Note 8 in 2017

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: CONFIRMED: Good news :) Samsung Will Release Galaxy Note 8 in 2017

As someone that has not seen one what is so good about these Note phones? I know they have the capacitive pen, but that just seems an added faff to use each time when a finger will do. TBH I am surprised the Galaxy S7 Edge is not the flagship phone it is fabulous.
Did you use the note 7..downgrade..

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

6.2" sounds good and a Note 8 with that would make a nice upgrade to this S7e.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm still happily running the Note 5, passed on the Note 7. Will take a look at the Note 8 after its released and after the reviews and forum comments.

Been around twenty three years with cell phones to have learned to read about the phones before committing myself to buying them. Too much hype!

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site

So the Note 8 and S8 Plus are both 6.2"? Any know or can speculate what the difference will be?

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

Note 8 | 6.2" inch *
Edge 8 | 5.7" inch *
S8 | 5.5" inch *
* without affecting the dimensions
:)

Wonder what the likelihood is that Sammy will release all three at the same time. They made a big deal of catching the note version number up to the galaxy. Maybe they'll do one better and catch it up with the release timing of the galaxy too :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Wonder what the likelihood is that Sammy will release all three at the same time. They made a big deal of catching the note version number up to the galaxy. Maybe they'll do one better and catch it up with the release timing of the galaxy too :)
I hope not. Rumor has it that the 7 was rushed, rushing the 8 by a full additional 6 months sounds disastrous.

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they won't come out together but new rumors are starting to point to a rebrading of the Note, calling it the S8 Professional (with s-pen). They're saying it's in development now, so maybe it's behind the S8 but if they push the S8 back to April release, maybe all 3 will be ready: S8 Edge, S8 Mini, S8 Pro :D

In the mean time I'll probably grab a Moto Z for $125 from BB.

Samsung Galaxy S8: New S-Pen Development Suggests Note Takeover! – NSEAVoice

Saw reports that Samsung has basically doubled their forecast for flexible smartphone displays over last year. Bye bye flat screened S8? Maybe the S8 will have a subtle edge like the Note7 and the edge model will be more pronounced or all variants will have subtle curves and only come in size variants.
Seeing as they made a concerted effort to align the Note and S series numbers, I would guess they would go with either N8 or S8 Pro or S8 Pen.
Samsung seems to like the letters, so what's another one?
My thoughts exactly. Tho they seems to say it's "in development" but if Samsung waits till April to release them all... we'll see. Highly doubt the S series will have the bendy screen, though.

Samsung Galaxy S8: New S-Pen Development Suggests Note Takeover! – NSEAVoice

Last edited by a moderator:

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Note 8

Being I don't see a Forum yet ...

1. Edge to edge screen.

2. Min 6GB internal, 8GB just to blow away every one else with a statement!!!

3. Release the laptop/carrier where the Note 8 is inserted into the keyboard as the brains/controller of the laptop. Samsung has the patent, do ittttttttttt :)

4. Of course, the blazing QC processor.

Time to pre order yet? :)

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: do you think it's possible the Note and S# Edge lines will converge?

Still no update on if people will get discounted 8s that went through the N7 debacle?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Still no update on if people will get discounted 8s that went through the N7 debacle?

Why do you expect a discount? Most everybody was offered a refund and $100 toward a new phone. I think that's plenty generous for the minor inconvenience.

Compare that to Ford. In July I was notified that my passenger airbag was dangerous and could kill the passenger. I was told that at some time in the future it would be recalled. I don't let passengers sit in the front seat. I recently called my Ford dealer to ask when it would be repaired. They told me mine is scheduled for June 2017. That's a year of not having passengers in the front seat. I asked if there'd be any compensation or loaner vehicle available and while he didn't laugh at me I know he wanted to. All he said was that there's no plan for compensation.

So, I don't understand why those with what is comparably a mild inconvenience with the Note 7 consider they're due a rebate. Is this a millennial thing I'm not understanding? Are we all due a trophy?

Just grow up, mature, and deal with it. Stop whining.

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I dont expect it, but I did read rumors of Samsung doing that somewhere

Why do you expect a discount? Most everybody was offered a refund and $100 toward a new phone. I think that's plenty generous for the minor inconvenience.

Compare that to Ford. In July I was notified that my passenger airbag was dangerous and could kill the passenger. I was told that at some time in the future it would be recalled. I don't let passengers sit in the front seat. I recently called my Ford dealer to ask when it would be repaired. They told me mine is scheduled for June 2017. That's a year of not having passengers in the front seat. I asked if there'd be any compensation or loaner vehicle available and while he didn't laugh at me I know he wanted to. All he said was that there's no plan for compensation.

So, I don't understand why those with what is comparably a mild inconvenience with the Note 7 consider they're due a rebate. Is this a millennial thing I'm not understanding? Are we all due a trophy?

Just grow up, mature, and deal with it. Stop whining.
Also no whining here. If they did that, great. If not, I'm still getting it anyway

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

I dont expect it, but I did read rumors of Samsung doing that somewhere

I think there will be a tremendous marketing effort when the Note 8 comes out. Possibly deep discounts to build the brand. But I don't think it will be specific to those that purchased the Note 7, it'll be worldwide for all buyers to build market share and prove that the Note line is still the best and most beloved line of phones.

I can't wait for the Note 8, I'm ready to throw this S7 Edge into the trash.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
A 5.5 inch flat screen model would be great if it has at least 64gb on board.
Preferably without the curves distorting the view.

I think there will be a tremendous marketing effort when the Note 8 comes out. Possibly deep discounts to build the brand. But I don't think it will be specific to those that purchased the Note 7, it'll be worldwide for all buyers to build market share and prove that the Note line is still the best and most beloved line of phones.

You're dreaming. It will be more expensive than Note 7

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
As someone that has not seen one what is so good about these Note phones? I know they have the capacitive pen, but that just seems an added faff to use each time when a finger will do. TBH I am surprised the Galaxy S7 Edge is not the flagship phone it is fabulous.

My wife has a S7 Edge. I have a Note 4. Neither of us has the slightest interest in trading phones. She sees most of the Note-specific features I rely on daily as "faff" (to use your term) or "bloat" (to use hers). My daily workflow would really suck without them, so the S7 Edge, while a remarkable and amazing phone, is of little interest to me. She's in the target market for the S series, I'm in the target market for the Note series. Her phone never comes out of her purse at work, mine rarely goes into my pocket.

The S-Pen isn't capacitative - it uses uses a far more precise EMR sensor on the phone - basically the same tech that Wacom tablets use. If you are trying to do handwriting, precise drawing, etc this is a night-and-day difference from using your finger or a traditional capacitative stylus. Going back to a regular stylus to draw out anything feels like going from a nice pen to a crayon. Not everyone draws out ideas on their phone, so this is really important to some (like me), and completely unimportant to others.

The sensor doesn't require that the pen actually touch the screen to know it is nearby, so you get a "preview dot" that shows precisely where your pen will "drop" on the screen when you touch the pen to the screen. This "hover-over" feature also supports scrolling and a bunch of other things that are little niceties but hard to give up once you start using them regularly.

The partial screen capture is something I use almost daily, and the fact that it automatically rips any writing and presents it to me as OCR text is extremely handy - obviously I could do any or all of these things without it but capturing handwritten notes off a whiteboard and sending them as text instantly from my phone is extremely efficient if that is your intent (which it is for me several times in the average day).

Samsung has two flagship phone lines. The S and the Note. They appeal to slightly different audiences.

It's possible, but at the end of the day they also have to make a profit - and I think the holdouts that refuse to give up their Note 7 even after the battery life has been crippled and faced with a looming complete kill switch flip says a great deal about the kind of brand loyalty that is pretty normal for the Note series.

I suspect whether they discount it or not, their biggest problem will remain making enough of them to meet demand, as it has been for some time.

They may, however, at least acknowledge brand loyalty and offer anyone with a Sammy phone some special deal, especially because there's a fair-to-middlin' chance that someone with an S7 Edge was (like you) forced into it by the failure of the Note 7.

I want to want the Note 8 or whatever they call it, but if nothing else the Note 7 debacle reinforced my already strongly-held bias toward the replaceable battery which has already caused me to skip the 5 and the 7. My Note 4 has plenty of legs left, as long as I swap out the battery every year or so... We'll see if that changes next year.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

My wife has a S7 Edge. I have a Note 4. Neither of us has the slightest interest in trading phones. She sees most of the Note-specific features I rely on daily as "faff" (to use your term) or "bloat" (to use hers). My daily workflow would really suck without them, so the S7 Edge, while a remarkable and amazing phone, is of little interest to me. She's in the target market for the S series, I'm in the target market for the Note series. Her phone never comes out of her purse at work, mine rarely goes into my pocket.

The S-Pen isn't capacitive - it uses uses a far more precise EMR sensor on the phone - basically the same tech that Wacom tablets use. If you are trying to do handwriting, precise drawing, etc this is a night-and-day difference from using your finger or a traditional capacitive stylus. Going back to a regular stylus to draw out anything feels like going from a nice pen to a crayon. Not everyone draws out ideas on their phone, so this is really important to some (like me), and completely unimportant to others.

The sensor doesn't require that the pen actually touch the screen to know it is nearby, so you get a "preview dot" that shows precisely where your pen will "drop" on the screen when you touch the pen to the screen. This "hover-over" feature also supports scrolling and a bunch of other things that are little niceties but hard to give up once you start using them regularly.

The partial screen capture is something I use almost daily, and the fact that it automatically rips any writing and presents it to me as OCR text is extremely handy - obviously I could do any or all of these things without it but capturing handwritten notes off a whiteboard and sending them as text instantly from my phone is extremely efficient if that is your intent (which it is for me several times in the average day).

Samsung has two flagship phone lines. The S and the Note. They appeal to slightly different audiences.

Talk about well put! Great job Nate!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude