Firmware update - screen "freezing" ?

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Ever since I applied the recent firmware update, my touch screen "freezes" every once in a while. The screen will be unresponsive to any touch input for a couple of seconds. It seems to be just the "input" that freezes (as opposed to the whole tablet), as I am pretty sure that I have received notifications/sounds while the screen was unresponsive. Also, during this time, if I press the "home" button, it does not respond immediately either -- after a slight delay (I assume the same as the touch screen becomes responsive again), it will go to the home screen. I have "Thumb Keyboard" installed and thought maybe that might be causing problems, so I set it back to the standard Samsung input keyboard, but I still experience these "freezes". Is anyone else experiencing this? It is VERY frustrating -- especially when playing a game!

catberryday

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed after the last update (on sunday) mine doesn't seem to run as smoothly as it did before the update. It is annoying to say the least.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Add one more voice to this gripe. It's most noticeable on games and swiping notifications off the pull-down menu.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Same thing here. Why does Samsung release such POS updates?
I have the same problem with my Samsung TV's, new firmware updates make the set worst instead of better.

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Just to follow up to this thread, I did a factory reset. I encrypted the tab (it was also previously encrypted). And noticed the "freeze" on the keyboard the very first time I tried to login (although, it didn't seem to freeze for near as long). I have since updated all of the default apps that came pre-installed and only added Scramble and Kik, and am still getting the freezing (back to the same frustrating several seconds).

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I am now having the freezing issue also. It seems to have started in the last few days. This is on the AT&T Note 8.

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My new (refurb) wifi only Note 8.0 definitely has this issue. I first noticed it in games, but have also seen it in the launcher (both in Apex launcher and stock Touchwiz, though I dare say it was worse when I was running Apex) and when using the on-screen keyboard. I got mine refurbished and was worrying that I would have to deal with returning it or getting it serviced right away, but after seeing this thread and a longer one on XDA regarding this issue, the problem seems to be more widespread. So, I'm thinking it may be a firmware issue. My unit had 3-4 OTA updates in a row right out of the box ...

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Please explicitly post your firmware version so we can localize it to a specific build or builds. I'm on MF1 and experiencing intermittent touchscreen non responsiveness (I wouldn't call it freezing because dynamic video images continue despite the touchscreen not responding).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Please explicitly post your firmware version so we can localize it to a specific build or builds. I'm on MF1 and experiencing intermittent touchscreen non responsiveness (I wouldn't call it freezing because dynamic video images continue despite the touchscreen not responding).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

MF1 here also

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Good to see that I'm not the only one having this issue. I thought I had a bad device and was about to return it.

Build MF1 for me, too.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know what the most current update is and does (MF2?) I have one downloaded to my tab (which is currently on MF1) but haven't installed it fearing that another bug will appear such as the touchscreen nonresponse issue that appears to have been introduced by MF1.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
On my AT&T SGH-1467 MF1 is the latest update when I check for updates.

I have also noticed that using the S pen reduces both the frequency and duration of the "freezing" but it still happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34