AT&T return question.

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just left my local corporate store. Was ready to turn in my 7. Was going to use an old phone until I found a Note 5. I do not want an S7E, wife has one and cracked the screen 2x.
Anyway, was told I turn the phone in and will get credit for the accessories. As for the phone I do not get credit for the taxes or the the amount I have already paid. I was told that AT&T is taking too big of a hit. What has others had happen when you returned?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T return question.

I do not want an S7E, wife has one and cracked the screen 2x.
The S7 has a Gorilla Glass IV screen, so it's not the screen. It's the same material as the Note 5. (Edge screens, if they're not properly heat-treated, can crack from internal strain.)

Anyway, was told I turn the phone in and will get credit for the accessories. As for the phone I do not get credit for the taxes or the the amount I have already paid. I was told that AT&T is taking too big of a hit. What has others had happen when you returned?
Check your state laws (or call the tax department). Taxes should be returned. (If AT&T thinks they've taken a hit, let them see the kind of hit they take if the various state tax departments go after them.) I suspect it was the employee, not corporate. The amount you paid should be applied to the Note 5. (You may need an attorney.)

Last edited:

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Does not matter why the screen cracked, it did. I tossed my 7 harder and dropped it from about 5 feet to show mine would not crack and it did not. My Note Edge took many hard falls and survived without a problem.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

When I returned my note the first time they gave me my taxes back. The only reason I didn't get my taxes back the second time was because I got the s7 edge. They should still give you back your money .How should you be stuck paying taxes on a phone you will no longer have ? As Rukbat said this was probably just the employee .He did not want to deal with it.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

It's like these discounts, where you pay the tax on the price before the discount. If I'm paying $10, the tax should be on $10, not on whatever they hoped to get before discounting it to a price it would actually sell for. Buying it gives you standing, paying more than you should hurts you financially, but someone has to be willing to risk losing to hire an attorney and sue for the small amount and the large attorney's fee. (In both cases - the discount and not getting a full refund - you didn't return the phone minus the screen, did you?)

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
As for the phone I do not get credit for the taxes or the the amount I have already paid. I was told that AT&T is taking too [big a] hit. What [have] others had happen when you returned?
I twice exchanged my recalled N7 (original and green-icon replacement) for an S7e at an AT&T corporate store. All four phones were on the AT&T Next plan. Both times, I was refunded the N7's full purchase price plus tax (but of course I then paid the slightly lesser tax on the S7e). At the time, that's what AT&T's recall policy on their website provided for. Did you check there to see what the current official policy is? That's always advisable before interacting with company representatives.

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I did check, does not give exact details. Was told if u was getting a new phone from them I would get the refund. So I decided to hold on to my 7 and will return it when the 8 comes out. I did verify that the recall does not have not expire.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think if you are on AT&T NEXT or an installment plan, they cancel out any future payments and reset your account so you can choose a new phone. I'm not sure if any of the carriers are refunding past installment payments. I would call AT&T customer service and explain that you have a Note 7 you are trying to return, and be clear what to expect. The Note 7 will be bricked fairly soon, and it's not going to increase in trade-in value once that happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke