In September ZDNet claimed that some Note 7 fires were false reports

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
galaxy-note-7.jpg

26 “false reports” from apparent Note 7 customers since the global recall began on September 2.

Of these 26 reports, Samsung only actually received 12 handsets, none of which were faulty. In a further seven of the cases, Samsung was not able to reach the supposed victim. And the remaining seven alleged customers either cancelled the complaint, or purported to have thrown their handset away.

Here’s a breakdown of false reports by country:

USA – 9
South Korea – 3
France – 2
UK – 1
Canada – 1
Singapore – 1
Turkey – 1
Vietnam – 1
Croatia – 1
Romania – 1
Iraq – 1
Lebanon – 1
United Arab Emirates – 1
Czech Republic – 1

Samsung reveals ‘false’ reports of Galaxy Note 7 fires

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
FTR I'm not familiar with the Trusted Reviews" website. Also the ZD report the refer to is from September. Yes of course there are/were false reports/opportunists, BUT there are/were plenty of legit cases also. You don't recall a product TWICE and end its life based on false claims!

I respect Samsung to a certain degree for doing the right thing and killing the Note 7, BUT don't let that blog fool you, the Note 7 is NOT a safe phone. If you have one you are required to turn it in, it's a mandatory recall. Rumor has it, at some point Samsung will update the software on it to disable the phone and make it unusable. TURN IN YOUR PHONE!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow, it's very misleading, isn't it? 26 cases globally that they couldn't confirm, 7 of which they have no idea but lumped in anyways, 7 the person said they'd thrown the device out, - of the other 12, things like, "the user ... was unable to prove". This is a non story and it's completely disingenuous. It's also from September, before sales of the second wave started and was subsequently recalled. But from the text of the zdnet source (who does not themselves have any source, meaning they fabricated it) there is only one anecdotal case of one person filing a false report.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Lemme see if I'm following this all correctly - Samsung "fabricated" these reports because they secretly wanted to write down a couple billion dollars worth of merchandise that they now need to also pay to dispose of, as well as undermine their own global brand name?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Lemme see if I'm following this all correctly - Samsung "fabricated" these reports because they secretly wanted to write down a couple billion dollars worth of merchandise that they now need to also pay to dispose of, as well as undermine their own global brand name?

I don't think that happened. I believe that, over 3 months ago, ZDNet misconstrued a statement made by some random person, either affiliated with Samsung or not, who they don't trust enough to cite, and then fabricated this highly misleading story in order to get clicks from the giant pile of sensationalized contradictory noninformation that was floating around during that time. Samsung has never said how many cases globally were reported nor how many were legitimate claims.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that happened. I believe that, over 3 months ago, ZDNet misconstrued a statement made by some random person, either affiliated with Samsung or not, who they don't trust enough to cite, and then fabricated this highly misleading story in order to get clicks from the giant pile of sensationalized contradictory noninformation that was floating around during that time. Samsung has never said how many cases globally were reported nor how many were legitimate claims.

I've heard various reports that peg the number around 100, BUT I think this is correct no official totals were released nor would they be, HOWEVER, they don't do recalls based on false or faulty claims. Yea as I said I'm sure there were some, BUT you can bet there were enough legit ones to warrant a recall. TWO recalls, 1 of which became mandatory, and lead to the cancellation of the product. This is pretty rare, and not lightly done!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've heard various reports that peg the number around 100, BUT I think this is correct no official totals were released nor would they be, HOWEVER, they don't do recalls based on false or faulty claims. Yea as I said I'm sure there were some, BUT you can bet there were enough legit ones to warrant a recall. TWO recalls, 1 of which became mandatory, and lead to the cancellation of the product. This is pretty rare, and not lightly done!

The CSPC and Samsung jointly reported over 100 confirmed reports in just the US. We don't have a global number, but we do know the US accounted for approximately 40% of sales. Since they don't break down which of the 26 mentioned above are in the US, and we know that all of the 26 mentioned are not false reports except for possibly 11 which they do not provide any information about, we can conclude that this story has no valid information to share at all.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site

Sarcastic disbelief is sometimes difficult to pull off in a typed response; I meant to point out I don't think Samsung based their recall on these reports in the slightest. They definitely looked into at least a few but it was their research that most likely made the deciding factor. And for people to disbelieve their motives is folly and dangerous as well. They would NOT go through the trouble, and time, and cost, and risk possibly irreparable damage to their brand name for a recall if it wasn't real.

Some people reportedly threw away their possibly defective devices, yet Samsung goes through with a billion dollar loss and time consuming recall anyway. That should be a massive red flag.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Even 100 actual claims aren't enough to warrant a recall when 3.5 million phones had been sold. Everything has an acceptable failure rate. I'm sure that small of a percentage was acceptable in the industry. The false claims and media witch hunt brought the Note 7 down. Everyday there was something on the news about this crap, and reporters sure didn't care to verify truth. Some of the biggest stories about the Note 7 turned out to be lies. Samsung bailed instead of dealing with BS claims for the duration of the Note 7 life cycle. Iphones have been apparently susceptible to the same issue, yet I haven't seen any media coverage. Samsung should've left the recall voluntary. Anybody who wanted to keep their devices should've been allowed to without harassing messages and updates screwing with their batteries. Funny most claims were in the US. I can always trust my fellow citizens to exploit.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Even 100 actual claims aren't enough to warrant a recall when 3.5 million phones had been sold. Everything has an acceptable failure rate. I'm sure that small of a percentage was acceptable in the industry. The false claims and media witch hunt brought the Note 7 down. Everyday there was something on the news about this crap, and reporters sure didn't care to verify truth. Some of the biggest stories about the Note 7 turned out to be lies. Samsung bailed instead of dealing with BS claims for the duration of the Note 7 life cycle. Iphones have been apparently susceptible to the same issue, yet I haven't seen any media coverage. Samsung should've left the recall voluntary. Anybody who wanted to keep their devices should've been allowed to without harassing messages and updates screwing with their batteries. Funny most claims were in the US. I can always trust my fellow citizens to exploit.

Correct, 100 out of the less than 2 million devices (not 3.5 million) devices wouldn't do it, but apparently 100 out of the 800k in the US was enough - and that doesn't include any that weren't included in the count, etc. The industry knowledge experts seem to think the failure rate was between 10x and 100x the normal rate. Why do you think most claims are in the US? Or are you saying most of the 26, I mean 1 to 11 "fake" cases reported by this fabricated article?

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Ok I can't even calculate how much this recall is costing them, and are you seriously suggesting they were just pressured in to it by the media, and by false claims? Get real! I applaud Samsung for being a responsible company and recalling a dangerous product, don't try to justify yourself keeping one. (IF that is what you are doing!)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Any type of claim like this from a site or similar source should be taken with a grain of salt. We have no idea what kind of biases the writers have, and where they got their data (it may not always be as listed, or they've misconstrued it, etc.).

Unless it comes directly from Samsung (and even then, we need to be mindful), then I usually dismiss theories or things like this unless their citations are from the manufacturer or a likewise source.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of the "actual" numbers, i REALLY sympathize with Samsung. NEVER saw myself as someone who could feel sympathy for a corporate giant, and YET, this weekend i was in Lowes standing near a Samsung refrigerator, waiting for my husband, and in just those few minutes, several ppl browsing around would see Samsung's beautiful Showcase fridge (door in door for handy items) and all i heard was "oh no way, their appliances explode, catch fire, etc", & after i bought mine (it wasn't a Samsung but NOT due to those reasons) the Salesman told me they CANNOT give Samsung Appliances away these days...

Hopefully, they can weather the storm and it can all blow over, but from DAY ONE of this debacle, i just don't see HOW. I predicted then & predict even more NOW that Samsung's best bet is to become a distributor rather than a retailer.... If this occurs, all i can say i am glad i snagged the best product they EVER made, the Gear S3 Frontier LTE....

To me the ONLY thing that could possibly restore their reputation that cause everyone to scream, "shark!!!, shark!!!",would be a 60 second ad campaign that took you INSIDE their laboratories, showed actual "sped up" footage of them "testing, replicating, & then solving" the issue of their exploding phones (AND washing machines) with some reassuring ad copy that "might" convince ppl, "its safe to go back in the Samsung waters"....

BUT since they have not yet "completley identified or isolated the very issue, i just don't see a them regaining people's trust just by coming out with new, shiny devices. There HAS to be something else done, or ppl will just "pass up their new phones" just like those ppl passed up that beautiful shiny new refrigerator.... : (

BTC

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Regardless of the "actual" numbers, i REALLY sympathize with Samsung. NEVER saw myself as someone who could feel sympathy for a corporate giant, and YET, this weekend i was in Lowes standing near a Samsung refrigerator, waiting for my husband, and in just those few minutes, several ppl browsing around would see Samsung's beautiful Showcase fridge (door in door for handy items) and all i heard was "oh no way, their appliances explode, catch fire, etc", & after i bought mine (it wasn't a Samsung but NOT due to those reasons) the Salesman told me they CANNOT give Samsung Appliances away these days...

Hopefully, they can weather the storm and it can all blow over, but from DAY ONE of this debacle, i just don't see HOW. I predicted then & predict even more NOW that Samsung's best bet is to become a distributor rather than a retailer.... If this occurs, all i can say i am glad i snagged the best product they EVER made, the Gear S3 Frontier LTE....

To me the ONLY thing that could possibly restore their reputation that cause everyone to scream, "shark!!!, shark!!!",would be a 60 second ad campaign that took you INSIDE their laboratories, showed actual "sped up" footage of them "testing, replicating, & then solving" the issue of their exploding phones (AND washing machines) with some reassuring ad copy that "might" convince ppl, "its safe to go back in the Samsung waters"....

BUT since they have not yet "completley identified or isolated the very issue, i just don't see a them regaining people's trust just by coming out with new, shiny devices. There HAS to be something else done, or ppl will just "pass up their new phones" just like those ppl passed up that beautiful shiny new refrigerator.... : (

BTC

Completely understand however the chances of SAMSUNG going under are about as good as my N7 destroying a small city. Highly improbable. Samsungs phones are just a small fraction of their electronics division. Last I checked, Samsung had at LEAST 6 different divisions. And with one of those divisions being Heavy Industries (ship building), that company is not going anywhere in any of our lifetimes...

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
FTR I'm not familiar with the Trusted Reviews" website. Also the ZD report the refer to is from September. Yes of course there are/were false reports/opportunists, BUT there are/were plenty of legit cases also. You don't recall a product TWICE and end its life based on false claims!

I respect Samsung to a certain degree for doing the right thing and killing the Note 7, BUT don't let that blog fool you, the Note 7 is NOT a safe phone. If you have one you are required to turn it in, it's a mandatory recall. Rumor has it, at some point Samsung will update the software on it to disable the phone and make it unusable. TURN IN YOUR PHONE!

No thx. I will not turn it in. If and when Sammy or Sprint decide to COMPLETEY disable the phone then and only then will I submit to the powers the be. The media nor reports of "faulty" devices has convinced me that this phone is anymore unsafe than my HTC EVO Shift.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I should of checked the date on the story . I just found it fascinating. Although I am waiting on my pre-ordered Pixel XL. My Note 7 is still working like a champ with No issues. The Note 7 is still the best phone of the year Period!! Funny no more issues or reports after the recall. Note 7 Rebel!!! ;)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No thx. I will not turn it in. If and when Sammy or Sprint decide to COMPLETEY disable the phone then and only then will I submit to the powers the be. The media nor reports of "faulty" devices has convinced me that this phone is anymore unsafe than my HTC EVO Shift.

Just keep in mind that once Sammy or Sprint send a complete disable signal to your phone, the recall period will be over and their liability will be discharged by running a successful (and expensive) recall campaign. They have no reason to offer you any money to take it back after that point, so there won't be any "powers that be" to submit it to.

Your money, your choice. But the phone will shift immediately from "Sammy will pay you a bonus to turn it in" to "Sammy don't care - it's your problem now" as soon as the recall period is over and liability shifts 100% to you.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's certainly sad, because people are going to exaggerate, make up rumours, and misinterpret actual facts (ie, a couple of phones had big issues, others overheated - but it wasn't like "all of their appliances or products explode") before actually listening to what is really going on.

However, I think Samsung will come back from this. Look at their TV's - how could someone resist having one of those in their living room? :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc