Note 8.0 Overheating and battery drain after KitKat update.

Calamity Crow

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, everybody seems to be having this problem with the Note 8. Its been reported on numerous websites..

I took my Note up to Best Buy and even had them flash the O/S and put the lastest factory O/S on it, but it still overheats randomly and the battery life is non-existent. So there's no fix, and the Samsungs guys at Best Buy were insistent there is no problem. All of us who bought a Note 8.0 just learned a valuable lesson - don't ever buy a Samsung tablet!

-CC

ps when I say overheats randomly, I mean it will even oveheat when writing a note with the wifi off and no SD card in the tablet. Good to know that KitKat can't even handle a text editor program - what a piece of sh%%!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the system cache partition? I think the steps for the Note 3 should work for the Note 8.0: Reset: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | T-Mobile Support. This is always a good thing to do after a major system update, since it "clears the cobwebs" from the temporary data cache, so to speak.

Mr Zwicky

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Note 8 a couple weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Then I installed the Kit Kat update and since then the device is nearly useless thanks to this overheating bug.

I have tried just about everything short of rooting it and flashing Jelly Bean back on to no avail.

It isn't normal that the OS tells me my device is overheating when I'm running only basic background apps plus maybe Evernote or checking email.

I've been particularly concerned that despite noticing that a lot of other people have been having the same problem, nobody appears to have found a solution or reasonable work around.

Samsung has clearly messed up by releasing this update without bothering to test it. I certainly hope they patch this soon or that someone figures out a fix.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mehrdad Rashtchi

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I did not have either of the problems after upgrading...however after installing Dolphin Browser I experienced overheating once...after un-installing it nothing has happened so far...
but I believe this upgrade sucks :(

singersorel

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem on my Note 8. But I have found a simple solution. I realized it was only having the overheating shutdown issue when I used the tablet on battery power. It is clearly not even overheating, since it would happen after just a minute of use, it just thinks it is overheating. Whenever I used the tablet with an external power source, I never have the problem. The simple solution was to get an external lipstick charger. I found a great one on Amazon for around $10, and whenever I need to use the tablet without having issues, like at work, I just plug in the lipstick charger and I'm good to go, no overheating ever. I figure this is a simple fix until the next android update, when hopefully this problem will be corrected with a bug fix.

Filippo Gariboli1

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
i think its just to do with the nature of the device itself. If your going to use it heavily its going to overheat, bear this in mind its 1.6ghz quad core thats 1.6ghz x4 and a 2gb ram.Using all this in 1 go will corse the device to overheats especially when it has no internal cooling fan not even an air vent for the device to breath. What i do during summer when the device gets dangoursly hot is put it inside a freezer bag and place it straight into the freezer and wait for about 7 to 10minutes. This is the only way your going to cool your device down. Think of it as a microwave in a opposites sence.

Garvey Harris

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
All I can say is WTF were Samsung thinking, who runs their quality control department? All I can think of is that there is some little **** in that office who doesn't give a fcuk about service or quality, just numbers and money. They are a sign of the times of what happens when people who are raised with no principles get into business. They will just screw you over for cash.

I hope that there are still some old school boys who still work are Samsung who take pride in what they do? As this ****ty product and service will not do. All I know is I have bought 5 Samsung devices in past 4 years and now will never ever touch another Samsung product again.

Long may they live with what they have made out of me so far, me and samsung just broke up. Thanks for reading my rant, my note 8, when I first got it in January, was great till the update. It has been like living with a sexual transmitted disease every since and there is no cure

Michaelsreign

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
BDiDDY... (post # 3 + forum mod) Thankyou!!! I can tell you that as of 12 hours ago, since your reset, i havent overheated once, and my Note 8 has been running considerably better. BATTERY life still sucks tho! Thanks again man

Azi11

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Those who have issue of battery or heating with Kitkat update. Please do "wipe cache partition".it will remove your background junk. How you will do? >turnoff tablet
> press Menu button+Volume up+ power button.
>when see Note 8 logo,only release power button.
>then select wipe cache partition

rickral

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I now have a battery life. Down to 73% with heavy use. I would have hit the charger by now. Take off the back and disco the battery for a couple of hours. Recharge and enjoy. I have tried all the rest but this worked.
factory reset, calibration and cache. Disconnect.

cfisher8192

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I now have a battery life. Down to 73% with heavy use. I would have hit the charger by now. Take off the back and disco the battery for a couple of hours. Recharge and enjoy. I have tried all the rest but this worked.
factory reset, calibration and cache. Disconnect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos