Seidio Cases for Note 8 Available Now.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered my Surface case for the Note 8, They have a promotion running if you enter the code on the front page when ordering you get a free screen protector (me being in a hurry, I forgot to enter the code - oh well) ;)
I have this case on my S8+ and love it, it does not add much bulk but it is a slim dual layer - inner TPU with outer Poly-carbonate and what I consider one of the best kickstands available. (my personal opinion)

Cheers,
BR

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered my Surface case for the Note 8, They have a promotion running if you enter the code on the front page when ordering you get a free screen protector (me being in a hurry, I forgot to enter the code - oh well) ;)

I have this case on my S8+ and love it, it does not add much bulk but it is a slim dual layer - inner TPU with outer Poly-carbonate and what I consider one of the best kickstands available. (my personal opinion)

Cheers,
BR

How easy is it to get on and off? Thanks.

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
It's a two piece and the bottom slides away from the top. It can be a little sticky at times, but it's better than trying to pry it off the phone.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
It's fairly easy to get the case inner/outer separated or off the phone (there is a trick to it)
-because the TPU inner case will not allow the poly-carb outer case to slide easily, you have to separate the two sections of the outer case without applying pressure that will cause it to bind on the inner TPU. I usually get the retaining tab free then (center back of the case) gently pull the two sections apart from the Center top & bottom. this will not cause the outer case to bind on the inner case. (Hopefully this actually makes sense)

Cheers,
BR

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
It's fairly easy to get the case inner/outer separated or off the phone (there is a trick to it)
-because the TPU inner case will not allow the poly-carb outer case to slide easily, you have to separate the two sections of the outer case without applying pressure that will cause it to bind on the inner TPU. I usually get the retaining tab free then (center back of the case) gently pull the two sections apart from the Center top & bottom. this will not cause the outer case to bind on the inner case. (Hopefully this actually makes sense)

Cheers,
BR

Thanks! I have hand problems and really need something that I don't have to fight with, when I want to change cases, cause I have a wallet one I like to use for evenings out.On the fence about this one, though I really like both the look and the protectiveness of it.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Seidio Surface case on my last 4 or 5 phones. I'm glad it is finally available for the Note 8.

I'll be the dissenting voice. I had Seido cases on my S4 and Note 5. For both phones I went through at least two of the cradles because the top opening hinge would fail. On my last phone, the kickstand eventually broke.

The case was great from a protection standpoint, and it had a quality feel about it. But, I expect to get at least two years from a case that costs that much.

Slygrin

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll be the dissenting voice. I had Seido cases on my S4 and Note 5. For both phones I went through at least two of the cradles because the top opening hinge would fail. On my last phone, the kickstand eventually broke.

The case was great from a protection standpoint, and it had a quality feel about it. But, I expect to get at least two years from a case that costs that much.

The only issue I've had with the Surface cases have been with the belt clip on the holsters. I have caught the phone on my belt getting in my wife's car, and breaking the the clip where it mounts on the holster. I've never had an issue with the top clip. I'm a light user of the kickstand and have had not issues with it, I just wish it wold work with the phone vertically.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The magnet fell of one of my cases, so the kickstand wouldn't stay shut.

I've had five to six of those holsters fail. Sometimes the spring in the top hinge would just get weak. Other times the belt clip itself cracked off. That would take about a year to happen and by then I could replace it cheap on ebay.

The upside was the case was very protective. My phone looked like new when I mailed it off to vzw for the trade in deal.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have had the belt clip get broken off on a holster or two (various brands) the problem is when you get into the size of these devices they tend to catch on things easily. I just consider that as part of carrying a big screen device (the issue I have had is when getting in/out of the car the holster can snag and the phone ejects, that's never good) Again, I have had that with various brands (big phone = catches of things easily) I remember a Dell phone with a 5" screen (pre-Note era) I had an Otter box case that I called the ejection clip because it almost always ejected when getting in/out of the car. I believe these things are just part of living big screen...

Cheers,
BR

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I just received my Surface Case w/holster yesterday. they have made a tiny design change from the same case on my S8+ the top of the button cutouts are now open (like a "u" shaped cutout vs a hole type opening) I don't dislike it but it's different. It also looks like they may have added a bit of mass to the back side of the case (perhaps for added strength to compensate for the change in the button openings)

The one thing I have noticed is the phone binds when you try to remove it from the holster (I believe this may be a production error) I will be contacting them about it today. it's actually hard to detach from the holster. (Never had this problem with this line of cases before)

Cheers,
BR

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
**Update** I had opened a case with Seidio Customer Care. While waiting for them to move the case forward, I had been studying the issue, I trimmed about 1/8" of the soft material that is stuck to the inside of the holster to protect the phone against scratching while it's in the holster. This has resolved the issue. no more binding when I pull the phone out. (The part I trimmed is at the opposite end from the clip that holds the phone in place) that's where it was getting stuck/binding. I closed the case since I resolved the issue myself.

Cheers,
BR

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
**Update** I had opened a case with Seidio Customer Care. While waiting for them to move the case forward, I had been studying the issue, I trimmed about 1/8" of the soft material that is stuck to the inside of the holster to protect the phone against scratching while it's in the holster. This has resolved the issue. no more binding when I pull the phone out. (The part I trimmed is at the opposite end from the clip that holds the phone in place) that's where it was getting stuck/binding. I closed the case since I resolved the issue myself.

Cheers,
BR

I have this exact same problem. Figured it would 'relax' after some use. I may try your solution if it doesn't. My initial thought was that they were sending Note 7 holsters out so they wouldn't have to throw them all away.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have this exact same problem. Figured it would 'relax' after some use. I may try your solution if it doesn't. My initial thought was that they were sending Note 7 holsters out so they wouldn't have to throw them all away.

I wound up cutting out some additional material because the edge was pealing up and adhesive was getting on the end of the case. I removed about 5/16 to 3/8 of total material. now it's good.

The only real complaint i have is that you should not have to do this with a new out of the box case intended for the device I am using it in. That said I like it.

Cheers,
BR

Last edited:

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I wound up cutting out some additional material because the edge was pealing up and adhesive was getting on the end of the case. I removed about 5/15 to 3/8 of total material. now it's good.

The only real complaint i have is that you should not have to do this with a new out of the box case intended for the device I am using it in. That said I like it.

Cheers,
BR

I actually left a comment on their website about this. About 1 hour later they emailed me and asked me to call them as they knew about this issue. They basically said to do what you did! I agree this should never have happened, but I do appreciate the prompt customer service. I trimmed the end as well and it works just fine.

Slygrin

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why they made me call them. It would have been quicker and easier to just explain what the recommendation was via the email they sent. The gentleman I talked to did say they would be contacting the folks that purchased the case/holster when they had a permanent solution. I figure they will either replace the holster, or more likely give out a new shorter piece of felt to stick on it.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I am curious what permanent solution they will come up with and what they may do for all of us early adopters/beta testers :) Especially since we came up with the fix.. Regardless I still like the case.

Cheers,
BR

Slygrin

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of hoping they send us new ones, I like to have a spare. I usually break my holsters once a year or so, when the phone catches on something and snaps the clip off, usually getting out of my wife's car.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay