Note 8 Missing from Black Friday Ads

lefty6string

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone.

New to this forum and am seriously considering the Note 8. After filling my belly with turkey today I sat down with the local paper to check out the Black Friday ads. Not only can I not find the Note 8 on sale but I don't even see it at regular price.

How popular is this tab? Is it worth getting? I have been an iPad user for a while now but like what the Note 8 offers that the iPad does not. What give???

Thanks.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The Note 8.0 is a nice tab. However, the screen is a bit unremarkable by today's standards and unless you really want/need the S-Pen you may be better served by alternatives.

gp8.3

lefty6string

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
The S Pen is one of the things I liked. The iPad will only take a large stylus. The Note 8 looks to be a very nice tab for jotting down notes in meetings and filing them for reference. Is the 10.1 the same tab just larger?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Noticed, yesterday, Costco had the Note 8, Tab 3 10.1, and two or three other Samsung tablets on sale--including a 7" tablet for $150.

If I read more ebooks, I would've strongly considered the 7" tablet. That's the ideal size for an e-reader. Tho I'd have to be able to put CWM & CM on it. Not too anxious to subject myself to Samsung's crappy software again.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone.

New to this forum and am seriously considering the Note 8. After filling my belly with turkey today I sat down with the local paper to check out the Black Friday ads. Not only can I not find the Note 8 on sale but I don't even see it at regular price.

How popular is this tab? Is it worth getting? I have been an iPad user for a while now but like what the Note 8 offers that the iPad does not. What give???

Thanks.

Best But has it on their site for 349.99, that's $10 less than I got it for back in September. I am very happy with mine, I have seen comments about the screen resolution but I have no issues with it, I guess it depends on what you intend to use it for. The Spen is a great addition over the other tablets of this size. The new 10.1 has impressive specs, but it is $200 more. Personally I like the size of this better than my previous 10 inch tablet, more portable and still very readable. I don't think you will regret the purchase.

Jeff Bellin

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The Note 8.0 is a nice tab. However, the screen is a bit unremarkable by today's standards and unless you really want/need the S-Pen you may be better served by alternatives.

gp8.3

As the OP definitely wants the pen, I think the Note 8 remains the only game in town, and a great one at that. I have always been a screen resolution fanatic, but at 8" and with the excellent colors, brightness and contrast of it's screen, I find the Note 8's 1200 x 800 surprisingly well suited. I own a 2013 Nexus 7 and I do not find the higher resolution at this size to be of much benefit - plus it has highly inaccurate colors and poor saturation.

The '14 Note 10.1 is a much stronger tablet with even more capabilities for the S-Pen and a beautiful hi-rez display.

gp8.3

I've read this as well, but I own the Note 8 specifically for its size, so no 10" tablet would suit me better, no matter how good the screen. It does have a few extra S pen tricks, but nothing game-changing, and Samsung is likely to make them available to this generation of Note products.

Best But has it on their site for 349.99, that's $10 less than I got it for back in September. I am very happy with mine, I have seen comments about the screen resolution but I have no issues with it, I guess it depends on what you intend to use it for. The Spen is a great addition over the other tablets of this size. The new 10.1 has impressive specs, but it is $200 more. Personally I like the size of this better than my previous 10 inch tablet, more portable and still very readable. I don't think you will regret the purchase.

What he said ^ :D

Really, the Note 8 is in a class by itself and dpis greater than 200 (this is 189) are of very limited value for any conceivable use of this tablet. It's not the tablet you buy primarily for watching videos, but the screen handles them very nicely when you want to. The S Pen - a Wacom app - is as good as it gets at this size/price level whether for note taking, input by hand converted to digitial (Samsung does this almost as well as Windows) or even art within its size limits. The only products that would make me trade up would be a Win 8.1 at this size with an excellent active digitizer. The Dell Venue 8 Pro comes pretty close, but the pen is a fail as of now. I'm sure I will go for Samsung's replacement of this model, likely due out in Feb/Mar. I also think that Dell/Synaptics will improve the working of its active pen and that Samsung is likely to put out a W8.1 tablet with S pen and others may follow suit - with Wacom (S Pen, Surface Pro, Lenovo (device?) or N-trig (Sony Duo, others). The keys here are: 8" form factor, well under 1 lb weight, active digitizer with well functioning pen and price points between $250 and $500. Oh yeah, and screens will no doubt all be at least FHD - hopefully not more.

Bottom line: if you don't need to use One Note in full (vs. Android partial version) the Note 8 is the one to beat now, price or resolution be damned. The space, I predict, will get hot as this is a wonderful companion form factor - 7" is too small and 10" is too big. Finally, there are deals to be found on the Note 8 and they will get better as the replacement is nearing. I was really lucky and got mine as an "open box" for $235.

Sorry for going on so long. I love this product and I think it is widely misperceived and direct comparisons to the Nexus 7 or Mini 2 are inappropriate and show lack of knowledge of what makes this product so special.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As the OP definitely wants the pen, I think the Note 8 remains the only game in town, and a great one at that. I have always been a screen resolution fanatic, but at 8" and with the excellent colors, brightness and contrast of it's screen, I find the Note 8's 1200 x 800 surprisingly well suited. I own a 2013 Nexus 7 and I do not find the higher resolution at this size to be of much benefit - plus it has highly inaccurate colors and poor saturation.

I've read this as well, but I own the Note 8 specifically for its size, so no 10" tablet would suit me better, no matter how good the screen. It does have a few extra S pen tricks, but nothing game-changing, and Samsung is likely to make them available to this generation of Note products.

What he said ^ :D

Really, the Note 8 is in a class by itself and dpis greater than 200 (this is 189) are of very limited value for any conceivable use of this tablet. It's not the tablet you buy primarily for watching videos, but the screen handles them very nicely when you want to. The S Pen - a Wacom app - is as good as it gets at this size/price level whether for note taking, input by hand converted to digitial (Samsung does this almost as well as Windows) or even art within its size limits. The only products that would make me trade up would be a Win 8.1 at this size with an excellent active digitizer. The Dell Venue 8 Pro comes pretty close, but the pen is a fail as of now. I'm sure I will go for Samsung's replacement of this model, likely due out in Feb/Mar. I also think that Dell/Synaptics will improve the working of its active pen and that Samsung is likely to put out a W8.1 tablet with S pen and others may follow suit - with Wacom (S Pen, Surface Pro, Lenovo (device?) or N-trig (Sony Duo, others). The keys here are: 8" form factor, well under 1 lb weight, active digitizer with well functioning pen and price points between $250 and $500. Oh yeah, and screens will no doubt all be at least FHD - hopefully not more.

Bottom line: if you don't need to use One Note in full (vs. Android partial version) the Note 8 is the one to beat now, price or resolution be damned. The space, I predict, will get hot as this is a wonderful companion form factor - 7" is too small and 10" is too big. Finally, there are deals to be found on the Note 8 and they will get better as the replacement is nearing. I was really lucky and got mine as an "open box" for $235.

Sorry for going on so long. I love this product and I think it is widely misperceived and direct comparisons to the Nexus 7 or Mini 2 are inappropriate and show lack of knowledge of what makes this product so special.

Well stated.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante