Samsung Dex station

oldbrowndoggy

May 13, 2019
Visit site
Hi, im trying to help my father who lives in a remote area setup his Note 8 to connect to a samsung montior so he can watch the football (AFL) on the bigger screen.
Ive been told the Dex station is necessary to connect the two together because the direct usb-c to hdmi will not work. (we tried)
However the dex station apparently makes the tab screen go dead so he'd need a keyboard and mouse too? It all seems too complicated, and then the app that he uses to watch the football might not work with the monitor anyway (so ive been told)
Does anyone know if this dex station is a good solution to watch TV from the note 8, or a better one please?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Check Amazon listings for simple USB C to HDMI adapters. I've used one in the past with a note 8 and you can either just mirror the phone (probably your best bet) or kick in DeX mode (which works best of you have keyboard and mouse as well, but some apps don't work on DeX) just check that the description or review says it's compatible with the note8

oldbrowndoggy

May 13, 2019
Visit site
My dad says he plugged in the note 8 to the monitor with a usb-c to hdmi adaptor cable and had no response on the screen already.. I was told by samsung that a dex station was necessary to get any image on the screen from the note 8 and that a cable would not work?
Is it possible to change a setting in the note 8 and get it to work without a dex station?
thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not all adapters will work, that is true (that's where the 'read the reviews and descriptions on Amazon' comes in), but the phone will, at the very least, support screen mirroring (the trickier part is to get it to go into DeX mode, but it seems your dad might not want that since there will be no keyboard, mouse attached).

Also, make sure that whatever adapter he's using, is being used correctly. Most will require a power source, some will even need a specific sequence for them to work (like plug HDMI to TV first, then power, then connect to phone kind of thing). Samsung sells on on their site (just a cable), but not sure if theirs works with the Note 8, you'd have to look that up. BUT I do know that some work, because I used them (don't link which one because it's no longer being sold, otherwise I'd tell you).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Never as easy... with cheaper, 3rd party accessories, unfortunately. Stick to the 1st party (i.e. expensive) ones, and you'll be fine (but then again, this phone is designed to push for the 1st party alternative because that's the one that makes Samsung money...).

Seriously, it's not that difficult as long as you find the right adapter. Read the reviews, pretty sure more than one reviewer can confirm if they've used it with a Note 8 or not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary