Note 7 - 60% battery charge update is rolling out

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Bye, bye Note 7. It was such a pain in the butt to keep charging my phone since it only charged to 60%. I decided to turn it in and go back to my old Note 3. The Sprint rep said Samsung is changing the name of the Note, but he didn't know what the new name would be. Samsung also said the Note name is changing but wouldn't provide any more info. Personally, I didn't like the rounded edge screen. Screen protector didn't fit well, there was some distortion along the edges and trying to access the slider bar on the right was hit or miss. Like the flat screen on my Note 3 better. Hope the new "Note" is released sooner then the usual Aug/Sep time frame.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Bye, bye Note 7. It was such a pain in the butt to keep charging my phone since it only charged to 60%. I decided to turn it in and go back to my old Note 3. The Sprint rep said Samsung is changing the name of the Note, but he didn't know what the new name would be. Samsung also said the Note name is changing but wouldn't provide any more info. Personally, I didn't like the rounded edge screen. Screen protector didn't fit well, there was some distortion along the edges and trying to access the slider bar on the right was hit or miss. Like the flat screen on my Note 3 better. Hope the new "Note" is released sooner then the usual Aug/Sep time frame.
You won't like it. The next Note will have a curved screen for sure.

Still with my Note 7 on Verizon. No battery limiting update yet.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
You won't like it. The next Note will have a curved screen for sure.

Still with my Note 7 on Verizon. No battery limiting update yet.

Have you heard of anyone on verizon getting the battery limitation.

On verizon here, still able to go to 100%, still using my Note 7 as my daily driver with zero issues.

PeterProd

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
This update is Not really necessary, if your phone doesn't have a battery from the manufacturer that put out the substandard batteries!
On top of which you get consistently embarrassed with a msg telling you that your phone is a danger!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This update is Not really necessary, if your phone doesn't have a battery from the manufacturer that put out the substandard batteries!
On top of which you get consistently embarrassed with a msg telling you that your phone is a danger!
Batteries from two of the three vendors are at the higher level of risk and some of the batteries from the third vendor, which should have been immune (batteries made in China, approved by their regulators and only put in phones that were going to be sold within China), also burnt - but my assumption is that those are for reasons other than the spontaneous examples from the other two vendors.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Who confirmed? The media? Sure not the cpsc nor Samsung. They had suspected cases, but not confirmed. Then there is the message that pops up saying voluntary recall, not mandatory on my N7 and when I login to my Verizon account. I think people have confused fact and media hype.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Who confirmed? The media? Sure not the cpsc nor Samsung. They had suspected cases, but not confirmed. Then there is the message that pops up saying voluntary recall, not mandatory on my N7 and when I login to my Verizon account. I think people have confused fact and media hype.
Samsung reported at least 119 cases within the US to the CPSC, half of which included injury or damage to property in addition to obvious damage to the device. So maybe that's 60 confirmed and 59 more where Samsung just felt like reporting them without having any idea whether or not the customer actually lost their device? What's the difference between confirmed cases and officially documented confirmed reports? I'm not sure I'm following you on that.

As for the recall being voluntary, it is voluntary to the consumer. It's not voluntary to the retailers, suppliers, etc. You are not obligated to return it, they are obligated to accept it if you choose to turn it in. They are allowed to encourage you to do so, but ultimately it's always up to you. Even if they brick it, you can simply use it as a paper weight or coaster or whatever you want.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is I was told by the manager at my carrier that it was only 11 confirmed to be the actual device failing. The rest were reports of devices that never made it to cpsc or Samsung. Devices that were not N7's. You see the issue with reports. Media only says enough to freak everyone out. For some funny reason I have yet to get the 60% update. Been told no I can't have a return box and yes I have been refunded. I agree there were issues and I agree 60% will push people to return it. I don't agree with forcing it when they themselves and the cpsc say voluntary on every email and text they send.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
All I can say is I was told by the manager at my carrier that it was only 11 confirmed to be the actual device failing. The rest were reports of devices that never made it to cpsc or Samsung. Devices that were not N7's. You see the issue with reports. Media only says enough to freak everyone out. For some funny reason I have yet to get the 60% update. Been told no I can't have a return box and yes I have been refunded. I agree there were issues and I agree 60% will push people to return it. I don't agree with forcing it when they themselves and the cpsc say voluntary on every email and text they send.
Ah, ok. I'm referring to the official statement by the CPSC as to what they had reported to them by Samsung directly. It's a valid point that we don't actually know who is most accurate and now most of the articles about it make it seem that even post recall efforts were botched. At this point I wish Samsung had a time machine in their giant list of gadgets they make.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Ah, ok. I'm referring to the official statement by the CPSC as to what they had reported to them by Samsung directly. It's a valid point that we don't actually know who is most accurate and now most of the articles about it make it seem that even post recall efforts were botched. At this point I wish Samsung had a time machine in their giant list of gadgets they make.
Big issue is there are way more people still using the N7 than they are reporting and yes Samsung plans to release it refurbished outside the U.S. So here is the big question. Why? I think Samsung let carriers Identify bad N7's with that app they said they had during the first recall. Some didn't do their jobs and check every last device and said they were ok which caused the fires from bad N7's. My replacement N7 was someone else's or had been tested because the phone had no plastic wrap on it. The cable was unwound. Clearly Samsung doesn't want to admit they let carriers do their work and they failed to do it right. Verizon won't take mine back and said keep it it's not as dangerous as they made it sound. The cpsc and Samsung need to back off and rethink what they did.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Big issue is there are way more people still using the N7 than they are reporting and yes Samsung plans to release it refurbished outside the U.S. So here is the big question. Why?
I thought both of those points were fully debunked? It was just recently announced by Samsung that in the US there were around 50,000 devices still in use and I thought I read that the refurbished resell idea was definitely not happening. All of the nonsense out there being reported is making it very difficult to actually "know" anything. That's why I'm ignoring basically everything that is said by unofficial sources. Any blog saying they're quoting Samsung can name who they spoke to and give a direct quote or attribution. Anyone not doing that, is either regurgitating something they read and probably adding their own spin or is just fabricating it to begin with - such as Sammobile and Gizmondo.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Nope Samsung mobile announced it the other day. They are supposed to be released in a few lesser Asian markets that supply cheap pay as you go phones. But hey Verizon says I can keep mine and obviously they aren't sending out the 60% update to mine. Well that's what I was told anyway. I wont take it on a plane anyway. If I had to fly I can just use my other line that has a N5.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I would agree some do just ad lib the whole story, but if Samsung can release it in a small non marginal area without issue they may be able to get some of their losses back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173