I originally purchased the Droid series phones and got tired of the battery life so, I bought an iPhone 4 which I loved but wanted something different. So, i was mesmerized by the Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and decided to upgrade. I have a MacBook Air, iPad 2 and Apple TV. After owning the S3 for about 6 months, I was very upset over the battery life. I turned off the updating frequency for emails and such to preserve the battery life but then started questioning why I owned a smartphone if I never was able to use the features so, I went back to the iPhone and got an iPhone 5. Since my wife and her family are all pro-Apple, I got some heat for that decision about leaving Apple only to go back to Apple. Ever since Steve Jobs died, I always questioned Apple's ability to innovate and I see a lot of the same stuff coming from them that does not deviate much from the original design.

The Note 8 always intrigued me. The ability to use the S Pen seems to be VERY cool. When I was at Best Buy to look at the device, my thoughts were that the device was just ok. They did not have the stylus and I really did not know how to use it.

I wound up buying a cheap Acer dual core 7 inch tablet which was a mistake. Its a very inferior product so, I learned my lesson with that device. Now, i am torn between the Nexus 7, Note 8 and iPad mini. I understand that the Note 8 fits into a separate class because of the S Pen. However, since I am in the field of education, I am hoping that I can use the Note 8 in my classroom to engage students more. I have read some threads on the people that came from Apple to Samsung Note series.

Are there any people that bought the Note 8 and are going back to the iPad? If so why? And also, if you left the Apple World to go to the Note 8, why did you leave it? For the last month or so, I have been going back and forth about the Note 8. If I buy the Note 8, I have until the end of January to determine if I want to keep it or return it. The same would also apply to the other tablets. I assume I do not need to try out the iPad mini since I own an iPad2.

Thanks
    12-01-2013 07:34 PM
    The note 8 is OK but you might end up being unsatisfied with the battery life just like your previous Samsung device. Also the screen isn't the best out there. That said it's a very handy little device with the Wacom digitizer. Between the note 8 and my Asus vivotab windows 8 hybrid which also has Wacom digitizer, I've gone paperless. For the records I'm doing a distance MA program and the combination is unbeatable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    tech_fan likes this.
    12-02-2013 05:20 AM
    Should try iPad mini much faster than 2 and much better display

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    tech_fan likes this.
    12-02-2013 05:25 AM
    Depends on what you want. If it's the about to multitask and use the high precision digital pen, the mini doesn't come close. I've not touched my ipad 3 ever since.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    tech_fan likes this.
    12-02-2013 07:02 AM
    I picked up my note 8 over the summer and I have loved it. I use it to take notes in everyone of my classes. I am a chemical and biological engineer and it is great to be able to write out my diagrams and equations and then sync them to google drive as a pdf. This thing has saved me an enormous amount of time and paper. I have a few friends in class that use ipads and they definitely think the note is the superior device for taking notes in class.

The digitizer just makes a huge difference.
    tech_fan likes this.
    12-02-2013 08:02 AM
    I will jump on this also. I have been using the ipad 4 for the past year. I use it at work mostly which involves an incredible amount of paperwork and note. I used a nice note taking app with a cheap stylus. I upgraded my stylus but still was not satisfied with how I was taking notes. My son started stealing my ipad when I got home so I turned it over to him only to run to Best Buy later and grab the Note 8. The choice was two fold, 1 for the s pen. It has made me very happy with the accuracy I have moved even closer to being paperless. 2. The downgrade in size has made me more productive on it because it isn't so cumbersome to take around with me like the ipad was.

Battery life I get between 2-3ish days usage depending. App wise the Play Store had everything I need. The screen is very nice although some seem to argue it isn't. Perhaps that is true but for what I use the Note 8 for, it's perfect.

I also have an iPhone 5 but I am counting the days to go back to an android phone. I don't dislike Apple products, I just enjoy Android and the innovations that have been made.

Hope it helps

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app
    nnthemperor and tech_fan like this.
    12-02-2013 07:31 PM
    Yeah. This evening I was reading an article on the new Android OS (Kit Kat) and some of the new features seem very cool. So now I am questioning my iPhone 5's fate once again. My wife is going to kill me if I keep upgrading every year and springing back and forth between the IOS and Android.
    I will jump on this also. I have been using the ipad 4 for the past year. I use it at work mostly which involves an incredible amount of paperwork and note. I used a nice note taking app with a cheap stylus. I upgraded my stylus but still was not satisfied with how I was taking notes. My son started stealing my ipad when I got home so I turned it over to him only to run to Best Buy later and grab the Note 8. The choice was two fold, 1 for the s pen. It has made me very happy with the accuracy I have moved even closer to being paperless. 2. The downgrade in size has made me more productive on it because it isn't so cumbersome to take around with me like the ipad was.

Battery life I get between 2-3ish days usage depending. App wise the Play Store had everything I need. The screen is very nice although some seem to argue it isn't. Perhaps that is true but for what I use the Note 8 for, it's perfect.

I also have an iPhone 5 but I am counting the days to go back to an android phone. I don't dislike Apple products, I just enjoy Android and the innovations that have been made.

Hope it helps

brucesmays likes this.
    12-02-2013 10:02 PM
    Very well said jgp. I don't really care about the screen. I use it as a rough memo pad and it's great for that. Though the 8 inch screen names annotating on PDFs a bit challenging having to zoom in and out. I don't get up to 7 hours of mild usage on mine even though I rarely watch videos or even listen to music with it. Overall I like the experience.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    12-02-2013 10:03 PM
    Are there any people that bought the Note 8 and are going back to the iPad? If so why? And also, if you left the Apple World to go to the Note 8, why did you leave it? For the last month or so, I have been going back and forth about the Note 8. If I buy the Note 8, I have until the end of January to determine if I want to keep it or return it. The same would also apply to the other tablets. I assume I do not need to try out the iPad mini since I own an iPad2.

Thanks
    Yes, I work in an Apple ecosystem and own a Note 8 wifi

The Note 8 is a very good device with very good battery life. Some of the advantages of the Note 8 over the iPad mini [or standard] are the S Pen and the SD card expansion. The Note 8 an underrated device IMO and the benefit of being able to be free of iTunes, well that's valuable too. Lastly, the Apple Retina display is highly over rated. I wouldn't go back to an iPad at this time.
    tech_fan likes this.
    12-03-2013 09:47 AM
    You should really try the Note 8 and actually use the S Pen. That should make your decision a lot easier.

At that price point, if you don't need/use the active pen, the Note 8 doesn't really offer anything outstanding over similar tabs. Not to say any particular aspect of the Note 8 is bad, just that it doesn't warrant the extra cost otherwise.
    tech_fan likes this.
    12-04-2013 10:50 AM
    Nope don't use my ipad anymore
    tech_fan likes this.
    12-10-2013 06:00 AM
    Thanks for the all info. I made the plunge and got the Note 8 and Note 3. I have had the Note 8 since Saturday and have not touched the iPad. The display on the Note is so much better than the iPad.
    12-10-2013 08:06 AM
    An excellent choice. I also have the 10.1 and it still sees about 3 hours a day for work purposes, the rest is taken up by 8.

Via my Note 3
    tech_fan likes this.
    12-10-2013 12:05 PM

Hope it helps

Try the note 3. You'll love it.

JAG50

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    12-11-2013 11:31 PM

Hope it helps

Echo all of this but with the iPad Mini
    12-22-2013 06:29 AM
    A quick note on apps to try with your new note 8. Give lecture notes a try. IMHO it is the best note taking and pdf markup apps available and with the spen can't be touched.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    12-22-2013 03:57 PM
    A quick note on apps to try with your new note 8. Give lecture notes a try. IMHO it is the best note taking and pdf markup apps available and with the spen can't be touched.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    thanks for the Lecture Note suggestion
    12-23-2013 05:42 AM
    I also use Lecture Notes extensively. Never a crash, just works.

Sent via my Note 8
    GANote3 and yyue like this.
    12-23-2013 02:55 PM
    I could never understand how people can say the screen resolution is so-so. I think it is great. The first thing people comment on when I show them photos on my 8 is how great the photos and screen resolution look. I think its better than my daughters ipad mini. The whole galaxy/apple thing is the old ford/chevy debate. Their both good with little variables to set themselves apart.
    12-24-2013 10:52 AM
    I got an iPad Air the week they launched and after 3 weeks I was bored and underwhelmed. Sure the retina display is high resolution but iOS 7 does nothing but wash out the look. And I'm pretty much tired of the limits iOS puts on users.

I picked up the galaxy note 8 at best buy when it went on sale and love it! I find the screen of the galaxy, while not as high resolution, to actually look better. The colors are more saturated and the device has far less of a cold blue cast like the iPad does. The sPen is very cool and I'm looking forward to more use of it.

I like the feel of the note too. Sure it's plastic but it just has a warm and solid feel to it. Battery life isn't as good as the iPad, but it's not bad at all. Having an infrared emitted and SD card slot are big deals. An extra 32 GB of storage cost me $26 for the note and would have been another $150 on the iPad.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-27-2013 12:12 AM
    I bought the Note 8 when it came out and I have to say I am a big fan of the device. Only thing is I have an iPad Air and the battery life of the Air blows the Note 8.0 out of the water. My only other disappointment is because I bought the ATT LTE version, there has been no updates.

I am a heavy tablet user, so I would have to recharge my Note 8 everyday, while the iPad Air every 3 days.

Some other thoughts.

I hate 3rd party stylus on the iPad Air, the Note is a much better implementation of that. If I am going to a meeting and I am going to be taking extensive notes, I will use my Note.

I take a lot of notes, draw diagrams etc, the Note is the best tablet line for this. If you don't do or need this, get a Nexus 7 if Android is your thing.

The Galaxy line of tablets stink versus the Note line.

For reading Magazines, Web Content, Etc I prefer a 10 inch tablet. For portability I prefer 8 inch tablet.

Next year when I do my annual Android tablet refresh, I will probably buy the Note 10 that is released in 2014.
    12-27-2013 10:30 AM
    As a former ipad owner -- 1 ipad 1, 2 ipad 2s, 1 ipad3, 2 ipad minis 1st gen, I absolutely love android. I first went with a 2012 nexus 7, then a 2013 nexus 7, then (and still) the lg gpad by 2 (Ibought the second when newegg briefly offered it for half price, $175), and within the past cpl of weeks i bought a new note 8 on ebay for 279. I am in love. The spen has a bit of a learning curve but I'm using it more and more. It's amazing. I'm now thinking of getting the note 10 2014 if at the right price.
    02-10-2014 06:21 PM
    I got talked into the ipad. I am not a fan. Greatly missed my Sammy...had sold it. I got a great deal on ebay on the note 8.0 and am very happy again. And have a buyer for my ipad and no loss of money on it. Even happier about that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    02-19-2014 12:29 AM