Samsung officially announces the cause of the Note 7's battery fires

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
14725447_1339096762767200_7832387574359674110_n.jpg
Not too long ago from the time this post is being written, Samsung held a press-conference and livestream, detailing their investigation into the Note 7's battery fires, their findings (along with those from 3 independent engineering firms) and what they're going to do. Chances are, you may have watched it already, but if you don't, here's a quick in-a-nutshell overview.

THE CAUSE
The pre-recall and the post-recall Note 7s had batteries from Samsung SDI and Amperex Technology Limited respectively. Each variant has its own unique flaw that ultimately resulted in the recalls plus cancellation of the Note 7.

battery1.png
SDI:
The SDI batteries were found to have a defect in the top-right of the cell where it would cause damage due to a bent negative electrode tip and ultimately resulted in a thermal runaway after repeated charges and discharges.

battery2.png
Amperex:
The Amperex batteries were found to have a number of manufacturing flaws, ranging from poor-welding that resulted in the case being punctured and also causing an internal short-circuit while some batteries even lack insulative tape which could've reduced the risk of a thermal runaway.

WHAT IS BEING DONE
8point.PNG

Samsung has announced that it will have an 8-point quality inspection procedure for its batteries. Some are already being done as per industry regulations but some are new;

• Durability Test - The batteries are put through a bunch of tests to push them to their absolute limit, including overcharging, nail punctures and extreme hot and cold.
  • Visual Inspection - The batteries are inspected for any obvious flaws visually.
  • X-Ray - The batteries are X-rayed in order to spot any internal defects and anomalies.
  • Charge/Discharge - The phones go through an accelerated charge and discharge test on a large scale, representing heavy use in a short span of time.
  • TVOC - The batteries are tested and inspected to make sure any volatile organic compound isn't leaking even slightly.
  • Disassembly - The battery is taken apart in order to assess its components and other parts such as insulating tape condition as well as the quality of the welded tabs.
  • Accelerated Usage Test - The phones are put through a usage scenario replicating that of a heavy user.
  • Delta OCV: The batteries undergo constant inspection for any change in voltage through the assembly stage from the individual components to the actual phone itself.

Additionally, Samsung has stated that it will multiple layers of safety in regards to their batteries, which include;
  • Component quality: The individual components will be subject to much more stringent quality control methods to ensure that defect rates are kept to a minimum.
  • Device hardware design: The device's hardware design will be done in a way where the battery can be stored and operated in a safe manner, which also includes having a cavity big-enough to accommodate a "breathing" battery due to changing temperature conditions.
  • Software: The device's software is also made to constantly monitor device behavior and to automatically kick in preventive safeguards if any abnormal behavior that can be unsafe is detected.

14681589_1339097069433836_5842275356823776806_n.jpg
The Note 7 battery saga is probably the biggest tech fiasco of 2016 and ultimately resulted in the loss of what could've been a seriously great device, but it would seem that its death would not be in vain as we've gotten much-improved quality-inspection procedures and also know quite a bit about battery safety. It's about time that we put those since I personally feel that everyone can learn from this.

What do you guys think?

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Device hardware design statement above seems more legit than two different battery manufacturers being the problem. I am sure the manufacturers only design the battery based on what Samsung wants. So the space being too confining seems to me to be the most logical issue.

mickeyboat

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
One additional piece of news in the USA today article today was that 97% of all phones have been returned to Samsung or their carrier. The service to the other 3% has been shut off.

Nvincible

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it strange that out of alllllll the other phones on the planet this would happen to the only line of phones I've ever wanted to stick with... lol Just my luck. I definitely looking forward to what they come up with next!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it strange that out of alllllll the other phones on the planet this would happen to the only line of phones I've ever wanted to stick with... lol Just my luck. I definitely looking forward to what they come up with next!

Left a real sour taste! I loved mine even though it had the usual Samsung lag and all I still loved the device!! I got the S7 edge but it just isn't the same, and I got the v20 and while the V20 is smooth and nice it's nowhere near the Note 7 and I'm getting bored with it!. I really hope the S8 has a plus size model and they ditch the Edge. The plus size will be the closest thing to the Note 7.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Ditto "Nvincible" - it was undoubtedly the BEST effin (let's see if that one sneaks by) smartphone I have ever owned and I truly miss it! Using a Galaxy S7 Active right now with a 4000 mAh battery, patiently waiting for the Note 8 (or whatever they call it - Phoenix) to arrive!!!

Sean Legend

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 250718
Not too long ago from the time this post is being written, Samsung held a press-conference and livestream, detailing their investigation into the Note 7's battery fires, their findings (along with those from 3 independent engineering firms) and what they're going to do. Chances are, you may have watched it already, but if you don't, here's a quick in-a-nutshell overview.

THE CAUSE
The pre-recall and the post-recall Note 7s had batteries from Samsung SDI and Amperex Technology Limited respectively. Each variant has its own unique flaw that ultimately resulted in the recalls plus cancellation of the Note 7.

View attachment 250714
SDI:
The SDI batteries were found to have a defect in the top-right of the cell where it would cause damage due to a bent negative electrode tip and ultimately resulted in a thermal runaway after repeated charges and discharges.

View attachment 250717
Amperex:
The Amperex batteries were found to have a number of manufacturing flaws, ranging from poor-welding that resulted in the case being punctured and also causing an internal short-circuit while some batteries even lack insulative tape which could've reduced the risk of a thermal runaway.

WHAT IS BEING DONE
View attachment 250716

Samsung has announced that it will have an 8-point quality inspection procedure for its batteries. Some are already being done as per industry regulations but some are new;

• Durability Test - The batteries are put through a bunch of tests to push them to their absolute limit, including overcharging, nail punctures and extreme hot and cold.
  • Visual Inspection - The batteries are inspected for any obvious flaws visually.
  • X-Ray - The batteries are X-rayed in order to spot any internal defects and anomalies.
  • Charge/Discharge - The phones go through an accelerated charge and discharge test on a large scale, representing heavy use in a short span of time.
  • TVOC - The batteries are tested and inspected to make sure any volatile organic compound isn't leaking even slightly.
  • Disassembly - The battery is taken apart in order to assess its components and other parts such as insulating tape condition as well as the quality of the welded tabs.
  • Accelerated Usage Test - The phones are put through a usage scenario replicating that of a heavy user.
  • Delta OCV: The batteries undergo constant inspection for any change in voltage through the assembly stage from the individual components to the actual phone itself.

Additionally, Samsung has stated that it will multiple layers of safety in regards to their batteries, which include;
  • Component quality: The individual components will be subject to much more stringent quality control methods to ensure that defect rates are kept to a minimum.
  • Device hardware design: The device's hardware design will be done in a way where the battery can be stored and operated in a safe manner, which also includes having a cavity big-enough to accommodate a "breathing" battery due to changing temperature conditions.
  • Software: The device's software is also made to constantly monitor device behavior and to automatically kick in preventive safeguards if any abnormal behavior that can be unsafe is detected.

View attachment 250719
The Note 7 battery saga is probably the biggest tech fiasco of 2016 and ultimately resulted in the loss of what could've been a seriously great device, but it would seem that its death would not be in vain as we've gotten much-improved quality-inspection procedures and also know quite a bit about battery safety. It's about time that we put those since I personally feel that everyone can learn from this.

What do you guys think?
It's just my luck that the one Note phone I wanna get and it bursts into flames and shuts down airports. Hopefully they give us a good deal on the Note 8 and, obviously, fix the battery issue. I want my flipping smartphone stylus.

Vforce7

Banned
Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 250718

THE CAUSE

View attachment 250714
SDI:

View attachment 250717
Amperex:

WHAT IS BEING DONE
View attachment 250716

View attachment 250719

What do you guys think?

Should have been before the Note 7 release and certainly after the 1st recall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan