In September ZDNet claimed that some Note 7 fires were false reports

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Any other Android OEM this probably would have been the end of their mobile line. Samsung will push through IMO and as long as the S8 doesn't have this issue it'll blow over.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Funny no more issues or reports after the recall.

Because the phone is now canceled / discontinued. Jerry explained this here earlier (another post) that they are still happening -- you just have to sub. to some RSS Feeds from other countries. He said the US ones have stopped due to the full cancel of the product.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Wait, there was a recall on this phone?? Lol. All kidding aside, I'm still chugging along quite nicely with my N7 with full 100% battery thanks to this community that shared info about how to block updates. I am in debt to this community for the info and knowledge shared that is allowing me to still use this incredible device with no hiccups. I, like everyone else, will be very interested to see how/when Samsung rolls out the next Note.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Just keep in mind that once Sammy or Sprint send a complete disable signal to your phone, the recall period will be over and their liability will be discharged by running a successful (and expensive) recall campaign. They have no reason to offer you any money to take it back after that point, so there won't be any "powers that be" to submit it to.

Your money, your choice. But the phone will shift immediately from "Sammy will pay you a bonus to turn it in" to "Sammy don't care - it's your problem now" as soon as the recall period is over and liability shifts 100% to you.

You said all that to say what??

1. I have a Note Edge that's fully functional and READY to go.

2. They have to COMPLETELY disable the phone for me to login to my Sprint account, click on Note Edge and be back up and running. It's just not that serious. I'm keeping and using the phone. Next?

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Because the phone is now canceled / discontinued. Jerry explained this here earlier (another post) that they are still happening -- you just have to sub. to some RSS Feeds from other countries. He said the US ones have stopped due to the full cancel of the product.

I disagree. You telling me that the reason the reports have stopped in the US is because the product was cancelled? So I am the only one in the US using the phone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. You telling me that the reason the reports have stopped in the US is because the product was cancelled? So I am the only one in the US using the phone?

I'm not sure, but I think he means it's because population has been severely reduced. We went from having a total of around 800-900 thousand devices, to less than 50,000 (as of a couple weeks ago) - and since we were presumably already at a rate of between 1/1000 and 1/10,000, we could expect that there are a tiny handful of possible cases still out there - the ability for one to escape the mainstream news seems pretty high. So either they aren't happening, or they're happening so infrequently as to not be news any longer.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

No -- I meant that news places / blogs stopped reporting due to the phone now being canceled. Plus 85% (I think that was it) returned probably also helps.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Literally a dead horse. Of course people took advantage of the chaos for what they hoped would be a quick payday. My guess is, 99.9 percent of them failed or will fail because they'd have to submit the phone as evidence. Any incidents not easily provable will be tied up in litigation for years. Anyone faking it probably will not wait it out.

Enough were legitimate enough for Samsung to cancel the phone, bottom line.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You said all that to say what??

1. I have a Note Edge that's fully functional and READY to go.

2. They have to COMPLETELY disable the phone for me to login to my Sprint account, click on Note Edge and be back up and running. It's just not that serious. I'm keeping and using the phone. Next?

Apologies, I thought you had some expectation that once it was disabled you would be able to return it and get some money back. You probably won't. Your phone, your money, your choice. Enjoy.

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just keep in mind that once Sammy or Sprint send a complete disable signal to your phone, the recall period will be over and their liability will be discharged by running a successful (and expensive) recall campaign. They have no reason to offer you any money to take it back after that point, so there won't be any "powers that be" to submit it to.

Your money, your choice. But the phone will shift immediately from "Sammy will pay you a bonus to turn it in" to "Sammy don't care - it's your problem now" as soon as the recall period is over and liability shifts 100% to you.

Ummmm... this is not true.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The reports of exploding Note7s died down immediately after that final weekend when they announced the final recall. The line about there being less Note7s in use as a reason for the reports dying down are IMHO hogwash. We went from daily reports to no reports while at that time, according to Samsung, about well over 70% of people did not return their Note7s. I'm not saying that the reports were untrue but I keep reading that being used as an excuse and it just wasn't true at the offset. Someone here posted practically a daily report of links to Note7 fires but then after the announcement after that weekend, all of a sudden there were no more reports or perhaps just one more.

I don't have my Note7 anymore and the reason I returned it is because I didn't want to eventually get stuck at a time when I could no longer return it consider I paid full price. I had bought it at Best Buy and I recall hearing from a rep that they didn't expect them to keep taking them in forever since they had to be shipped in a special box which stores wouldn't carry forever.. and at that point it might be an issue between me and Samsung.. Yeah, good luck to me trying to work that out.

I didn't want to let it go, but it is what it is. I do firmly feel that this was all blown well out of proportion and when the media picked up on it - they became vultures trying to wait for the next story to happen because people WANTED to hear it. There definitely may have been problems but the sudden silence in reports that came immediately after the recall announcement was astounding.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The line about there being less Note7s in use as a reason for the reports dying down are IMHO hogwash. We went from daily reports to no reports while at that time, according to Samsung, about well over 70% of people did not return their Note7s.

As of November 5th, so basically 4 weeks ago, over 85% of Note 7's in the wild had been returned and almost 100% of the ones still at retailers were back processed for return. At that time, less than 50,000 of the 700,000 - 800,000 Note 7's sold to consumers in the US were still in the wild. I believe the 70% that you're referring to was from October 25th when they said around 70% of the Note 7 customers intended to remain with Samsung, either by planning to buy the S8 and future products or by directly switching to the S7/S7 Edge, etc.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As of November 5th, so basically 4 weeks ago, over 85% of Note 7's in the wild had been returned and almost 100% of the ones still at retailers were back processed for return. At that time, less than 50,000 of the 700,000 - 800,000 Note 7's sold to consumers in the US were still in the wild. I believe the 70% that you're referring to was from October 25th when they said around 70% of the Note 7 customers intended to remain with Samsung, either by planning to buy the S8 and future products or by directly switching to the S7/S7 Edge, etc.

No, I'm talking about the week or two after the final recall was announced.in mid October. All the daily reports of fires suddenly ended after speculation Samsung would make an announcement on Oct 9 and then they subsequently officially announced I think on the 13th. There is no way the majority of phones were returned during those 2 weeks and there were reports before November about how well more than half in the US were still not returned. I personally did not return mine until November since I was traveling. The stories of Note7 fires stopped or were diminished greatly well before the "As of November 5th" date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis