Using SPen to take notes on a document

skuni

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone simply explain how to use the SPen to make notes on a document? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks,
Steve

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone simply explain how to use the SPen to make notes on a document? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks,
Steve

hmmm....thats a good one. i would think you would have to import it into snote, pdf formats are supported. or you would have to import the doc into some other app like that, that supports spen note taking. alternately you would have to take a screen shot of the doc and make the notes on it, but i would think that would turn it into a jpeg or some such picture format. hopefully someone who has done it will chime in here.

10 Must-Know Samsung Galaxy Note II Tips and Tricks - CIO.com this talks about making notes on a power point using polaris office.....might be something there in doc too?

from xda forums.... MarkUp Word doc - xda-developers

Last edited:

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, I use the S-pen regularly for making notes and signing purchase approvals.

My staff submits, via pdf format through email, what we call a purchase request form. I receive the document, review it, and can sign off all from my Note 2 or Note 8.

First, download and save the pdf to the phone. It will by default be stored in download folder and can be found by opening the app titled My Files.

Next, open S-Note and press the menu button. Then select "import" from the list. S-Note will ask which type of file you wish to import and you'd select pdf. You will be taken to the My Files folder where you can select the folder titled downloads and select the preferred document, and press "Done"

The document will appear in S-Note and from there you'll have the ability to mark up, sign, or any other s-pen function.

Once you've done it once or twice, and know the steps, the whole process takes less than 30 secs.

Posted via Android Central App

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
A better application solution is Lecture Notes. Import the pdf file, mark, export and do whatever. You can import multiple pdf files, pictures (camera, file). Then export using something to Documents To Go's pdf viewer to save it to wherever it needs to go. Far exceeds Snores.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cybercrs

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

So with both S Note and Lecture Notes I find that after export the pdf is severely reduced in quality. Has anyone found a way around this problem?

For the original poster, though not ideal, Repligo Reader is a pdf reader with great markup tools. Not the same as writing completely freehand, but a good substitute.

BoldSaint

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Steve, I use the S-pen regularly for making notes and signing purchase approvals.

My staff submits, via pdf format through email, what we call a purchase request form. I receive the document, review it, and can sign off all from my Note 2 or Note 8.

First, download and save the pdf to the phone. It will by default be stored in download folder and can be found by opening the app titled My Files.

Next, open S-Note and press the menu button. Then select "import" from the list. S-Note will ask which type of file you wish to import and you'd select pdf. You will be taken to the My Files folder where you can select the folder titled downloads and select the preferred document, and press "Done"

The document will appear in S-Note and from there you'll have the ability to mark up, sign, or any other s-pen function.

Once you've done it once or twice, and know the steps, the whole process takes less than 30 secs.

Thanks a million DAS! This works perfectly!

ruckussjr12

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have also had this problem but with my 10.1 I have not found a solution however because there are some docs that i need to highlight that adobe for some reason will not allow me to select and highlight. but when imported to Snote they somehow end up all dark and just poor quality.

Wonder if anyone else i having that issue or if they have found a solution.

brecklundin

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
my new Note 8 hasn't gotten here as the boss ordered using the slowest mule in the stable for delivery so these are general comments....

Anyway, it pretty much it seems limited to using PDF's if you want to mark up a document or to somehow get it into s-note or other app. I have an annual subscription to Adobe's online converter because I grew fed up with other Android solutions. So I for 19.99us per year I can convert my docs to and from PDF's.

On my tabs I've used all the known apps like ezPDF Pro, RepliGo and Adobe PDF Reader. I also use Lecture Notes. Remember all of these are on a non-Note tablet so no direct s-pen use yet though that isn't what I trying to convey. I initially liked ezPDF enough to buy the Pro version. Over time a lot of small roadblocks have tarnished that feeling. RepliGo is my least favorite and I rarely ever use it anymore.

Lecture Notes is a wonderful app and I look forward to comparing it with S-Note. But for marking up PDF's I don't find it exceptional or special. It's not bad though so take a look at the free demo version for sure. Right now it is my go-to app for hand written notes or fast diagrams.

This leads to the current version of Adobe PDF Reader for Android. I have to say it is a nice app and it's free. The mark-up tools are basic but effective and it exports perfect quality files. I actually am recommending it to people. I should not I found it a very tedious app about 18-months back. Now it seems like a new app...I use it almost everyday but ONLY for mark-up and some reading. It does have a "night mode" for working in the dark which is also quite handy.

So I guess my suggestion would be to try Adobe PDF Reader for Android and if needed consider using the online PDF converter from Adobe. I am loathe to recommend anything Adobe but in this case they saved my sanity and made my job a lot easier. Heck, if they came out with it, I might even consider an Android version of Acrobat I like the reader so much these days.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I also tried Adobe for making and found it too restrictive. EzPDF Pro had and still has issues, gave up on it. RepliGo was another given up on. For displaying PDF files I use Documents To Go and for editing and note taking, Lecture Notes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

abzldy

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your response DAS! Your post was very helpful. Just got my Samsung Note 10. 1 for work and trying to figure out if and how it can do what I need. Its my first android product and its not as intuitive as I thought it would be....

michaelraj

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Das

Thanks for the tip. Can the same process be used for writing notes on a word, excel or powerpoint document that has not been converted to a pdf file.

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Das

Thanks for the tip. Can the same process be used for writing notes on a word, excel or powerpoint document that has not been converted to a pdf file.
This is exactly the information I too am looking for. I just got the Note 3 and my wife is about to get her Note 8 for work annotation on PDF's, Word Docs, etc. I am searching and will report back with any findings.

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Not sure how you got these steps but I've opened S-note a million times and there seems to be no 'input' selection under the menu.

The options for an existing page under menu are as follows:
Delete, Share via, export, edit pages, add tag, index page, add shortcut to home, print, save as, set as.
The options for a new page are:
share via, edit pages, record sketching, add shortcut to home, hide tools, save and save as

I would love to know how you got 'import'.

skuni

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I figured out how to do it with s note, but started using papyrus with the pdf add on. It works great for writing on pdfs.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,
Steve
I can make notes on a Word document with Kingsoft Office. When in edit mode, use the insert tab and choose Manual Paint. The s-pen works great to make notes on the document. I believe I found similar functionality on the other office-like apps I have. I don't know if they can do PDFs, I haven't found that option in Kingsoft but it may be hiding somewhere. Adobe Reader also allows a PDF to be opened and offers numerous editing options including a mark-up and signature option. I haven't really played with these but there seems to be plenty of options to explore. When you open the PDF the center option at the top tool bar with a pen and balloon symbol gives you the edit options.

michaelraj

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
To chuckr01

Just tried your suggestion and it works well enough. Only drawback is that you need to do this each time if you intend to make notes on different sections of the document as you cannot scroll. Hopefully, there will be functionality in the future allowing users to scroll down the document and write-up comments/notes.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how you got these steps but I've opened S-note a million times and there seems to be no 'input' selection under the menu.

The options for an existing page under menu are as follows:
Delete, Share via, export, edit pages, add tag, index page, add shortcut to home, print, save as, set as.
The options for a new page are:
share via, edit pages, record sketching, add shortcut to home, hide tools, save and save as

I would love to know how you got 'import'.

No problem. When importing you have to be on the main page of S-Note, the page when you first open the app and can see all all your notes and folders, with the plus sign up in the top right hand corner.

It's at this stage you select menu, and you'll see the option to import. You need to perform the import function before you open a s-note. The import function will then open the new s-note for you with the preferred imported document ready to edit.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Das

You're welcome! I do not believe this functionality will work with Word docs because the only file types I know you can import are S Note, and PDF files. WORD, Excel, and Powerpoint files do not support the s-pen so the ability to import them into s-note is not an option at this point.

However, using the Note Pro 12.2, and the Hancom suite of Microsoft file types this might be possible. I have not tried it yet on my PRO 12.2, but I will check it out and let you know.