The Note 8 will be $950??

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Anything above $700 for a mobile device is a no go for me! That's my hardline in the sand to any OEM, otherwise they lose! My wallet my choice! IMHO we as consumers need to take a stand, otherwise where does it stop? These prices are getting ridiculous. :(
Is this price based on 2017 materials cost or 2014?

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
$900 / 24 months is $37.50/month. thats roughly $1.25 per day. Thats nothing to spend on a phone thats in my hands all day long and i use as much as i do. thats one less bottle of water i drink everyday for crying out loud.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's just my personal opinion that no smartphone is worth more than that.

Ok, I just wasn't sure if it was because that's how much the Note 4 was or if it had to do with something else. My "limit", if I have one, is quite a bit higher but without how good some of the devices in the $300-500 range are getting, I could easily see someone saying that it's hard to justify more than $500 as an example.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
To me, I think that with companies like OnePlus and ZTE and others that show that you can get a flagship quality Android phone in the $400-$500 range with pretty much the same flagship components as the names like Samsung, LG, HTC, etc... at $750, $850 or $950+ you have to ask if those phones really have something or some components not found on the $500 phones that make it worth the extra $250-350-450 that you got to have.

Ok, I just wasn't sure if it was because that's how much the Note 4 was or if it had to do with something else. My "limit", if I have one, is quite a bit higher but without how good some of the devices in the $300-500 range are getting, I could easily see someone saying that it's hard to justify more than $500 as an example.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To me, I think that with companies like OnePlus and ZTE and others that show that you can get a flagship quality Android phone in the $400-$500 range with pretty much the same flagship components as the names like Samsung, LG, HTC, etc... at $750, $850 or $950+ you have to ask if those phones really have something or some components not found on the $500 phones that make it worth the extra $250-350-450 that you got to have.

I'm not totally ready to go that far because there is still a noticable gap IMO, but it's getting close.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
$900 / 24 months is $37.50/month. thats roughly $1.25 per day. Thats nothing to spend on a phone thats in my hands all day long and i use as much as i do. thats one less bottle of water i drink everyday for crying out loud.

That daily bottle of water may be a better value for your money than the extra few hundred dollars you spend on the phone.

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
for me personally, the phone is a much better investment as i use it for business more than i use it for play. (and i use it a lot for fun)

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care about the price. I'll do the annual upgrade plan, pay for half of it and upgrade when the next device comes out. As for comparing it to a laptop, I used to make that comparison as well, but honestly, I rarely ever use my laptop now. I pretty much use my phone for almost everything. I used to love upgrading computers, but now, I use it so little that I can't even justify upgrading.

So Samsung can charge what they want, I'll get their phones regardless. I almost feel locked into Samsung. Until another phone company gets MST, I probably will never use one as my primary device.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care about the price. I'll do the annual upgrade plan, pay for half of it and upgrade when the next device comes out. As for comparing it to a laptop, I used to make that comparison as well, but honestly, I rarely ever use my laptop now. I pretty much use my phone for almost everything. I used to love upgrading computers, but now, I use it so little that I can't even justify upgrading.

So Samsung can charge what they want, I'll get their phones regardless. I almost feel locked into Samsung. Until another phone company gets MST, I probably will never use one as my primary device.

This. When I had the Note 7 it was eligible for the annual upgrade. That sort of was lost when the recall fiasco started and most got boned on the annual update - I got lucky I guess and the rep I dealt with said I could upgrade in a year with the S7 Edge. I got the upgrade put into the notes on my account as well as having it in writing from the rep.

I don't know what it is but I absolutely hate this device. Anyway, I'll do the upgrade to the Note 8 but I hope Samsung has some sort of incentives for the Note 7 users - I remember reading about something in the works when the recall was going on but nothing since. But before I do commit I want to see the Iphone 8 - as I understand it, the 8 will be redesigned.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yup, Samsung confirmed there will be a Note 8:
Samsung confirms Galaxy Note 8 exists, but Galaxy S8 will skip MWC | Android Central

IMHO if they wish to charge $900+ for it at a minimum they need to make it 128GB storage and go back to a user-replaceable battery for longevity (no built-in obsolescence!).
I like to be able to pull battery when screen freezes and nothing else works too.

I prefer 128gb built in to sd card. It's faster and more secure. I would also like 6gb ram. Battery needs to be at least 3600 maH

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
We need a "Really, really Like" button for things like this!!! :)

My "Really, really Like" button - was only for the fact that we were definitely going to get a Note 8! Removable batteries will never happen again - manufacturers make too much money with sealed phones and they aren't going to change for us! If the non-replaceable battery dies, we generally end up buying a new phone, right? $$$ Kaching!

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
don't care how much it cost. That's how much i like the Samsung galaxy note phones. I think it would be hard for me to get the note8 if note7 didn't get recalled. If there was no recall I would have never gotten another phone til the note7 totally died. Both the original and replacement note7 I had were awesome. And I miss it. So hopefully the note8 will be a success.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon and the carriers along with Samsung and the other manufacturers got many of us hooked on new phones every two years... when replaceable batteries were available. Then their attractive marketing got many to chase a new phone every year. And you have folks jumping from one phone to the newest, greatest every three months.

If the manufacturers can keep the updates flowing along with strong battery life, I can't see why folks won't keep their phones two, three or four years! Let's face it... a thousand bucks at a pop with accessories, that's a lot of dough for a ... phone!

Then again, there are many who want the most stylish phone on the market... and they want it NOW! To coin a popular phrase... WHATEVER!

I just want a solid phone, fast, reliable, accurate that will last me minimum two to three years.

Is that asking too much? 😉

If it WERE 'just a phone' I would agree, but these days almost every phone does so much more. I confess, I am jonesin HARD for the N8.