samsung "official" 64gb microsd card failure ONLY on note 8

wrichards123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought a samsung 64 gb microsd card from amazon, its the one with blue lettering. well way too many video problems with this card. movies copies to it no matter what resolution or format fail. some fail imediatly others fail after a few seconds. the card workd well if i take it out and plug it into a PC everything works fine.. so wierdness here with these cards. I used a 32gb scandisk card and had ZERO problems. I searched the forums and found this is a known problem. after contacting samsung, they said it was most likley the sd card but failed to provide a new one stating it works on PC so too bad so sad at this stage. just wondering if others here have had this problem and what you have tryed or such to fix it....

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The threads of samsung devices killing SD cards are countless, as are the threads here regarding those deaths. Fix? No fix except to try another card. It is a sad sad state of affairs. When I had a Note 8.0 it ate a 32GB Sandisk Ultra and left nothing but the bones. When I had an S4 it also ate a 32GB Sandisk Ultra. I fed my Note 3 a 64GB Sandisk Extreme which it didn't eat and that card performs well even now in my LG Optimus G Pro.

EDIT: Grammar correction

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
So when you are transferring files to the sd card via phone connected to pc is the phone usb in media mode or camera mode? It will make a difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

wrichards123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
to transfer files I remove the micro sd and put it into a PC..... the official "Blue" samsung works great NOT in the Notes, but works great in PCs and laptops...

I replaced the samsung Blue chip with a Sandisk "PIXTOR" series 64 gb.... I had a 32 gb chip of the same in it while I was waiting for the mail and it worked fine. the 64 PIXTOR I loaded up with all sorts of video and music files of all kinds and resolutions and the chip worked perfect.... so.. as far as Im concerned the PIXTOR chips are workinf great, I placed it into my note 3, note 10.1 2014, tab 3-7, and its perma home in my note 8.0

just a FYI followup :)

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
When the card is new are you inserting them and then going into settings to do a format? I would not suggest taking the card in and out of your device you are just asking for trouble.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with jdub, you probably should format the card as FAT32 (it may have come as exFAT).

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

wrichards123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
yea did that formated in the unit, all in all the "PIXTOR" chip im very happy with. was gonna order another one but all of a sudden the chip went up from $39 to $99...

as far as removing the chip, I unmount it only when im initialy loading it with 40gb or such, takes forever if I dont. all in all I wish the unit had 32gb instead of the 16. but over all think this is my best choice for a full time tablet... will most likely get a new one when they release a "2014" style edition. I LOVE the 10.1 2014 OS version and perks it has over the 8.0

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
yea did that formated in the unit, all in all the "PIXTOR" chip im very happy with. was gonna order another one but all of a sudden the chip went up from $39 to $99...

as far as removing the chip, I unmount it only when im initialy loading it with 40gb or such, takes forever if I dont. all in all I wish the unit had 32gb instead of the 16. but over all think this is my best choice for a full time tablet... will most likely get a new one when they release a "2014" style edition. I LOVE the 10.1 2014 OS version and perks it has over the 8.0

I have a sandisk 64gb ultra high speed 1. I can transfer a 2 gig movie to the card while it is inserted in the note 8 in about 30 seconds.

What is the exact model of the pixtor you are using? Write speeds are very important. If the card is slow writer then that would explain your issues.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

wrichards123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I can get those speeds if I hook 8.0 to pc via usb. however for me, I use NAS mostly so all wireless transfers. I wish they ALL had the 3.0 like my note3.

heres a link to the "Pixtor" that at least works perfect for me... SanDisk Pixtor 64GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card SDSDQU-064G-AB46A - Best Buy

and this is the chip that I replaced that DOES NOT WORK for me... Samsung Pro 64GB microSDHC Memory Card MB-MGCGBAAM - Best Buy

all in all the Pixtor chip I bought for ~$39 us now its $99 I also got 2 of the Pixtor 32GBs that work perfect also in all my notes. these are pretty cheap now around $20

anyway hope that helps..