Going from note 10.1 to the Note 8

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Anyone move from the note 10.1 down to the Note 8? I have a GS3, Nexus 7 and the Note 10.1 and carry the Nexus 7 and GS3 with me a lot more than the Note 10.1. Love the size of the Nexus7 and with the note 8 being a bit bigger it will be just as nice, and I will have S-pen functions on a smaller size. The 10.1 is a beautiful device but just looks funny in portrait mode.

VolMan37421

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a Note 10.1 for about 30 days. My issue with the 10.1 was the way text looked on the screen and that it was just a little too big (for me) to take notes on easily. I returned it and got the 8.0 and have been more than thrilled that I did. Text looks better as does Facebook and websites in general. It's also very easy to carry and take notes on without feeling clumsy. I also agree with your comment about the 10.1 in portrait mode. I'm very glad I made the switch.

The only knock I have is that I agree with all the reviews that the 8.0 is a bit pricey. But, it does have great specs and works flawlessly.

Hope that helps!

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a 10.1 and I use it mostly for Drawing and games. I just bought the Galaxy Note 8 last night and love it. It is expensive and I have less than 8gb left with all my apps and stuff on it, but the size is great and I'm using this one more for Portability and taking notes, so no more paper on my desk.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I had a Note 10.1 for about 30 days. My issue with the 10.1 was the way text looked on the screen and that it was just a little too big (for me) to take notes on easily. I returned it and got the 8.0 and have been more than thrilled that I did. Text looks better as does Facebook and websites in general. It's also very easy to carry and take notes on without feeling clumsy. I also agree with your comment about the 10.1 in portrait mode. I'm very glad I made the switch.

The only knock I have is that I agree with all the reviews that the 8.0 is a bit pricey. But, it does have great specs and works flawlessly.

Hope that helps!

Im not sure about the 10.1 but on both the note 2 and note 8 you can change the font sizes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
How do you all like the 8 inch vs the 10.1? Im seriously thinking about dropping my 10 and going with the 8. Other than size, you all think its worth upgrading/downgrading depending on how you look at it?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I really like my GN 8, but I can do more on my 10.1. The 8" doesn't have the Floating apps. I used a fix from another thread here, where I can make a browser a floating app, so that satisfies my need there. Other than that, I love the size and like having it when On the go at appointments instead of using my GS lll with the much smaller screen. My only disappointment is that they don't have a 32gb available and the 3g/4g option as well. So in my opinion it's a good tablet, but if you want more options, go with the 10.1.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Hope that helps!

Weird, even on my note 2 I have the ability to change text sizes.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I really like my GN 8, but I can do more on my 10.1. The 8" doesn't have the Floating apps. I used a fix from another thread here, where I can make a browser a floating app, so that satisfies my need there. Other than that, I love the size and like having it when On the go at appointments instead of using my GS lll with the much smaller screen. My only disappointment is that they don't have a 32gb available and the 3g/4g option as well. So in my opinion it's a good tablet, but if you want more options, go with the 10.1.

Floating app? Not sure what that is but it sounds cool. I remember reading about that awhile back as well, ill look into that.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Floating app? Not sure what that is but it sounds cool. I remember reading about that awhile back as well, ill look into that.

I think he's referring to cascade view in Multi Window mode. On the Note 10.1, Multi Window supports either dual view (two apps side by side) or cascading where you can size and drag each around the screen.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that's what I meant, the cascade option. You can open multiple app windows on the 10.1 instead of having the side by side only on the note 8. It's nice, because it's like windows where you can have multiple windows to move around the screen. On the 8 you can only switch from side to side and only resize one app. I like to have an app for drawing open and have an Image from the internet to draw and move the browser around the screen so I can draw it. Just a preference I have and like I said I have that problem solved using Floating Browser Flux app. I don't understand why they didn't have that option on the GN 8, but probably because of the smaller screen size.

cybercrs

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have the note 10.1, but I did have the galaxy tab 10.1, switched from it to a nexus 7, and have now switched from the nexus 7 to the note 8. I can definitely say that the 8 inch form factor is the "sweet spot" for me. The note 8 is awesome. Its performance reminds me of my galaxy s3, and I actually like it better than the Nexus 7.

One thing I noticed when downgrading from a 10 inch screen was pdf text files being a bit small in portrait mode. This is still noticeable on the note 8 when compared to a 10 inch screen (though much better than the nexus 7). Other than that, I can't say there are any more memorable drawbacks. It really is a great device!

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Well I made the jump from the 10.1 to the Note 8 and love the 8in screen, micro USB charger, and form factor.

crcpeach

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Upgraded to the Note 2 and loved it so much that I bought a Note 10.1 - I found that it was too big to carry or use easily one handed, but I did LOVE the S Pen and note-taking features... so I sold my Note 10.1 on ebay and bought the 8.0. So far I'm loving this little babe. I take all my work notes and minutes to meetings on it, plus I use it a lot while sitting on the couch and watching TV. Couldn't be happier :)

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Note 8.0 for about a week now and was thinking about returning it for the 10.1 :eek:
The back button is driving me crazy on the 8.0. :(

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Note 8.0 for about a week now and was thinking about returning it for the 10.1 :eek:
The back button is driving me crazy on the 8.0. :(

I was having the same problem as you, because I'm right handed. I don't have this problem on my 10.1. I did try today the suggestion made in another thread here about turning it upside down. The buttons are on the top, so they aren't in the way. Only thing is you have to get use to the back and menu buttons being reversed.

Seems like for most of the problems I was having with this device, there is a workaround for them. I was going to maybe return mine tonight, but I decided to keep it. I think I like the size too much for the portability and although I use my 10.1 at home much more, on the go this tablet is working out nice enough for me to keep it.

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Upgraded to the Note 2 and loved it so much that I bought a Note 10.1 - I found that it was too big to carry or use easily one handed, but I did LOVE the S Pen and note-taking features... so I sold my Note 10.1 on ebay and bought the 8.0. So far I'm loving this little babe. I take all my work notes and minutes to meetings on it, plus I use it a lot while sitting on the couch and watching TV. Couldn't be happier :)

Same here, couldn't be happier, cept I sold it to my girlfriend!

Posted via Android Central App

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I consider moving from the 10.1 to the 8.0 a step up, not a step down. The screen resolution on the 10.1 is awful. I was surprised how much better the 8.0's screen looks.

Just got the 8.0 a few days ago and am very impressed. I've owned the ipad mini and Nexus 7, and the 8.0 is hands down the best 7-8 inch tablet on the market. Although, the battery life could be better.

sent from my Note 8.0

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie