Why is this in the phone section?

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a had time finding this forum because it is misplaced in the phones section instead of samsung tablets

International versions of this device can be used as a phone. Plus the stock interface including the way the notification bar is implemented is decidedly Samsung phone like vice tablet like (i.e., the Note 8 interface design borrows more from the S4 and Note 2 than the Note 10.1). In adfition, the Note 8 uses micro usb charging vice Samsung's standard tablet 30-pin connector. I am personally not a fan of the phone like notification bar paradigm for what I consider to be a tablet vice a phone.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had a had time finding this forum because it is misplaced in the phones section instead of samsung tablets

Because as far as the rest of the world is concerned (and how it's built) it is a phone. I know some parts of Europe they buy a smaller tablet and pair with Bluetooth headsets.

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard anyone refer to the Note 8 as a phone. It's a tablet. A tablet that can make phone calls (some models) just like almost all other Samsung tablets past and present, including the ten inch tablets. The reason the Note 8 forum is in the phone section is because someone made a mistake and they never corrected it.

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
International versions of this device can be used as a phone. Plus the stock interface including the way the notification bar is implemented is decidedly Samsung phone like vice tablet like (i.e., the Note 8 interface design borrows more from the S4 and Note 2 than the Note 10.1). In adfition, the Note 8 uses micro usb charging vice Samsung's standard tablet 30-pin connector. I am personally not a fan of the phone like notification bar paradigm for what I consider to be a tablet vice a phone.

So why isn't the Tab 3 forum in the phone section?

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard anyone refer to the Note 8 as a phone. It's a tablet. A tablet that can make phone calls (some models) just like almost all other Samsung tablets past and present, including the ten inch tablets. The reason the Note 8 forum is in the phone section is because someone made a mistake and they never corrected it.

agreed, all other forums like phandroid and XDA have it categorized under the tablet section

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because it is a phone. Rocking the 5100 and it's a great all in one device. The Mega is 6.3"s and it's being released as a phone as well.

I haven't seen the specs on the Tab 3 8.0 LTE so I can't say that it's a phone yet.

Posted via Android Central App

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Because it is a phone. Rocking the 5100 and it's a great all in one device. The Mega is 6.3"s and it's being released as a phone as well.

I haven't seen the specs on the Tab 3 8.0 LTE so I can't say that it's a phone yet.

I can maybe consider the mega as a phone, but certainly not the note 8

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The fact that you can make a phone call makes it a phone. Not the shape or size.

Posted via the Amazing Android Central App (Patent Pending)

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It's kind of one of those gray areas. Where do people draw the line on size? Is it exactly 6.5"s or 7"s or for some as low as 5"s.

The Grey area is what are you going to use it for primarily. I doubt anyone is using this purely as a phone.

samsung website also lists it under tablets.

Just because you can happen to make phone calls with it doesn't necessarily categorize it as a phone

My desktop can make phone calls, doesn't mean it's a phone

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I have the AT&T LTE version would never have thought of it as a phone. Was not aware that (w/out skype) it could make calls.

Sent from my humble S4

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Grey area is what are you going to use it for primarily. I doubt anyone is using this purely as a phone.

samsung website also lists it under tablets.

Just because you can happen to make phone calls with it doesn't necessarily categorize it as a phone

My desktop can make phone calls, doesn't mean it's a phone

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

It depends on what regional Samsung site you are on how it is listed. Even though AT&Ts network registers their version of the Note 8 as a tablet it still recognizes the 5100 as a phone and requires a voice plan to activate it.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I have the AT&T LTE version would never have thought of it as a phone. Was not aware that (w/out skype) it could make calls.

Sent from my humble S4

That version unfortunately doesn't have cellular phone capabilities. The International 5100 and 5120 do though.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

That version unfortunately doesn't have cellular phone capabilities. The International 5100 and 5120 do though.

I understand that, but every other forum and Samsung.com itself categorgizes it as a tablet...someone made a mistake here, plain and simple

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I understand that, but every other forum and Samsung.com itself categorgizes it as a tablet...someone made a mistake here, plain and simple

On the .ca website it is listed with the Note family of devices. The only thing listed under tablets is the Tab series. It depends on region. The note 8 in Canada is the same version as the States one.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
On the .ca website it is listed with the Note family of devices. The only thing listed under tablets is the Tab series. It depends on region. The note 8 in Canada is the same version as the States one.

there's also a note 10.1...would you also consider that a phone?

the "Note" name only denotes a stylus...nothing more, nothing less

the note 1 and 2 are definetly phone since that is their primary function. It's probably the highest note I would call a "phone" rest are just tablets that have additional features such as being able to make phone calls.....

I guess I draw the line at when and when you're not able to hold the thing up to your ear and use it as a regular phone

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
there's also a note 10.1...would you also consider that a phone?

the "Note" name only denotes a stylus...nothing more, nothing less

the note 1 and 2 are definetly phone since that is their primary function. It's probably the highest note I would call a "phone" rest are just tablets that have additional features such as being able to make phone calls.....

I guess I draw the line at when and when you're not able to hold the thing up to your ear and use it as a regular phone

I get where you're coming from. Just so you know the note 8 international version does have an ear speaker above the Samsung logo. You can hold it and use it like a phone. I haven't but it can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool