Using tablet talk to make and receive phone calls.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
This is in response to a pm I received. The tapatalk app on my phone wont allow me to send him a picture from within the pm so this is for him. If anyone else has questions ask away.

So tablet talk is an app that works over local wifi or bluetooth. It allows you to sync your phone to you tablet to make phone calls and receive texts on your tablet. Texting is a pretty straight forward process. Once enabled on both devices you press the menu key and choose the option to sync between devices. This copies all existing texts from the phone to the tablet. You can both create and receive new texts on the tablet.

Phone capabilities is a feature I thought the device had but had not actually used it. Apparently you need a bluetooth device used on your phone. Just have said device on your ear and you can both receive caller ID and dial to make a call on tablet. Im not exactly sure where this app came from but im guessing it is a companion app for the tablet talk app since the design of the icons is the same.
edude7un.jpg

Like I said, I havent really played with this feature but I know it works I just dont know if you absolutely MUST use a bluetooth headset to have the conversation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Hitting answer on the tablet makes the phone pick up whether it's hooked to a bluetooth or not. I used to use this app a lot until I got the Verizon messaging app, it works even if your cell phone is off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I had the phone and the Tablet connected and made a call, only thing is you must have to use the Bluetooth earpiece. I didn't get anything coming from the tablet speakers as far as hearing anything in the phone call. When I hit the speakerphone button on the Tablet, it initiated the speakerphone on my Cell phone, not the tablet. Once I connected my BT earpiece, I can then hear the voice in the call. That kind of defeats the purpose of trying to make a call with the Tablet. I can just use my phone and BT earpiece. So not seeing the function of this exactly. Now I don't know if I did not setup the thing right or not. This is one reason I wish the tablet came with a phone capability, plus the 3g or 4g also. Then you don't have to jump through all these hoops to tether or use an app like tablet talk. Can you tell me if you can hear someone without using the BT earpiece, Jdub?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's made to only control your phone. It won't actually come out of the speakers on the tablet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
This is in response to a pm I received. The tapatalk app on my phone wont allow me to send him a picture from within the pm so this is for him. If anyone else has questions ask away.

So tablet talk is an app that works over local wifi or bluetooth. It allows you to sync your phone to you tablet to make phone calls and receive texts on your tablet. Texting is a pretty straight forward process. Once enabled on both devices you press the menu key and choose the option to sync between devices. This copies all existing texts from the phone to the tablet. You can both create and receive new texts on the tablet.

Phone capabilities is a feature I thought the device had but had not actually used it. Apparently you need a bluetooth device used on your phone. Just have said device on your ear and you can both receive caller ID and dial to make a call on tablet. Im not exactly sure where this app came from but im guessing it is a companion app for the tablet talk app since the design of the icons is the same.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/29/edude7un.jpg

Like I said, I havent really played with this feature but I know it works I just dont know if you absolutely MUST use a bluetooth headset to have the conversation.

sorry, not to jack this thread but i notice you have photo editor for the gallery on the screen shot.....i tried installing the one i side loaded for my note 2 but its wonky and obviously not optimized for this tablet. do you have an apk thats tablet friendly? can you post link?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
you no longer need to side load the app. The reason it didn't come with our note 2's out of the box is it hadn't been updated to work with jellybean yet. This app can now be downloaded from the Samsung app store and is free.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I used my Galaxy Note 8 today for the main reason I bought it, to use when out at Dr. Appointments for my folks, because the size is better than my GS lll. The doctor's office didn't have wifi available, so had to use the Hotspot on my Galaxy Slll to do anything. I couldn't go on android central app, read email, or even play my favorite game Draw Something, which uses an internet connection. So Wifi Only tablet, is really kind of useless, unless you want to read an ebook or play games, which is fine, but wanted to have more flexibility. The Tethering really lowered the battery on my phone.

I'm really liking the device, and was considering returning it for an International unlocked 3g version from Negri Electronics, which is suppose to be available on May 8th. Did some checking with AT&T and TMobile and they both said it should work on their service. I have Verizon though. Here's the thing, I have to pay for Phone service and Internet service on it, so it's not really worth it to have my Verizon 4g phone and then a galaxy note 8 with another service. Costs are getting ridiculous now. So I'm going to keep my wifi version and do the workarounds to get internet and phone(if I need it), but when/if a 4g LTE Verizon version comes out, I'm going to sell it and go for the phone/internet capability. That way It can replace my GS lll phone and I can bring my tablet with me everywhere.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, I used my Galaxy Note 8 today for the main reason I bought it, to use when out at Dr. Appointments for my folks, because the size is better than my GS lll. The doctor's office didn't have wifi available, so had to use the Hotspot on my Galaxy Slll to do anything. I couldn't go on android central app, read email, or even play my favorite game Draw Something, which uses an internet connection. So Wifi Only tablet, is really kind of useless, unless you want to read an ebook or play games, which is fine, but wanted to have more flexibility. The Tethering really lowered the battery on my phone.

I'm really liking the device, and was considering returning it for an International unlocked 3g version from Negri Electronics, which is suppose to be available on May 8th. Did some checking with AT&T and TMobile and they both said it should work on their service. I have Verizon though. Here's the thing, I have to pay for Phone service and Internet service on it, so it's not really worth it to have my Verizon 4g phone and then a galaxy note 8 with another service. Costs are getting ridiculous now. So I'm going to keep my wifi version and do the workarounds to get internet and phone(if I need it), but when/if a 4g LTE Verizon version comes out, I'm going to sell it and go for the phone/internet capability. That way It can replace my GS lll phone and I can bring my tablet with me everywhere.

Are you using foxfi to create a hotspot? i find it doesn't affect my battery on my note 2 very much at all. cuz, i hear ya, when i'm at an appt. someplace i want full functionality.

jlmtorch

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site

I tether with a jailbroken iphone5 using tetherme on ATT with none of the issues you noted above except for the phones battery...tethering does use some more juice.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
you no longer need to side load the app. The reason it didn't come with our note 2's out of the box is it hadn't been updated to work with jellybean yet. This app can now be downloaded from the Samsung app store and is free.

Nice thanks....I've never even looked at the samsung app store....anyother golden suggestions :)

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I meant, before I tethered my tablet to my phone I couldn't do any of those things. The only problem I had was the battery going down on my phone. I was just trying to say unless you tether, you are limited to what you can do on a WiFi only tablet, because not everywhere you go has an available WiFi Connection.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I meant, before I tethered my tablet to my phone I couldn't do any of those things. The only problem I had was the battery going down on my phone. I was just trying to say unless you tether, you are limited to what you can do on a WiFi only tablet, because not everywhere you go has an available WiFi Connection.

I'm just saying for me, i don't want or need another data plan ie: adding a 3g tablet..... i am happy to tether and that gives me a wifi connection wherever i go. my note 2 phone has such a great battery i don't tend to see an impact.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I dont NEED another plan, wifi is good enough. What I NEEDED was more internal space but samsung wont give me that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki