I now believe GN7 can catch on fire!

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
In defense of the OP... I'm going to split the difference here and say that I believe the first batch should have been recalled. I had two of them out of the first batch because I returned one due to a screen defect.

I am on my 3rd Note 7. I'm keeping it till they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

< insert all comments about my stupidity here...>

before the first recall, I was doing an Android update. With 165 apps, it chugs on the processor pretty hard for quite some time. In addition, I had it on a wireless charger during all of this.

I happened to reach down and touch it, it was in a clear Speck case, and it was extremely hot. Being the day before the first recall, I just did what I thought was the logical thing to do...

I peeled off the case, and put it in the refrigerator until it was done with what it was doing.

I will say that it burned my fingers enough that I ran them under cold water for a while. Not enough until they blistered or anything , but they were definitely red and it hurt.

The phone should not get that hot.

The next day, the first recall happened. Shortly thereafter I replaced that one with my 3rd...

And it doesn't even get warm... I did the same Android updates, wireless charging at the same time because I was trying to replicate the problem... And everything was fine, is fine, and continues to be fine.

I'm afraid that some of the first batch got back out into the hands of the public, and I believe some people either faked it or used cheap Chargers and cables and perhaps contributed to the problem. Frankly I also suspect some corporate espionage...

But I have never had a phone burn my fingertips... And one of the phones out of that first batch did.

Just the opinion of a die-hard note 7 fan.

I think your lying. 😂😂🤣🤣

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It seems Verizon isn't messing around.

Verizon will block Note7 holdouts from placing calls, may bill them for the phone's full price

The Note7 final and complete recall started several months ago, allowing owners to swap the phone for something else. Still, not everyone wanted to give up the device. There's been some talk on Reddit and XDA about how to go about blocking the OTA updates meant to encourage owners to turn the phones in. Apparently a few thousand of these obstinate folks are on Verizon, so the carrier has opted to place the Note7 on a block list that prevents it from making any outgoing calls, except those to customer service and 911.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Verizon once again misses the point of mobile networks in 2014-2017. Sorry but almost no one is buying the Note 7 for voice calls; those that are probably know what VOIP is. If you're not blocking them from the data network, you're not doing much of anything. Also, blocking outgoing calls remains stupid because you can just text whoever you want to call you and they can call you without restrictions. #Derp.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I knew this was coming. I was told by a Verizon rep last month that this will happen... No out going or incoming only Emergency calls... It just was not worth the fight for me. I love the Note 7, I don't need the headaches at work and in traveling. Who wants to pay $130,000 fine if caught on a plane?
It's that really how much you have to pay?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Here's the source: https://federalregister.gov/d/2016-25322

"Any person failing to comply with this Order is subject to civil penalties of up to $179,933
for each violation for each day they are found to be in violation (49 U.S.C. 5123). A person
violating this Order may also be subject to criminal prosecution, which may result in fines under
title 18, imprisonment of up to ten years, or both (49 U.S.C. 5124)."

Long story short, it's a minimum of $450 fine plus expenses to the federal government and all other authorities with jurisdiction. For Maximums:

If you just have the phone and bring it onto and aircraft or cause one to be brought onto an aircraft, it is a maximum of $75,000 fine and 5 years in prison.

If the prior clause applies and someone is injured or killed, it becomes a $175,000 fine + up to $10,000 years plus referral to federal and state jurisdictions for prosecution for the applicable (attempted or otherwise) manslaughter or homicide statutes.

If you bring it onto and aircraft or cause one to be brought onto an aircraft with the intent to cause mayhem, it changes to a different statute with a maximum penalty of 25 years and $2,000,000.

All three are likely to result in a lifetime ban from aircraft.