How to backup Galaxy Note 8?

bbmountain

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm an Android newbie (purchased Galaxy Note 8 two days ago.) I can't figure out how to do a backup of the device. I've spent a lot of Google time but didn't find anything that was very useful. Under Settings, Backup and reset...I have back up my data checked. That indicates that it backs up application data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers.
Under the Cloud tab, personal data management, Back up and restore...Auto backup says "on". But under Backup options (Select data to back up) it only lists "Wallpaper"!
I'm a fanatic about backing up my iPad & iPod Touch using both iCloud & iTunes. Will the things I have mentioned above be enough to restore my Note 8 if I need to do that? If something bad happens to my device I would like to be able to restore it to its pre-problem state.
If the above steps don't create full "real" backup/restore files...what do I need to do?
Thanks in advance!

diabloking

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Android newbie (purchased Galaxy Note 8 two days ago.) I can't figure out how to do a backup of the device. I've spent a lot of Google time but didn't find anything that was very useful. Under Settings, Backup and reset...I have back up my data checked. That indicates that it backs up application data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers.
Under the Cloud tab, personal data management, Back up and restore...Auto backup says "on". But under Backup options (Select data to back up) it only lists "Wallpaper"!
I'm a fanatic about backing up my iPad & iPod Touch using both iCloud & iTunes. Will the things I have mentioned above be enough to restore my Note 8 if I need to do that? If something bad happens to my device I would like to be able to restore it to its pre-problem state.
If the above steps don't create full "real" backup/restore files...what do I need to do?
Thanks in advance!

AFAIK there isn't really a true way to backup your device unless you root it and install a custom recovery like TWRP or ClockworkMod.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
With the backup and restore set you'll get everything (apps, passwords, bookmarks) but there isn't a full backup restore to right where you were when you backed it up unless you root. That being said of you do go that route you can use titanium backup and then all you have to do is sign back in and then download that one app and everything will be restored to your last back up.

Posted via Android Central App

betsuni

May 23, 2011
Visit site
You can use Helium (search the play store for it) and a computer to back up your apps and data onto your external memory card. Best thing is that you don't have to have root. Also you can use the samsung program and their system to back up the samsung apps.

If you choose to use the app, it has you turning on debug mode and ptp settings to get it set up. Once you set it up you will want to return the device to mtp mode before you disconnect it from the computer (pull down the notification shade it will be there). Also turn off the usb debug mode. The disconnect the tablet from the computer and restart it before trying backing it up.