Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 MULTIWINDOW / SIDE BAR DISAPPEARED AFTER UPDATE - PLEASE HELP!!

Aylinnn

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i did a system upgrade installation on my samsung galaxy note 8.0 which has appeared automatically, and after that my side bar disappeared, it doesn't come back even when i push and hold the back key as i used to do before. Under the settings, the multitask option looks clicked but it also looks disabled hence i cannot unclick and click it again. How do i get my side bar back? I cannot use the multi window feature when i dont have my side bar and honestly it is not very userfriendly without that side bar since it has all the main apps alltogether.. I would really appreciate anyone's help with this..Thank you in advance..

Chris Taylor7

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. My Note 8.0 automatically upgraded to Jellybean 4.2.2 and the Multi Window function is now "greyed out" and no longer works. I have emailed Samsung Support twice but have had no response. This upgrade could not have been tested properly before release. This is very disappointing.

Chris Taylor7

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I got a reply from Samsung - they said they could not help me and that I should contact my local service centre. To make matters worse they included a contact link that turned out to be useless. However, I found the right number and phoned them. After 50 minutes on the phone (at premium rates) they have advised me to backup my Note 8.0 and perform a factory reset. I will let you know if this works.

thedreamer89

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I got a reply from Samsung - they said they could not help me and that I should contact my local service centre. To make matters worse they included a contact link that turned out to be useless. However, I found the right number and phoned them. After 50 minutes on the phone (at premium rates) they have advised me to backup my Note 8.0 and perform a factory reset. I will let you know if this works.

I was eagerly waiting for your reply, Could you update the thread, what happened after the factory reset?

Aylinnn

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Just to let you guys know, I also got an email from Samsung support telling me to do the factory reset. I did it. It took a few minutes; and then the tablet automatically started uploading the apps that I have previously downloaded, hence I didn't have to look for each and download separately. The only thing is, make sure you backup your photos, music, downloaded files and notes, if you have, before doing this reset, since they'll be gone.
It's all back to normal now, I have my multiwindow feature and side bar back. I hope this doesn't happen again!
Aylin

Chris Taylor7

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
The factory reset worked but I was advised by Samsung to use Kies to backup my device. This software proved to be vey unreliable and it took hours and several attempts to run a backup.
I had to run restort more than once because the restore process kept failing and when it did "work" I was unable to restore all my apps or my window or mail settings.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I thought if a waited I might be a little bit more positive about my experience. Sadly I'm still very angry. I'm very disappointed with the quality of Samsung software and their software support. IMHO Samsung hardware is great but their software / support is very poor. Sadly, I'm currently trying to exchange my Note 8.0 for an iPad!

pjewellone

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the information about the Jellybean upgrade. I'm very disappointed to have lost my sidebar and multi-window option.I'll give the factory reset a try, after I backup, of course. I hope it works. This is my second tablet. I had an Acer, which turned out to be an expensive paperweight.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the information about the Jellybean upgrade. I'm very disappointed to have lost my sidebar and multi-window option.I'll give the factory reset a try, after I backup, of course. I hope it works. This is my second tablet. I had an Acer, which turned out to be an expensive paperweight.

I went to display option under settings and clicked multi window option off and back on and it started working. I didn't have to do a factory reset to get it working.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Kevin Smith11

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

Just did factory reset, got my multi window back and a window that did pop up when pen was removed, now just a page. Used the google backup and pretty much everything download by itself. Email have to be re setup

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded the update to my Note 8.0 last night and everything works with no problems.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

lainieb1

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to do a factory reset on the galaxy note 8. I updated to 4.2.2 and my multi screen does not work.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Power off your device and then hold together the volume up and power button until the Samsung logo appears at which point release the power button until you get into a screen showing you the option to do a factory reset. Select and confirm the factory reset and reboot the device.

Posted via Android Central App

DROIDMAC348

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
The update turns off the "Multi Window" feature for some reason. You need to turn it back on to be able to activate the side bar again.

DO THE FOLLOWING:

- PULL DOWN THE NOTIFICATION BAR FROM THE TOP OF YOUR TABLET
- YOU'LL SEE "Wi-Fi", "GPS", "Sound" .......... SCROLL TO THE RIGHT UNTIL YOU SEE "Multi Window"
- CLICK ON IT TO TURN IT ON
- THEN GO TO THE BACK BUTTON AT THE RIGHT BOTTOM OF YOUR TABLET AND HOLD IT DOWN FOR HALF A SECOND, YOU SHOULD SEE THE SIDE BAR REAPPEAR ON THE LEFT SIDE.

WCW1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The update turns off the "Multi Window" feature for some reason. You need to turn it back on to be able to activate the side bar again.

DO THE FOLLOWING:

- PULL DOWN THE NOTIFICATION BAR FROM THE TOP OF YOUR TABLET
- YOU'LL SEE "Wi-Fi", "GPS", "Sound" .......... SCROLL TO THE RIGHT UNTIL YOU SEE "Multi Window"
- CLICK ON IT TO TURN IT ON
- THEN GO TO THE BACK BUTTON AT THE RIGHT BOTTOM OF YOUR TABLET AND HOLD IT DOWN FOR HALF A SECOND, YOU SHOULD SEE THE SIDE BAR REAPPEAR ON THE LEFT SIDE.

Does Not Work!

Pressing the Multi Window button takes to the setup page where the Multi Window is grayed out.

Holding the back button does nothing.

Thanks any way for the tip.

Web

DROIDMAC348

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry that didn't work. I guess the only thing left would be to do a "Factory data reset" located in your settings under "Backup and reset". That should then get you back to being able to turn on "Multi Window" and in turn activating the side bar. Of course you'll want to make sure you do a backup just before you do it, if you car to keep any of the important stuff like maybe your S notes etc.

Best of luck.

DROIDMAC348

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Does Not Work!

Pressing the Multi Window button takes to the setup page where the Multi Window is grayed out.

Holding the back button does nothing.

Thanks any way for the tip.

Web

Sorry that didn't work. I guess the only thing left would be to do a "Factory data reset" located in your settings under "Backup and reset". That should then get you back to being able to turn on "Multi Window" and in turn activating the side bar. Of course you'll want to make sure you do a backup just before you do it, if you car to keep any of the important stuff like maybe your S notes etc.

Best of luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar