Galaxy note 8.0 or nexus 7

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Alright, so i'm deciding between a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Note 8. I just turned 15 on July 2nd, and for my birthday I'll be getting a tablet. Now my birthday is passed and I have to hurry up with my decision!!

What I love about the nexus 7: The price, stock jelly bean ui, and the build quality
What I love about the note 8: Slightly bigger screen, faster processor, better software, s pen is kinda cool, and the camera just in case.

I live in Canada and all the note 8 reviews talk about how overpriced it is! The note 8 is about $425 while the nexus 7 is $240! My dad tells me not to worry bout the price but I still don't want to be too hard on my parents wallet for their sake.

Questions:
-Is the note 8 worth $200+ over the nexus 7?
-Anyone whos had a nexus 7, is it ever slow?
-Is your Note 8 ever slow?
-What do you think I should get if I'll use it mostly for internet browsing, and social networking.
-If I decide on the nexus 7, should I wait for the new one? (rumored to come out this month)

Any answers much appreciated!:cool:

The main reason to get the Note 8 is because you feel in your usage/line of work, the S Pen is a major benefit for paying the premium on this tablet.

If you are just using this device for web browsing and/or social networking. I would get the cheapest one available that has decent specs. I just bought my wife the Nook HD+ plus because it was 149, has a 9 inch hi-res screen, and all she wants to do with it is read, facebook, web browse, and candy crush.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Alright, so i'm deciding between a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Note 8. I just turned 15 on July 2nd, and for my birthday I'll be getting a tablet. Now my birthday is passed and I have to hurry up with my decision!!

What I love about the nexus 7: The price, stock jelly bean ui, and the build quality
What I love about the note 8: Slightly bigger screen, faster processor, better software, s pen is kinda cool, and the camera just in case.

I live in Canada and all the note 8 reviews talk about how overpriced it is! The note 8 is about $425 while the nexus 7 is $240! My dad tells me not to worry bout the price but I still don't want to be too hard on my parents wallet for their sake.

Questions:
-Is the note 8 worth $200+ over the nexus 7?
-Anyone whos had a nexus 7, is it ever slow?
-Is your Note 8 ever slow?
-What do you think I should get if I'll use it mostly for internet browsing, and social networking.
-If I decide on the nexus 7, should I wait for the new one? (rumored to come out this month)

Any answers much appreciated!:cool:

No.

Google Currents auto sync puts the tab to a screeching halt. Otherwise it is plenty fast.

Not as fast as the Nexus 7. Not slow but not snappy either.

The 8 though text is not as crisp. Both have the same resolution but the 8 is bigger. Everyone is different with regard how they like zooming. I wish the 8 had more resolution but at least its better than the ipad mini.

Yes if you can wait. The resolution will be outstanding for a tab that size. And it sure ain't bad now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
No.....I don't think it performs as well as it specs. I notice the speed difference when I'm scrolling content rich web pages. I don't consider it to be a big deal. Perhaps the difference is in Touchwiz vs pure Android. Why did I purchase the 8? I just think the 7 is too small for browsing and reading newspapers and such. Though its just an inch I read somewhere it calculates to 25 percent more screen space. It sure does feel alot bigger. 8 is the sweet spot in tablets IMO. If price is not an issue its a close call. I dont like the lack of storage and the bloatware on the 8. I dont plan on playing games on it but if you do you're gonna hit space problems at some point. Best thing to do IMO is to get a good return policy so you can try once against the other. Btw I also have an ipad3 which makes me a hopeless gadget geek. :)

Last edited:

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
The nexus is better hardware, but since you are a student, id say go with the note.

After 2 years of grad school, I can say that if you are using it as a tool instead of just goofing off or reading books, the s pen makes it better than any other device.

Posted via Android Central App

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The nexus slowed down for me too. The remedy was simple. Disable autosync on Google Currents. There is a faq on it on a number of sites.

TomRydz

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Note 8 benefits: it has a pen which is very convenient. Screen shots, pictures can be written on and sent... very nice. The Note 8 has removable storage, the Nexus does not. If you have a lot of music, photos and videos... you copy them from your PC to the SD card... and it does not take any internal storage. Nexus can be acquired with more internal storage but, no expandable storage. However, know that the OS does NOT store Apps or any downloads onto this external card... not a big deal. You can have multiple external cards don't forget. The Note allows you to control your TV and Audio equipment. Use the Samsung App, not anything from the App store.

Net: Note has RF out, External SD cards and a pen.

Hint: Go buy the Nexus, use it for a couple weeks, re-set it (wipe clean) and return it for a refund. Buy the Samsung... use it for a time and then, decide. Sam's Club (for example) allows a 30 day full refund on tablets. Test drive both.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It is impossible to say what the speeds of or the frequency of the updates will be. If you go with wifi only the only one that has to approve an update is Samsung. No carriers meddling. That being said Samsung has a pretty good history of timely updates and not abandoning devices.

Posted via Android Central App

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I currently have both of these tablets and I don't even use my Nexus 7 anymore. I just let my son play with it. I like everything about the Note 8 better (screen real estate, speed, ir, and spen) and the Nexus definitely isn't faster than the Note in my experience. If you can try them both you definitely should see which you prefer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I own both tablets. One is noticeably superior to the other. The one that is superior, strangely, costs about double the inferior one (although it is more that twice as good). If a $200 price difference is going to break your bank, buy the inferior one.

Thanks for my help.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

beavo451

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I also have both. The Note 8 is better than the Nexus 7. Better screen, S Pen, and the speed when browsing is about the same. I get more lag with the Nexus 7. Build quality of the Note is also better. The Nexus 7 had a creaking/squishy part on its left side that has gotten worse over time. If you search, you will see many launch Nexus 7s that had this problem.

I did get in on the $25 play credit with the Nexus 7 and now I got it with the Note 8. :)

TomRydz

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
You are welcome. I bought/returned an Asus (tried out Android). I then tried the Note 8 which I still have and may not return it... it is everything I need and, has all those features no one else has. I forgot to add... the Note 8 allows you to have 2 screens open at the same time i.e. two windows so you can run two apps side by side. Ever want to do this? Only the Note.

Whichever one you decide, I would suggest going all Google with the ecosystem.. G-Mail, Drive, Docs, Calendar, etc. While these things work with everything, I found that sticking with one makes things easier, sp.. when they come out with new software.

I do not know if updates are going to come to the Note 8, and I assume you mean Android. I hope so but, do not know. I would guess we will for a while until Android starts using new tablet features in 2014 and beyond. Eventually, the OS will not be upgraded due to hardware limits ( a few years I guess). How do you think they will stay in business?

btw.. I am retired and have no affiliations with any of these guys, just providing my 2 cents.