Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?

ScottGeek

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So, I get the pop up warning about holding the back button to get the multi-screen tab thing on the left edge... but you hold the back button and no tab. ??? Anyone else having this problem? Or know how to get the multi-thingy back? This worked before the KitKat update.

Thanks...

~ScottGeek.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine works fine. It's no longer on the left side. It's on the right and you no longer have the tab showing

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

ScottGeek

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine works fine. It's no longer on the left side. It's on the right and you no longer have the tab showing

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

No tab and on the right of what? I look in under Settings -> Display-> and Multi window setting is grayed out and checked?

Maybe I'm confused :eek:

~ScottGeek.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No tab and on the right of what? I look in under Settings -> Display-> and Multi window setting is grayed out and checked?

Maybe I'm confused :eek:
~ScottGeek.

When I hold the back button I get the pop-up and when I click OK the multi-window panel opens. To open it on any screen I flick from the right edge of the display (kind of a tricky motion, especially on the home screen, you have to come off the edge to avoid scrolling to the next home screen). My option for multi-window is not greyed out, this may be your problem. This was an issue I had with the upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2. I had to do the dreaded factory reset to fix it but others that had the problem back then may have posted a better fix. Search for this problem with that upgrade and see if a better option finally surfaced.

You might try this, it's a post from the Note 2 forum but the process should be similar since it is a Samsung device

To clear the system cache (root not needed) do the following (it will NOT affect any personal data, it's only a temporary cache area used by the Android OS. Clearing it periodically can improve system performance):

- With your Device off simultaneously press and hold Volume Up/Home/power buttons until you see Android System Recovery at the top of the screen and a green android laying down with a Red triangle above him in the center of the screen.
- Scroll down using the Volume down button and Highlight "wipe cache partition" and press the power button to select
- When it says Cache wipe complete at the bottom and "reboot system now" is highlight press the power button to reboot.

Last edited:

ScottGeek

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
When I hold the back button I get the pop-up and when I click OK the multi-window panel opens. To open it on any screen I flick from the right edge of the display (kind of a tricky motion, especially on the home screen, you have to come off the edge to avoid scrolling to the next home screen). My option for multi-window is not greyed out, this may be your problem. This was an issue I had with the upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2. I had to do the dreaded factory reset to fix it but others that had the problem back then may have posted a better fix. Search for this problem with that upgrade and see if a better option finally surfaced.

You might try this, it's a post from the Note 2 forum but the process should be similar since it is a Samsung device

To clear the system cache (root not needed) do the following (it will NOT affect any personal data, it's only a temporary cache area used by the Android OS. Clearing it periodically can improve system performance):

- With your Device off simultaneously press and hold Volume Up/Home/power buttons until you see Android System Recovery at the top of the screen and a green android laying down with a Red triangle above him in the center of the screen.
- Scroll down using the Volume down button and Highlight "wipe cache partition" and press the power button to select
- When it says Cache wipe complete at the bottom and "reboot system now" is highlight press the power button to reboot.

Thanks... Yeap, tried all of that to stop short of the NUKE option... and Yeap... I finally had to do that Awful Factory Reset.... I will now spend the next few days rebuilding all of my settings... Oh Joy! Oh Rapture!

On the plus side... Multi-window is not grayed out now... and the right-side swipe works.... and I have an empty Note 8... Apps are still downloading... I wish I wish there was a "Just Image My damn Android Tablet Without requiring Root" App :-\

I guess the trip to KitKat and losing my Multi-window... it was my turn this time... didn't have that problem when this went from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2.

Anyway, thanks again for detailed post.

~ScottGeek

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... Yeap, tried all of that to stop short of the NUKE option... and Yeap... I finally had to do that Awful Factory Reset.... I will now spend the next few days rebuilding all of my settings... Oh Joy! Oh Rapture!

On the plus side... Multi-window is not grayed out now... and the right-side swipe works.... and I have an empty Note 8... Apps are still downloading... I wish I wish there was a "Just Image My damn Android Tablet Without requiring Root" App :-\

I guess the trip to KitKat and losing my Multi-window... it was my turn this time... didn't have that problem when this went from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2.

Anyway, thanks again for detailed post.

~ScottGeek
Glad you got it going, I never found an alternative to the dreaded reset. I guess its a good time to do some housekeeping and get rid of the stuff you never used and clean up your home screens. There has to be a positive aspect, right? ��

ScottGeek

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got it going, I never found an alternative to the dreaded reset. I guess its a good time to do some housekeeping and get rid of the stuff you never used and clean up your home screens. There has to be a positive aspect, right? ��

You got it.... it's interesting to see what drops off when you get your google acct connected and wait for everything to reload... There a number of old apps that become "un-compatible" with KitKat.... Not many in my case... fun stuff...

~ScottGeek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol