Using Samsung Note 8 with a CF/SD Card Reader

tori58

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
:confused: Does anyone know why the Note8 cannot handle a CF/SD Card Reader?
is it a driver or power problem?

I'd love to buy one, but one of the main uses would be to backup photos from CF & SD Cards to the 32g internal, whilst we are travelling.

Sad part is I can't get a straight answer from the tech people - maybe someone who has one can test it and tell me....txs:-\:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Note8 & Card Reader

Couple of things:

I am only aware of 16GB Note 8 not 32gb.

Note 8 does have USB "on the go" hosting capability so you should be able to hook a card reader up via a USB OTG dongle. But the dongle and reader cost additioal $$

However, if I were you, I would consider just getting a microsd to sd adapter card (which are typically included with the microsd card) which would enable you to use a micro sd card in your cam. When you want to backup your pics, just remove the SD adapter card from the cam, remove the microsd from the SD card adapter and pop it directly into the tab. From there you could transfer it to the tab's internal memory or to the 50gb dropbox account you get when you register your tab (provided you have an internet connection).

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

brecklundin

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things:

I am only aware of 16GB Note 8 not 32gb.

Note 8 does have USB "on the go" hosting capability so you should be able to hook a card reader up via a USB OTG dongle. But the dongle and reader cost additioal $$

However, if I were you, I would consider just getting a microsd to sd adapter card (which are typically included with the microsd card) which would enable you to use a micro sd card in your cam. When you want to backup your pics, just remove the SD adapter card from the cam, remove the microsd from the SD card adapter and pop it directly into the tab. From there you could transfer it to the tab's internal memory or to the 50gb dropbox account you get when you register your tab (provided you have an internet connection).

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

OP was asking about moving files from CF to SD card. As in compact flash to SD not micro SD to full size SD. That would me a CF card reader in order to get at the data.

Lots of DSLR's use CF cards for a variety of reasons but most are moving to SDXC/SDHC or allowing both. Soon enough they will phase out the CF cards to save room and make smaller bodies even for pro line gear.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Note8 & Card Reader

OP was asking about moving files from CF to SD card. As in compact flash to SD not micro SD to full size SD. That would me a CF card reader in order to get at the data.

Lots of DSLR's use CF cards for a variety of reasons but most are moving to SDXC/SDHC or allowing both. Soon enough they will phase out the CF cards to save room and make smaller bodies even for pro line gear.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Um actually, if you re-read the OP it says "CF & SD cards". I figured if the op had a camera with SD storage, they could preferentially use that cam and use the method I described (i.e., use a microSD card in their SD-based camera using an adapter). Obviously, if they are limited to CF or preferentially use the CF camera then they would need to go with the USB OTG dongle.

To be honest, I personally would not "back up" to my Note 8 device because of its limited storage (16GB) compared to the cam storage cards of 32GB and even 64GB I typically use in my cameras. But I might consider using it as a conduit (again via the Micro SD CARD slot) to online storage (Dropbox, etc.) by using a microSD card in my SD card based cam by using a microSD to SD adapter as I described above.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
:confused: Does anyone know why the Note8 cannot handle a CF/SD Card Reader?
is it a driver or power problem?

I'd love to buy one, but one of the main uses would be to backup photos from CF & SD Cards to the 32g internal, whilst we are travelling.

Sad part is I can't get a straight answer from the tech people - maybe someone who has one can test it and tell me....txs:-\:confused:

the usb on the go cable is what you want....super cheap and allows note 8 to read all usb items.....i use mine all of the time... i keep a bazillion ebooks on a flash drive and swap them back and forth from flash drive to note 8...

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The usb otg js what im looking for, could you tell me which one you bought so I can be sure its compatable? Thnx

this is the one i purchased, however coming from hong kong it took what seemed like forever to get here.
Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter compatible with Samsung? Galaxy S III / S3: Cell Phones & Accessories

if you have amazon prime (i do and it wasn't available at the time) i would go with this one and pay a bit more for 2day shipping :)
Amazon.com: JKase Micro USB OTG Host Cable to USB 2.0 Adapter for Samsung Smart phones: Cell Phones & Accessories or
Amazon.com: T & S Electronics Micro USB OTG Cable - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (Micro USB OTG to USB Adapter. Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC ONE, Nexus 7 & Nexus 10, Galaxy Tab 3 and all OTG compatible devices.: Computers & Accessories

and101an

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I though the Note 8 took a newer adapter? Those don't list is by the way.
I ordered the Samsung brand adapter from Staples.com a few days ago, and it says it is 11 pin. It was $16.49 plus tax with free shipping. Guess it is not worth the trouble to return it, and go with these cheaper adapters, but are you sure they work? Mine says Samsung printers newer than 2009, and USB Flash drives only, and to connect to the phone last, after connecting the device.

So have you attached flash card readers, and hard drives to a Galaxy NOTE 8 (NOTE 8 not just tab), using one of these cheap adapters? Thanks for any update!

Tictyler

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Partly be agreed with the above posters. The Samsung Note 8 supports the " on the go" . Why wouldn't we take advantage of this performance ? I will recommend this one to use based on my experience . But you should paid attention on the card type you are gonna to use. In most cases, it makes my job convenient and smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar