Major Digitiser Issues since upgrade to 4.2.2

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Note 8.0 now unusable - the digitiser is totally crap. Randomly draws lower and to right of where the S-Pen is pointing. I bought the Note 8.0 because I was impressed with the S Note feature of my Note 2. But since the upgrade last night it has reduced the Note 8 to a worthless piece of junk.

I've dusted off my A5 notebook and pen this morning so I can do my job. Totally pissed off.:mad:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I can understand your frustration, especially since I have a Note 8.0 LTE myself. Is your device rooted? I'd probably try to do a factory reset if the issue is persisting past shutdown and reboot.

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
No not rooted. To be honest I've been totally impressed (until now) with the Adroid OS ... not needed to root it. Been through the whole cycle of Psion Organiser, Palm (lots), Windows Mobile (oops), Blackberry and always used custom ROMS .. but the droids do what I want with the apps available.

Done the usual cycle of shut down and re-boot. Also tried the S Pen from my Note 2. Both give the same 1.5mm shift right and down, which makes writing very frustrating.

At this stage I'm reluctant to do a factory reset as I've spent a long time setting up the device to sync data between it and my Note 2 / PC / etc.

I'm hoping this is not just me and Samsung spot this issue very quickly and fix it. After all, its the S Pen feature that sets the "Note" apart from the "Tab" and other manufacturer's tablets.

... Samsung .... are you listening !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
OK I've found a solution .....

First I tried fine tuning the S-Pen by playing about with the potentiometer ... didn't do any good - as I expected, as this isn't a sensitivity issue, its a calibration problem ... but I was desperate !

But the simple answer is : TURN THE 8.0 UPSIDE DOWN !

I know this sounds crazy, but the registration of the pen nib is now spot on ... for me, but read on .....

My conclusion is it's a right hand / left hand issue. 4.2.1 must have been "handed neutral"; 4.2.2 is biased for right handed people. I'm left handed, hence the small right handed registration bias (of maybe a few pixels) is amplified. So turning the Note upside down fixes the issue.

My Note 2 has a Right Hand / Left Hand option - the 8.0 does not ... why not?

A plus point of turning the Note upside down is I no longer hit the Menu/Back soft keys when I'm writing .... another thing that would be good to fix in the future.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow! That's interesting to note :) I didn't realize they used a right-hand vs. left-hand bias. So, if you use the tablet upside down it's fixed or did flipping the tablet once re-calibrate the S-Pen?

Note 8.0

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The bias is hard coded in the latest update I think. Maybe Samsung will add the left/right option to the 8.0 in a future release. For now I simply use my Note upside down ... not really a problem and this is the most accurate the S Pen has been since I got it.

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about it - the fact that you turned your Note upside down is pretty genius.

When I had the Note 2 I was always having issues touching the buttons and it messing with what I was doing.
I get my Note 8 tomorrow, I will definitely have to employ this regularly just to not touch the buttons =D

Manky Boy

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm left handed too & have had the same issue since the update . The problem I have though is that turning it over just swaps the ofset from the right of the stylus the left. It means I have to make a conscience effort when I am drawing otherwise its quite easy to mess things up slightly, only so much that others probably couldn't notice but I know & it is frustrating.

Don't think there will be an update any time soon though :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34