Note 7 - 60% battery charge update is rolling out

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I loved our Note 7s but we turned them in after the second recall and now we have S7 Edges. They aren't as good as the Notes but got tired of all the problems of the recall. The camera is just as good but miss the S pen, iris scanner and other things. Oh well, after a year I will be looking at a Note 8 or whatever it is called.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: U.s. Note 7 update ???battery 60%?

And where exactly are you getting this information from?

Well nothing has been published yet... but carriers worldwide are already in the process... Some already have blocked. And I've heard some chatter from those that I trust that US carriers are moving forward with blacklisting Note 7s because the naggygrams they are sending to the current user base aren't reducing their numbers any further (it's still being used by a small but resilient core)

My money is that this phone will cease to be a viable on-carrier mobile device across all major US carriers by the end of this year.

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I got my update notice from Sprint this morning. It stated that the update can only be delayed 3 times. Does this mean it will automatically update after that? Is it still possible to disable the update feature even though I received it? If so, how do I disable the update? I luv this phone, don't travel, haven't had any heating issues with charging (use the wireless charger) and want to keep it as long as possible. Thanks.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I hate the thought of giving up my note 7 but I have a chance to buy a one month old s7 edge for $350. Do you guys think that's a good buy or wait till black Friday?

GSMacLean

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It's not just the 60% limitation. I have noticed with this latest update:

- Profile management apps no longer function correctly, and cannot control alert volumes (which continually get set to 100%, fun in the middle of the night - forces me to turn the phone off at night)
- Android Pay no longer functions, it reports that it is running on a "rooted phone"
- Several apps that I use on a regular basis no longer even open
- Two apps have mysteriously uninstalled themselves from my phone
- Annoying modal pop-up notice and noise every time the phone is plugged in to charge or turned on

Let's consider this:

I buy a car. The car is mine. I like my car.

The NTSB encourages the car manufacturer to issue a voluntary recall, and encourage people to return their cars for a refund, because there is a problem with the battery. The manufacturer does so.

People like their cars, and do not "volunteer" to turn them in, because they want to keep them.

The lawyers of the car manufacturer tell the manufacturer it is in their best interest to "encourage" people to "voluntarily" return their cars, so that they do not get sued.

The manufacturer sends out an update to the car. This "update" causes the following things to happen:

- You can only fill the gas tank to 60% full
- The radio no longer works
- In order to start the car, you must turn the key, then get out, open the trunk, and press a button inside the trunk.
- The windows no longer roll down
- The horn beeps loudly every time you hit the brakes

Do you think people would stand for this? It's not like the CPSC has any kind of control over "recalls" - they can recommend to the MANUFACTURERS that they issue a recall, but they have no legislative powers over the end users of products. This voluntary recall is just that - voluntary. This crippling of phones is ENTIRELY on SamSung, and is being done by them, without any push from any government agency.

So what is driving me crazy is, why is nobody starting a class action suit against Samsung for breach of contract, for removing functionality after the fact, from a product purchased in good faith? This would be a slam dunk, and would be ideal case law to stop manufacturers from trying this kind of BS in the future.

In the meantime, I will be trotting to the T-Mobile store tonight, tail between my legs, to turn in my now crippled Note 7, and exchange it for a crappy S7 Edge without the two best features I love - the pen and the iris scanner. The $100 I get won't even come close to covering the cost of all the USB 3 accessories, chargers and Note 7 specific accessories I bought for my phone.

What a scam.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

- Profile management apps no longer function correctly, and cannot control alert volumes (which continually get set to 100%, fun in the middle of the night - forces me to turn the phone off at night)
- Android Pay no longer functions, it reports that it is running on a "rooted phone"
- Annoying modal pop-up notice and noise every time the phone is plugged in to charge or turned on

Let's consider this:

The NTSB encourages the car manufacturer to issue a voluntary recall, and encourage people to return their cars for a refund, because there is a problem with the battery. The manufacturer does so.

People like their cars, and do not "volunteer" to turn them in, because they want to keep them.

The lawyers of the car manufacturer tell the manufacturer it is in their best interest to "encourage" people to "voluntarily" return their cars, so that they do not get sued.

The manufacturer sends out an update to the car. This "update" causes the following things to happen:

- In order to start the car, you must turn the key, then get out, open the trunk, and press a button inside the trunk.

Do you think people would stand for this? It's not like the CPSC has any kind of control over "recalls" - they can recommend to the MANUFACTURERS that they issue a recall, but they have no legislative powers over the end users of products. This voluntary recall is just that - voluntary. This crippling of phones is ENTIRELY on SamSung, and is being done by them, without any push from any government agency.

So what is driving me crazy is, why is nobody starting a class action suit against Samsung for breach of contract, for removing functionality after the fact, from a product purchased in good faith? This would be a slam dunk, and would be ideal case law to stop manufacturers from trying this kind of BS in the future.

In the meantime, I will be trotting to the T-Mobile store tonight, tail between my legs, to turn in my now crippled Note 7, and exchange it for a crappy S7 Edge without the two best features I love - the pen and the iris scanner. The $100 I get won't even come close to covering the cost of all the USB 3 accessories, chargers and Note 7 specific accessories I bought for my phone.

What a scam.

Very well put. I think that the problem is in the EULA. The issue is that software runs your device and the EULA only ever licenses you to use it. It does not give you ownership over the software or the ability to claim any damages as a result of software issues or changes in future updates. This goes back to the fundamental problem of ownership, something that in the digital economy of today seems to be largely geared towards favoring the corporations. In layman's terms, you may physically own the hardware, but you have no rights on the software, how it is working, or how it will be working in the future. The best example of this was Sony PlayStation 3 and OtherOS. Sony single-handedly decided to remove OtherOS, a key function of the original PS3, in a software update. The market was in an uproar, but ultimately it was ruled that Sony was fully within their rights to do this setting a very powerful precedent for all digital rights.

Going back to the Note7, basically the EULA allows Samsung not just to cripple the Note7, but any other device that they have ever produced or will produce. Your ability to use the software is more a "privilege" than anything else. You can use it because the corporation allows you to do so.

avalvo

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I just got the Att text as follows :

AT&T Free Msg: A Samsung software update will be released soon, which will diminish your Note7 battery charge capacity to 60%. Samsung and the Consumer Product Safety Commission strongly recommend you power off and stop using your Samsung Galaxy Note7 immediately due to fire safety issues. Return your Note7 to the place you purchased for an exchange. All Note7 phones are banned on all flights per the USDOT including both carry-on and checked luggage. For more details go to att.com/note7 1:32 PM

I have the updates disabled via Packager Pro. LET'S SEE IF IT WORKS.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Let's consider this:

What a scam.

They have enforcement power over the manufacturer, so it's in the manufacturer's best interest to do everything they possibly can to get all recalled products returned.

I would actually love to see the results of a class action case against a company that is actively trying to recover all products recalled under direction from the CPSC.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would actually love to see the results of a class action case against a company that is actively trying to recover all products recalled under direction from the CPSC.

Why? Watching a case get dismissed during pre-trial conference is super boring.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Been on eight flights in past few weeks. Most common grumble by boarding and flight crews is bringing up the Note 7. Do you really think that will continue?

Note 7 is IMEI toast. Best device ever killed by engineering too thin. Irony

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand when people are saying that they are losing out on the accessories. Hasn't every outlet allowed you to return the Note 7 specific accessories? For USB-C accessories, you can keep those for your future phone that is going to have USB-C.

I think it's in Samsung's best interest to get all the Note7s out of market to avoid any more liability. Even if you choose to keep it despite their warning, I'm pretty sure it doesn't necessarily dissolve their liability. I didn't want to give mine back, but it's pointless for me. It's being crippled and there will be no support nor accessories for it and I travel a bit. Amazon took back the 3 cases and screen savers and Best Buy refunded the screen saver and phone. I'm back to what I was on August 18 except I now have a Gear Fit 2 and a 256GB microSD card. I will have to suffer through my GS7e until the next big thing.

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Well...I posted earlier the message that you can only delay the update 3 times is true. Received the Sprint notice this morning. Twice I delayed the update but the 3rd time there wasn't an option to delay it. I hit the back button to get out of it and it automatically started the update. Guess I'll have to go back to my Note 3 until the Note 8 comes out. I'm certain the next step is for the carrier to disable the IMEI numbers. Hope Samsung introduces teh Note 8 earlier than usual because of this mess.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Well...I posted earlier the message that you can only delay the update 3 times is true. Received the Sprint notice this morning. Twice I delayed the update but the 3rd time there wasn't an option to delay it. I hit the back button to get out of it and it automatically started the update. Guess I'll have to go back to my Note 3 until the Note 8 comes out. I'm certain the next step is for the carrier to disable the IMEI numbers. Hope Samsung introduces teh Note 8 earlier than usual because of this mess.

Wouldn't be suprised at all if it is the same exact N7 with a redesigned battery housing.

GSMacLean

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand when people are saying that they are losing out on the accessories. Hasn't every outlet allowed you to return the Note 7 specific accessories? For USB-C accessories, you can keep those for your future phone that is going to have USB-C.

Yes - as long as you bought the accessories from them. I don't like paying four or five times the price for things, so I bought my accessories from Amazon, instead of from T-Mobile. So no compensation.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes - as long as you bought the accessories from them. I don't like paying four or five times the price for things, so I bought my accessories from Amazon, instead of from T-Mobile. So no compensation.
Amazon is offering refunds on all of those things purchased from them

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Amazon is offering refunds on all of those things purchased from them

That is correct. HOWEVER, some are charging shipping. I bought 2 Anker adapters for 7.99 + shipping, but was only refunded .39 after return shipping. Not worth it. I had to fight tooth and nail. So that would've actually been a big loss. If they're sending a shipping label, you're paying for it from your refund. Loss!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That is correct. HOWEVER, some are charging shipping. I bought 2 Anker adapters for 7.99 + shipping, but was only refunded .39 after return shipping. Not worth it. I had to fight tooth and nail. So that would've actually been a big loss. If they're sending a shipping label, you're paying for it from your refund. Loss!
Wow, I didn't know that. That's pretty weak - Amazon is usually way better at going above and beyond on returns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech