I was looking forward to getting a new N20 ultra this year, but will be waiting out another year again. While there are are many new bells and whistles to be had with the new phone, the deal breaker for me was the meh battery life on the N20 ultra. Furthermore, the camera on the N8, IMO, takes sharper macro photos than the N20 ultra, which requires you to move back or use the telephoto in a 2:1 zoom mode to take a sharply focused closeup shot.
    While 5G might eventually be useful, it's probably going to be another year before it's widely available. Until then I can easily live with my N8. It's still a great phone.

Do you have other good reasons to hold on to your N8?
    09-03-2020 08:52 AM
    I will keep my Note 8 until it breaks. LOL. I only regret not having access to Gmail Dark Mode. I feel like goggle and Samsung really stabbed us in the back on that.
    srvctec likes this.
    09-04-2020 12:45 AM
    Just upgraded from the 8 to the 20 Ultra and yes the differences are well worth the upgrade. I used the Note 8 for 3 years and it was great. Device was still in mint condition. It was just time for me to upgrade to something else.

Love the increased storage - 64 GB to 512 GB. The camera is light years ahead of the Note 8. So many differences...

Battery life is much better. After 3 years the Note 8 battery was getting long in the tooth.

Not sure what you mean about the camera but I couldn't come anywhere close to capturing a picture on the Note 8 like I can on the 20.
    09-04-2020 08:32 PM
    I'm seriously considering updating my N8 (got it release weekend) after 3 years partly because of my battery not lasting quite as long as it used to (to be expected after 3 years!) but mostly because of the camera on the N20U.

I agree about not having dark mode in the Gmail app. Makes no sense why they just don't add it to the app settings like dozens of other apps I have instead of requiring the latest Android OS (I stayed on 8.0.0).

Another thing holding me back is I like to be able to record calls and I can still do that on my N8 with 8.0 but won't be able to on a new N20U. I'd have to go back to carrying around my voice recorder and use the ear piece/mic to record any calls.

Plus, I'd have to upgrade all other things related to a new phone purchase like screen protectors, cases, a holster, etc. I can't really afford that right now since we've been on partial unemployment at work, going on 10 weeks with no end in sight.

My initial plan was to get in on a really good deal directly from Verizon on black Friday and do the upgrade that way. Still considering it seriously, though since I normally upgrade every 2 years. This is the longest I've had a phone before upgrade and the N8 is still a fantastic phone.
    09-25-2020 03:23 PM
    Now I'm kind of leaning towards not upgrading from my N8 to the N20U. That stupid, ridiculous looking camera bump bugs the hell out of me. Why in the heck the designers didn't consider how ridiculous it is in looks and most importantly, how it isn't very practical at all, just doesn't make sense to me.

I just hope my battery doesn't completely crap out before another year goes by since 3 years is pushing it for li-ion.
    09-30-2020 04:51 PM