Camera is exceptionally bad

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't expecting it to be great in the first place, however it's so bad that I can comment on it. What was stopping Samsung from throwing the Note 2 camera on this thing? Especially for the high price point.

Again, nobody is going to be using the tablet as their go to camera, however they could have and should have done better.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this too, pics come out blurry and not crisp, but I played with some of the camera settings and helped a little. I use the camera for taking pics of Business cards. This helps keep info I need on the tablet, phone, and my 10.1. The 8" size is easier to hold.

I'm really, really trying to love this GN 8, but I have til this Wed. to take back to Best Buy. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to keep it. I think like you, for the price they are asking, they left a lot of shortcomings on the tablet. S Pen, faster Processor, and better hardware or Not, I think this device could have been a lot better, especially for the price. I really have no complaints with my 10.1, except I'm not going to drag that big thing around with me everywhere, hence the reason for this purchase. I don't want to get a different tablet like the Nexus 7, just because the S Pen is the biggest plus for this other than the size.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
As a whole I love the device. The camera is really my only gripe. I shouldn't even really have mentioned it, however it is disapointing. We paid a premium for a premium device. It IS a premium device. Skimping on the camera to keep the costs down isn't really a valid excuse here. And since the internals almost mirror the Note 2, the camera should as well IMO. Again, I'm not going out to take a bunch of photos with this thing, but a one or two off should be at least of some quality that don't make others' eyes melt.

And to call them "not crisp" and "blurry" is an understatement. They're total garbage. Polaroid from the 70s had better picture quality.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Does the Note 2 have a flash on it? I'm almost considering either selling my GS lll and getting a Note 2 or since I'm not due for a phone update until spring 2014, get a Note 3. It's still too small to do what I want with at Dr. Appointments and when I'm out, so I may just keep the GN 8. Like I said, teetering back and forth on the decision whether to keep it or not. I know I'll miss it If It's gone, so it'll be a last minute decision for sure.

cybercrs

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
So I'm not making excuses for the quality of the camera... its not the best. But this is still a great tablet and if you do keep it you can improve your camera experience by using a combination of Camera Zoom FX (alternative camera app that has a stable shot setting) and Perfectly Clear (which auto fixes sharpness, brightness, etc.). You might find yourself much happier with the results.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
LOL I never expect a great camera in my tablets. It is a tablet and not designed to be a primary high-end camera.

Love my Note 8

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Seems hit and miss with the camera. More like a focusing issue than anything. I have taken some very sharp pictures and blurry ones. I also double check and it looks like there is a plastic wrap around the lens like how the galaxy s4 had one, but I am not gong to remove this off.

I use the camera on my Phone to take pictures of job sites and projects all the time. I specific got the Note 8 so I could annotate them for projects.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have not found this camera to be an issue. I find that for a 5 mega pixel camera it is as good as any similar camera. The issue I find is that holding it steady while it focuses just before the shot is more difficult due to its size and weight. And of course, if you use a bookcover style case you can't fold the front cover over or the camera is covered so you have more built-in instability. For images where the camera can be held steady near, portrait, and distance shots are as crisp for me as any other 5 mega pixel camera I have used.
But for me it is not really important as I got the Note 8 for a great price when purchasing a new S4 from AT&T. The S4's 13 mega pixel camera is my go to point-and-shoot camera due to its great sensor density. For things like electronically depositing checks and reading QR and bar codes the Note 8's camera works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18