False memory Report 100GB note

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Here is an odd one, started a few months ago, cleared the cache, rebooted many times and I still get this

Everything runs fine, using any of the three file utilities I have report everything properly. No real issues other than I get the goggle processes stopped working once in a while.

Everything is fine and storage does not seem to be corrupted.

PS: It's a 16 GB note, even that part seems wrong.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this short of a full factory reset (as it has been fine for months and seems to be handling storage fine, only reporting it wrong in settings.)

Note 8 Memory.jpg

Last edited:

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
More info, drilling down on the above screen shows the gallery at 98GB, but my three non stock file managers show it in the low megabytes where it should be. I dont want to delete pictures, I doubt this will help but does anyone know 3rd party software that will show me a list of all files largest to smallest in ascending or descending order?

If one picture is the problem I can delete that and replace it.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You can try formatting the memory (be sure to backup all the data) and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, try a factory reset and see what happens - definitely a weird issue.

gkseifert

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Es File Explorer 3 (on Samsung Apps) will allow views sorted on name, size, type and date, in either order. It will also do a lot, lot more. And it is free.

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Es File Explorer 3 (on Samsung Apps) will allow views sorted on name, size, type and date, in either order. It will also do a lot, lot more. And it is free.

Thanks a ton, I really don't want to factory reset since it's not hurting anything but if I need to delete one picture no big deal.

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Four months an no major issues other than the false report, I don't plan to do a factory reset unless things start actually get buggy. As far as I can tell on installs and so forth it is handling memory correctly.

Seigmond Dela Rosa

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Doing the same thing on mine, currently running N5100XxCMK 1 build. Anyone had a solution on this besides from factory reset. Hope that android would have a fix on this on next update

jenoola

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I found this the other day too, and found from another site that it might have something to do with the .thumbnails folder in the sdcard/DCIM folder. You might have to switch on hidden files in order to be able to see it. The system seems to be saving a copy thumbnail of all photos to make the default Gallery open faster or something. The problem is that the .thumbnail-123456789 files just recreate themselves if you delete them - and I had two of them at 7.5GB I solved the problem by deleting all the .jpg files, then saving two blank documents with -exactly- the same name as the massive thumbnail files and them deleting the 7.5gb files. so far everything's ok.

I would be interested to know if this works for you, and of course if there is a better fix for it because if you open Gallery again (mine is currently disabled but it is the default app for some things) all the thumbnails just get created again.