devoted to returning this product? It was my understanding that the current Note 7 thread that is not the "return forum" is devoted to, at this point, doing everything we can to keep our phones running. . . and obviously, we don't need the negative nancy's coming in saying that our phone is a death trap. While I am not one for conspiracy theories, it may be applicable here. The truth is out there.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't we have an entire subforum devoted to returning this product? It was my understanding that the current Note 7 thread that is not the "return forum" is devoted to, at this point, doing everything we can to keep our phones running. . . and obviously, we don't need the negative nancy's coming in saying that our phone is a death trap. While I am not one for conspiracy theories, it may be applicable here. The truth is out there.

We do, but a number very close to zero people have used it voluntarily. Almost all of the threads in it have been moved there - almost everyone wanting to post anything about the Note 7, whether it's related to the recall, their next devices, comparisons to the devices they moved to, questions about what to do with Best Buy, etc. posts a new thread here in this section. This section then remains devoted to discussion of the Note 7, including news about what's going on with system updates, etc.

I wouldn't say it would include "doing everything we can to keep our phones running" because a lot of that content could overlap with modifying the software and/or hardware to do whatever - and that's going to fall into a very gray to off-limits area without a lot of nuance and care taken to avoid doing so. So the difference between, "I'm going to keep using the phone" and "here are the directions to be able to circumvent the updates in order to keep your phone running" is pretty clear and one of them is fine and the other isn't.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused. If my phone was being recalled because of a issue, and I was able to exchange it with little to no problem, I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. So....can anyone explain this to me? Least of all the worry that your phone could, oh, go all "this message will self-destruct in five seconds" in your damn pocket.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused. If my phone was being recalled because of a issue, and I was able to exchange it with little to no problem, I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. So....can anyone explain this to me? Least of all the worry that your phone could, oh, go all "this message will self-destruct in five seconds" in your damn pocket.
It's okay, it confuses me too and I have one... :) if you haven't had a Note 7 , there is no way you can understand what an awesome phone it truly is.

We're annoyed because we have to return them.

We're annoyed that our phones are going to be gimped with this 60% battery update.

We are annoyed because many of us could not find a suitable replacement.

We are annoyed because the extremely low probability that something will happen is within what we perceive as more than acceptable limits. (For example, my toaster and the 60 year old wiring in my house is much more dangerous to me and Society at Large than my Galaxy Note7, so... )

We're annoyed at the normalcy bias that people have... For example, you put the public at more risk by driving to the grocery store than having a Galaxy Note 7, but no one is going to ask you to quit driving to the grocery store in the interest of Public Safety.

We are annoyed that people will tell us to give up our personal property because *they have deemed it too dangerous.

And the list goes on... basically, we are just very annoyed with the whole situation...

:) anyway, at least from my perspective that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
It's okay, it confuses me too and I have one... :) if you haven't had a Note 7 , there is no way you can understand what an awesome phone it truly is.

We're annoyed that our phones are going to be gimped with this 60% battery update.

We are annoyed because the extremely low probability that something will happen is within what we perceive as more than acceptable limits. (For example, my toaster and the 60 year old wiring in my house is much more dangerous to me and Society at Large than my Galaxy Note7, so... )

We're annoyed at the normalcy bias that people have... For example, you put the public at more risk by driving to the grocery store than having a Galaxy Note 7, but no one is going to ask you to quit driving to the grocery store in the interest of Public Safety.

We are annoyed that people will tell us to give up our personal property because *they have deemed it too dangerous.

And the list goes on... basically, we are just very annoyed with the whole situation...

Awesome summary. And let's not forget, this recall was originally deemed as "voluntary". So, if I have chosen not to volunteer, I've accepted the minimal risk and am ok with it. Carriers and Samsung should be ok with it too.

MarageLewis

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

I received notification of the update yesterday. My intention was to ignore it as i am head over heels in love with my Note 7. So I had my phone on the charger in my office at work. I come back to the phone updating on its own. Words could not express my anger. I tried a hard shut down hoping to disrupt it. When I turned it back on, it resumed updating where it left off. Beware! I now have to give it back because 60% won't get me through half the day. :mad: I called and told them that not only did I buy a case, 80$ wireless charger but also the Gear s2 all at the store the day I got the phone and I expect it all to be refunded when I bring them. They say they have uploaded documents to the notes on my account indicating I could do so. I am so angry. Guess it's back to the note 4 for now.

420lyfe

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Oh boy, what a story, very sorry to hear about that. My buddy still has his note7 and loves it so I definitely know what you mean. He says he will be keeping it regardless of the updates. He is very stubborn but at the same time just loves his phone. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I received notification of the update yesterday. My intention was to ignore it as i am head over heels in love with my Note 7. So I had my phone on the charger in my office at work. I come back to the phone updating on its own. Words could not express my anger. I tried a hard shut down hoping to disrupt it. When I turned it back on, it resumed updating where it left off. Beware! I now have to give it back because 60% won't get me through half the day. :mad: I called and told them that not only did I buy a case, 80$ wireless charger but also the Gear s2 all at the store the day I got the phone and I expect it all to be refunded when I bring them. They say they have uploaded documents to the notes on my account indicating I could do so. I am so angry. Guess it's back to the note 4 for now.
I'm so sorry...

MarageLewis

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I know at the end of the day, it's a phone. I haven't upgraded in 2 years waiting for the perfect note and now it's gone. Plus I have thousands of music and pictures and don't feel like moving all that over. At least I still have that 256GB memory card from the promo!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

That's because the entire situation sucks. The Note 7 was on track to be among the best phones of the year and then suddenly wasn't. Everyone spent a lot of money and energy and stuff into getting their device - and we here at AC tend to all take our phones a little too personally - and so there's an investment that's much more than dollars.

The one thing from your post I disagree with is the "could not find a suitable replacement". I think that's because everyone got stuck on trying to find something that is either the Note 7 or better than it, instead of merely finding a smartphone that will due for a short time until something new and exciting comes along. For that purpose, many of those midrangers that blurred the lines of "flagship" would be great. Yes, it's settling - but there is no Note 7 clone coming - not even from Samsung. I've seen a lot of people talking about not wanting to burn an upgrade to go back to the device they came from or to get an S7, etc. I agree, that's an absolutely atrocious idea unless you're going to use the S7 for a long time or you're fine with the S7 and just liked the Note 7 a little more.

If I hadn't have gotten the Pixel XL, I'd have just pulled an old phone out of my old phone drawer and used that until next year's Q3/Q4 lineup or went out and bought something from a brand I haven't used in a while to see how things are carrying on with the other side. Most of these posts remind me of the stages of grieving from freshman psych classes.

TLDR - trying to replace the Note 7 is a fool's errand. There's too much about it that is unique to the Samsung line up and to the Note line up and some new stuff that isn't anywhere else yet within their product line. You can argue that some other devices are just as good subjectively - and that's fine, but that's not the same thing and we all know damned well no one wants to replace their dodge with a ford that's "equivalent". So rather than replace, it seems to be it'd be better to seek difference and accept the loss.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

You just gave a snapshot of both the reasons for and against doing updates like this. I really, really, dislike the idea but I can understand why they feel it is necessary. As a hypothetical thing to theorize about, this is a really interesting philosophical case of where exactly this line should be drawn. Since it's happening to real people, quite a bit less interesting and I'm sorry that anyone has to go through it. I was hoping there'd be a better way they could have resolved this.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: U.s. Note 7 update ???battery 60%?

i heard they Blocking the Note 7 in New Zealand completely and you cant even connect it to a mobile network. Quite hectic stuff :O

The FAA does not want to continue pushing a special script just for the Note 7. The IMEI codes will be blocked within weeks.

If you want a 60% battery mini tablet that can't go on planes, should be good.

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: U.s. Note 7 update ???battery 60%?

The FAA does not want to continue pushing a special script just for the Note 7. The IMEI codes will be blocked within weeks.

If you want a 60% battery mini tablet that can't go on planes, should be good.
And where exactly are you getting this information from?