Sudden huge battery drain.

alexjohnlittle

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I bought two Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 for my children. One of them has always had a shorter battery life than the other and I put this down to it being used more. It has recently been losing battery life very quickly losing about 60% in a matter of minutes.

Has anyone experienced this type of behaviour? I can't see how any app would cause such a drain.

I am new to this forum and any advice would be very welcome. I've read of a couple of battery drain issues, but nothing as big and quick as this.

Screenshot_2014-04-03-21-07-35.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That looks more like a defect than normal (or even abnormal) battery consumption by apps. How new is the tablet? See if you can get a replacement from where you bought it. Otherwise, you might want to talk to Samsung about warranty repair or replacement.

alexjohnlittle

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi B.Diddy

Thanks for your reply and warm welcome. The tablet is only 4 months old. I noticed yesterday that the other Note 8.0 we have (bought at the same time) is having very similar battery behaviour now, but with the battery consumption going UP by large amounts as well as down - very odd. I will post a screenshot later. My wife has a Note 10.1 that has what I would call normal battery behaviour, i.e. a steady decline over a number of days, so I know these 8.0s are not consuming power as they should.

We also had a problem with one of the chargers in that it didn't charge the tablets at all, so I'm wondering if the defective charger has somehow had an impact on the batteries before we realised it was defective?

Many thanks.

misternagoya

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi I suffered the same problem, what I did was opening my tablet and unplugged the battery for an hour, after that it was back to normal!

Posted via Android Central App

Mika Kat

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
When I upgraded my note 8.0 to android 4.2.2 it killed battery life. Its die in an hour or so. I returned it and got a lg g pad, couldn't be happier.

alexjohnlittle

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi misternagoya,

I'd read this this on another forum before you posted, but only left the battery disconnected for a few minutes. Even so the battery performance is so much better. Did this with the other note 8.0 we have and this time left it for an hour. Both are working a lot better now as you can see from the screenshot (mostly standby, but still a lot more hours use than before).

Seems a crazy thing to have to do though.

Thanks for your advice folks.Screenshot_2014-04-07-20-15-43.png

misternagoya

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear it worked out, there might be better tablets around, but my 5100 is the perfect allround package, telephone, note taker and tablet in one. I just wished mugen released an extended battery with cover...

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
When you folks unplugged the battery, did that force you into the stock factory setup, or does the chip retain all user data. I am tempted to do this if I don't lose anything, if it forces a factory reset I am tempted to wait for Kitkat first and see if that helps, went from 100 percent to 65% in 30 minutes last night, those 30 minutes were heavy wifi for updates I had not done for a week but still, both my Notes 10.1 (2014 and old style) would not have dipped below 90%.

KennethD

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
It may have. But unplugging the battery is easy I did mine and my daughter's. Battery life increased greatly. You need to know the u need to lift the plug straight up off the pins.

life is better with r00t

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks,Kitkat did not help so I pulled the battery, did not lose a thing and taking off the back without breaking a tab was much easier than expected., hope that did it, should know in a few charge cycles, the battery had a date on it, it is less than a year old.

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
No change, I can go from 100% to about 90 with 15 minutes of wifi app updates, just put a new battery in and did not lose a thing. Will let you know, if there is not change I am going to do a full reset.

limakilo

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I will have to try this...I've only had my tablet since April and it's never seemed to have good battery life, but it seems worse recently. (Perhaps related to the Android update?)

It's too bad because I like the Note line and this is a good size. But I could never walk around with it all day as it wouldn't last...

kayepkp

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Just now joined Android Central. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and could use some help with it
I am experiencing bizarre lose of battery life. So I would like to remove my battery and see if that would help.
Problem is I don't know how to take it out. Can anyone out there help me. Thanks, K P

Pete Dannatt

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have had a similar problem, but despite my Note 8.0 reporting 1% battery and going into a dim screen power saving mode it still continued to play YouTube videos for more than 4 hours. Clearly the battery monitoring got messed up. I will try running the battery completely flat and then clearing system cache on startup while recharging with the original cable and charger. Will report back in a few days whether it worked.

luiro

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Bro, your recommendation worked great. Before the battery drained by more than 20%. I unplug and plug the battery after an hour and instantly I got 57%. I think that the problem lies on how the android OS monitor the battery after the update. Is amazingly interesting how it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza