Do you think the Note 8.0's worth the price?

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new tablet, now that my Nexus 7 has shattered, and I'm willing to go up in price but I'm not sure if I should. I'm a big fan of my GS3 and I have thus far been very receptive to TouchWiz, so I was wondering if the Note 8 is worth the $200 premium when you compare it to the N7 (and the 2-inch screen size difference when compared to the similarly priced N10)?

People use their tablets for a wide variety of things, but I've found that much of my tablet usage has come in the way of casual browsing and movie/TV watching. I am willing to multi-task more with my tablet now that my Macbook Pro is becoming older and more frustrating to deal with. I'm admittedly skeptical as to how much I plan on using the S-Pen functionality - it feels like one of those things you envision yourself using and interacting with, but almost never use. For Note 8 users, have you found the S-Pen to be worth it? Additionally, have you found the app selection to be comparable or more expansive than the GS3 and/or N7?

I love my GS3 and envisioned the Note 8 as a GS3 in tablet-form, which would've made the Note 8 my next tablet in an instant, but the price difference is making me (and surely, a lot of people) think twice. What do you think? I'd greatly appreciate your help!

cybercrs

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
As an owner of a GS3, Nexus 7, and Note 8, I can confirm that the Note 8 is very much like a tablet version of the GS3 but with S Pen support. I can also tell you that I love the Note 8 even more than my Nexus 7. That said, the price is a big deal.

It would have been nice had it been $50-$100 cheaper, but keep in mind you get a $25 google play credit with your purchase and, assuming you havent taken advantage of the offer on another device, you get 2 years of 50GB Dropbox space. For me, these and the S Pen more than justified the premium on the device.

However, you'll need to consider your own situation. It sounds like you mainly use your device for media consumption and that your interest in the S Pen is limited. If this is the case, you may want to consider holding out for the Nexus 7 refresh coming in a few months. The Nexus 10 is supposed to be a great device, but I'm personally over ten inch tablets (my first tablet was a galaxy tab 10.1). 8 inch is my sweet spot, followed by 7 (and the difference between a 7 and 8 inch screen is quite significant). Also, I love the S Pen, but it only serves a purpose if you actually have a use for it. I mainly use it for taking notes; none of the drawing stuff.

Hope this helps!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I say yes. The camera still SHOULD be a lot better. The screen is fantastic, multi-window support is a life changer. There's been nothing I've thrown at my Note 8 that it cannot handle. Using this at home and at work makes things much easier. If it were $50 cheaper everyone would probably be buying one, but I don't see an issue once you realize you spend more for something that's as nice as this device.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
worth every single penny....never used my transformer half as much as this....I now use the 8 way more than my note 2...

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
ANNNND if you're rooted and able to use ANY app in multiwindow, it makes it 10 times better!! love the stylus at well, especially with Swype.

Sent from my m'fn Galaxy Note son!

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
For me it was worth it, but I am a heavy SPen user. I think if you don't need the SPen, there could be other tablets that would make you just as happy. I haven't done a comparison of all the tablets because my focus was on the SPen, but the Nexus 7 refresh might be good for you or even the upcoming Tab 3. If a friend told me their focus was on media consumption and that they could care less about the SPen, I wouldn't recommend the Note 8.0. I love mine and wouldn't give it up, but I wanted it for some very specific tasks. I'd pay $200 for an active digitizer any time. I almost bought the Surface Pro because of it until the battery life came in at 4 hours.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
For me it was worth it, but I am a heavy SPen user. I think if you don't need the SPen, there could be other tablets that would make you just as happy. I haven't done a comparison of all the tablets because my focus was on the SPen, but the Nexus 7 refresh might be good for you or even the upcoming Tab 3. If a friend told me their focus was on media consumption and that they could care less about the SPen, I wouldn't recommend the Note 8.0. I love mine and wouldn't give it up, but I wanted it for some very specific tasks. I'd pay $200 for an active digitizer any time. I almost bought the Surface Pro because of it until the battery life came in at 4 hours.

You make it sound like the note 8 isnt capable of media consumption when in all actuality it may be far more capable than any device that has preceded it.
The Spen just gives it more capabilities, if the user doesnt use it not a huge loss.

I use my note 8 for MOSTLY media consumption due to the fact that I have a 64GB sd card. When im feeling creative i fire up photoshop touch or some other drawing app and go to town.

Overall, the device meets every expectation I could have had and I am still finding new and exciting things to do with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You make it sound like the note 8 isnt capable of media consumption when in all actuality it may be far more capable than any device that has preceded it.
The Spen just gives it more capabilities, if the user doesnt use it not a huge loss.

Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression. I feel that any tablet can offer media consumption. The Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Kindle Fire, iPad Mini, the ASUS tablets, etc all offer media consumption and I think that is what any general tablet can do so I didn't think that needed to be stated. However, when someone is asking if the Note 8.0 is worth $200 over another tablet (Nexus 7) that also offers media consumption and we are only comparing devices based on that media consumption, than I would say it isn't worth it. I'm not sure how this device offers media consumption far better than any other device so based on my opinion when I am looking at a pure media consumption device, I think there are cheaper alternatives that meet that requirement. And if someone loves their Galaxy S3, I think the Samsung Tab series could fit the bill for them.

Max Weber

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I must say that I am very happy with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It definetly worths the price for me. For me it is like a computer on the go. I can watch movies, listen to the music, brouwse the internet, take notes with cool s-pen and find information very quickly. Of course it depens what you are doing, because you may not need all its great features. Buy I am in love with my Galaxy Note.

For everyone who is planning to buy Samsung galaxy Note 8.0, here is a great review worth reading: What I Like and Dislike About Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0: price, review and comparison

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
No it's not worth the price. To justify it you'd have to almost exclusively only use it for the pen and if you don't then why do you need it.
I'll look at it when it's down to $325. It's down to $380 on Amazon right now that plus the $25 GP credit puts you at $355, not bad but still too much.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well I have to say I am definitely in the worth the price boat. On top of what everyone else has said there is the increased use of the Samsung all share app when you are using a galaxy phone. It just changed names but not functionality. You instantly have access to everything on either device right at your finger tips. Take a photo with your phone edit it in Photoshop on your Note 8. Type up a document on your Note reference the document on your phone while on the go.

Posted via Android Central App

cardinalryan

May 1, 2013
Visit site
It's a very nice tablet, there is no question about that, but when you consider just how terrible the battery life is, you would have to say that the unit does not justify it's price tag. The battery is a colossal disappointment.

cybercrs

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you feel the battery is so terrible, but I dont find it signicantly different than my Nexus 7. I use mine for reading, watching video podcasts, sorting emails, playing casual games, and have several apps performing background syncing. With light use I easily get through 2-3 days. With moderate to heavy use, 1-2 days. But I never have an issue getting at least through one full day morning to night, and that's what really matters with a device like this.

pmcdunnough

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I am basically an iPad user but I just bought the Note 8.0 . Great tablet. I am very impressed. I think that the active digitizer makes it well worth the price. If handwriting is not important to you then I guess it isn't worth it but to me it is almost a bargain with the active digitizer. I had to decide between the Note 10.1 and the 8.0 and I am glad I chose the 8. The battery is fine on mine.

Philip

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice! The price point is indeed a little ambitious but if it means getting a great tablet with options (I think the benefit of microSD expansion is always underrated), I think this may be my next. The Nexus 10 seems to be a bit too huge for me - it's only three inches smaller than my Macbook so I'm getting the feeling the Note 8.0 may be worth the purchase.

With regards to battery life, I was never too impressed with the Nexus 7 in terms of battery life - getting 5 hours with heavy streaming or video watching was only doable with most settings turned off. Like most of us, I've become used to just carrying around a charger or an extra battery with all of my devices when I know I'll need more than a solid few hours of use with it, so I have few qualms about that.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice! The price point is indeed a little ambitious but if it means getting a great tablet with options (I think the benefit of microSD expansion is always underrated), I think this may be my next. The Nexus 10 seems to be a bit too huge for me - it's only three inches smaller than my Macbook so I'm getting the feeling the Note 8.0 may be worth the purchase.

With regards to battery life, I was never too impressed with the Nexus 7 in terms of battery life - getting 5 hours with heavy streaming or video watching was only doable with most settings turned off. Like most of us, I've become used to just carrying around a charger or an extra battery with all of my devices when I know I'll need more than a solid few hours of use with it, so I have few qualms about that.

I agree about the battery life...i guess if you are doing some heavy gaming it would be different, but for me, internet, email, ebooks, off and on for the last couple of days and my battery is at 23hrs +. granted its been fairly light use. If i get the day and then charge at night, thats all i need from my toys.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I sold my Note 8 to cover my carrier move. I regret it. Buying a new one ASAP. $400 or not, I loved that tablet. I will pay it again, so I mean that.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

michko

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Carrier move? I didnt know Note 8 was offered by any carrier....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's not, he used the money for ETFs or something like that I think. The battery life on mine is just as good, if not better than my Nexus 7. I definitely like it better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63