Note 8.0 Overheating and battery drain after KitKat update.

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Here is a snapshot of my battery charge time via GSam Battery Monitor app. Here is the info from the chart.

samsungbatterychargechartupdated.png

Battery charge was at about 4% at 8.15am when I plugged the battery in for charge. Around 9.20am the charge was about 28% (~10% every 27 minutes...which is about 4.5 hrs for full charge, inline with what various tech publications claim for Note 8.0). Then the interesting thing occurs. The battery charge then instantaneously shoots up from 28% to 100% (fully charge). Does this clearly indicate there is something wrong with the battery? I am only getting 2 hours of full video play time which is significantly less than 8 hours claim by the same tech websites referenced above. The 8 hours may be with airplane mode, but i don't have many apps that are really pulling much data in the background. So the diff in the video play time with airplane mode on and off shouldn't be that different.

Any thoughts? Thx

donnajo62

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Posted this on the other thread about this issue--I was having same problem so I ordered a new battery. Installed it and something was wrong with it--trouble powering on and when it did, it gave me a weird reboot screen I had never encountered before. So, I put my original battery back in and now I'm getting GREAT battery life! Don't know why this worked but it did. Made my almost 2 year old tablet feel new again!

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Posted this on the other thread about this issue--I was having same problem so I ordered a new battery. Installed it and something was wrong with it--trouble powering on and when it did, it gave me a weird reboot screen I had never encountered before. So, I put my original battery back in and now I'm getting GREAT battery life! Don't know why this worked but it did. Made my almost 2 year old tablet feel new again!

Isn't removing the battery the same as letting it drain completely? I let it drain completely and kept it that way for several hours. It improved from 1 hour of video play time to about 2 hrs of video play time. This is still significantly below what it should be. I am going to send in for the service. Thx

donnajo62

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Isn't removing the battery the same as letting it drain completely? I let it drain completely and kept it that way for several hours. It improved from 1 hour of video play time to about 2 hrs of video play time. This is still significantly below what it should be. I am going to send in for the service. Thx

Apparently not the same because I also drained the battery before I did all this. Now my Note lasts all day even when in heavy use. Again, I don't know why this worked for me but it did.

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Apparently not the same because I also drained the battery before I did all this. Now my Note lasts all day even when in heavy use. Again, I don't know why this worked for me but it did.

It probably reset the battery charge information the tablet was storing and it now correctly knows when the battery is and isn't low.

Posted via Android Central App

Mal Lignant Tumor

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Here too is an interesting fix. I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I gave the Note 8 to my wife for her use. In order to "assign" the Note 8 in her name, I did a factory reset, signed her in and.....no more overheat warnings. It appears that, in our case, the overheating warning came as a result of an app that had been installed.

Ahmer Sultan

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Almost same issue happened with me .I properly downloaded Kit Kat update through Samsung authorize updating method via my Wi-Fi connection where I went through installing and rebooting process and even tablet started upgrading to Kit Kat which ended successfully but right after complete update Samsung Note 8.0 got dead. I even tried other options by using USB cable or chargers but all my efforts went in vain.

After this incident I would not recommend any one to buy Samsung Tablets at all as Samsung has completely failed when it comes to upgrading his soft wares from lower version to upper.

punkologist

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I now have a battery life. Down to 73% with heavy use. I would have hit the charger by now. Take off the back and disco the battery for a couple of hours. Recharge and enjoy. I have tried all the rest but this worked.
factory reset, calibration and cache. Disconnect.

I have just tried the disconnect.

Looks promising, It was 4% and warnings for low battery when i disconnected it, now I have re-connected and plugged it into charger without booting up and the indicator is at about 75%. I'll report back what happens after it's finished and I give it some usage.

anon(8162910)

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same problem since the update. I use an app called "Battery Doctor" which every little while sends me a message that my device is overheating and I need to "kill" a number of apps. The number is usually more than 45 apps running in the background and emptying my battery. As soon as I "optimize" my tablet, I get another message saying that I have earned from 2 to 4,5 hours of battery life. I actually charge my tablet every 3-4 days. However, it is rather annoying having to "optimize" all the time. Having said that, my question is, does anybody know how to stop those apps from running in the background? Do I actually need them? There are some of them which I have never seen before, I haven't installed them myself and I don't think they existed from the very beginning...

GeektoEnglish

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I tried your link, as well as a factory reset using the same method. Finally I pulled the battery, let it sit for a while, and then put it back together. Joila! Better battery life than ever! Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

tarrumpit

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Thought it worth throwing in my experience. Having upgraded to KitKat and seen the battery drain issues plus the overheating messages I returned the device to Samsung support. 1st time they simply flashed it which did nothing. 2nd time they diagnosed a faulty battery and replaced. I've had no overheating messages since then.

Battery drain is still worse than on Jelly Bean though.

Brad Nichols

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I just pulled the battery on my note 8. I will send an update when I see if it worked. My note 8 will drop quickly from say 78% battery life to 15% in a matter of minutes. Then it sits at 5% for half the day. I've tried thecache partition wipe, the battery doctor app. This is my last course of action before I take it back. I'll let you know what happens...

Brad Nichols

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
OK. So I did it. There is a video on YouTube from power 99 that shows you how to read move the back. Super easy. Disconnected and when I turned it back on my 1% battery was at 50%!! Then it started cycling off and on again a d wouldn't stop. Opened it back up and realized that a small piece something had gotten stuck between the power button and the contact. Finagled it out and now, the button is a little sticky (darn it!) but the battery life is amazing so who cares!!?? Still at 42% 2 hours later! Be careful when you do this and good luck!

anon(8162910)

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
After all, I tried the disconnect-the-battery option and my device has stopped overheating! It's been more than a week now and I haven't seen that message since. However, I keep seeing (through "Battery Doctor"), that a great number of apps are running in the background draining my battery. I haven't found a way to deal with that yet.

pepesk8

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Guys i removed the sd card, put it in a notebook and fix the errors and defrag with the windows tools and looks like my problem is solved. It has one day since i did it and no more message. If it happen again i Will comment here again.

ilhan 221

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Those who have issue of battery or heating with Kitkat update. Please do "wipe cache partition".it will remove your background junk. How you will do? >turnoff tablet
> press Menu button+Volume up+ power button.
>when see Note 8 logo,only release power button.
>then select wipe cache partition

Ad_1234

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I found a really simple solution to the battery drain issue! I simply turned off hotword detection in the Google app and my Note 8.0 is back to lasting days on a single charge and barely decreases when I leave it in with the screen off.

The hotword detection option is set to on by default when you upgrade to Kit Kat. This means your device is suddenly constantly listening (literally, with the microphone) for someone to say 'OK Google' to launch its voice search service. This seems to have huge battery impact on the Note 8.0, but not so much on other devices.

I found the solution on idroidspace. I don't have enough credit to post links but the article was called 'best tips to extend battery life on android 4.4 kitkat devices', google that and you'll get it.

Note that I didn't change any of the other settings. Prior to this I was losing about 5-10% of battery an hour, even with the screen off. My note is useful again! :D

Hope this helps,

Ad