Maybe i'm crazy but are the new otterbox commuter cases like less rugged? I had otterbox commuter on my note 2 and that case felt and held up like a tank. Seriously, it's still in great condition. I bought otterbox commuter for my note 8. I briefly had it on the note 8. (currently waitting for replacement note 8 as orig. One had something wrong with the touch screen.) the commuter i bought for it doesn't seem like it could handle the abuse the one for my note 2 did. I know part of it has to do with the curved display on the note 8, so they can't have the lip going all the way around the device. Another thing is no ridges on the back. Those were perfect for grip. Suggestions for commuter style dual layer cases that feel a little more rugged? I got black note 8 so i want pink or green for case color, so case should be available in one or both colors.
    09-10-2017 08:40 PM
    Maybe i'm crazy but are the new otterbox commuter cases like less rugged? I had otterbox commuter on my note 2 and that case felt and held up like a tank. Seriously, it's still in great condition. I bought otterbox commuter for my note 8. I briefly had it on the note 8. (currently waitting for replacement note 8 as orig. One had something wrong with the touch screen.) the commuter i bought for it doesn't seem like it could handle the abuse the one for my note 2 did. I know part of it has to do with the curved display on the note 8, so they can't have the lip going all the way around the device. Another thing is no ridges on the back. Those were perfect for grip. Suggestions for commuter style dual layer cases that feel a little more rugged? I got black note 8 so i want pink or green for case color, so case should be available in one or both colors.
    Defender. That's a great case. I have one on my S8+ (son using). Don't have one yet for Note 8 but considering.
    09-11-2017 05:07 AM
    Supcase unicorn beetle. They have a couple of versions. I have used them on 3 phones now. Great protection without the bulk. The pro version even comes with a screen protector and a belt clip. For the note 8 they aren't released until the 15th but I have one ordered already. I use these instead of OtterBox defenders now.

Steve
    09-11-2017 09:32 AM
    I just got a Samsung rugged case. It's nice
    09-11-2017 06:29 PM
    the otterbox cases have shrank the last few years, but promise the same protection. my grip w the commuter is that it is so slippery, i like cases w grip, the defender has grip but is even larger.

I've settled on the speck presido grip cases because while thinner, they give awesome grip so i don't have near the chance to drop the phone.
    09-11-2017 11:22 PM
    I just got a Samsung rugged case. It's nice
    Agreed!
    09-13-2017 05:58 PM
    I have the defender and love it. Also felt the commuter was too slippery
    09-13-2017 06:15 PM
    Supcase unicorn beetle. They have a couple of versions. I have used them on 3 phones now. Great protection without the bulk. The pro version even comes with a screen protector and a belt clip. For the note 8 they aren't released until the 15th but I have one ordered already. I use these instead of OtterBox defenders now.

Steve
    Just ordered one of these on Amazon. It's the one with the inbuilt screen protector and since my job involves being outdoors in all weather I need a case that fully protects the phone. Have to wait til the 20th until it's released tho!
    09-14-2017 07:17 AM
    get the Defender. Another nice alternative is the Caseology Legion. Similar in protection to the Commuter but more durable IMO and it cost a lot less as well. I bought it as my backup case until I found the Defender.
    09-16-2017 12:15 AM
    I went with the symmetry... the defender is too much bulk and the commuter provides minimal protection.
    amyf27 likes this.
    09-16-2017 01:56 PM
    I always use a Commuter. I have one on my note8. I find it comfortable to hold. I dropped my note twice not a scratch or anything. Protected my phone just fine.
    09-18-2017 12:26 AM