HELP! AT&T is trying to force Kitkat onto my machine!

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I know that most of you WANT Kitkat on your Note 8s, but for me it will all but destroy the usefulness of the device. Kitkat is crippleware, and I really, REALLY do NOT want it on my machine.

AT&T, however, is trying to force it on with an update. Does anyone know how to turn that update off? If I end up with KitKat on this machine, I might as well sell it and go back to my ipad, because it will be of more use than the Note 8 will. I use my SD card for EVERYTHING. Music storage, document editing, encryption... ALL of which will be lost if they force Kitkat onto this machine.

It's true irony too, since before I knew how crippled Kitkat was, I was dying to get it on the Note.

Thanks for any help.

phildev74

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Now you do know that Kit Kat makes apps put files into the proper folders on the SD card, apps have been updated to do this now for the most part. Not sure about encryption, but each progression of OS is better than the last and if not third party apps cover a multitude of sins.

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I lost. Gotta factory reset, because they forced it onto my machine anyway.

Sorry guys... I've been dealing with the Kitkat crippleware since I got the S5. I know EXACTLY what it does, and what it does is prevent any app from writing to the SD card except for a couple of really crappy ones and the very, very few that you can actually put on the SD card. QuickPic can no longer manage my pictures. SSE can no longer decrypt my files, which are too big to fit on the main machine. Keepass won't work until I move all my files somewhere else and now that AT&T forced this crapware onto my machine it runs like crap.

You can tall all you want about making things secure with this crippleware, but it's all BS. People who use these tablets, REALLY use them, and use the SD cards are screwed, and now I'm one of 'em.

If I'm very, VERY lucky, I'll be able to factory reset the machine, root it, and prevent any further updates. But I'm FURIOUS that AT&T thinks it owns my hardware and had the gall to force this down my throat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781