08-16-2017 04:27 PM
118 ... 2345
tools
    Funny, I've linked Sammobile sites before and I double checked that it has right URL but AC redirects it... that's new. If you find the article on the site yourself you'll see pics of the Active at all angles and imo don't think the battery made it much thicker. If it is thicker it's more with the thicker case they put in for drop protection.

Also if the expectation is that a 3300 milliamp hour battery is going to last for 24 hours then the math would indicate that a 4000 milliamp hour battery would last 29 hours plus or minus another six or seven hours for the device being in deep doze. Assuming that scene user is getting about 6 hours of screen on time we be looking at an additional 5 hours of the device being in idle with up to an hour of additional screen time.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    07-24-2017 08:33 AM
    Funny, I've linked Sammobile sites before and I double checked that it has right URL but AC redirects it... that's new. If you find the article on the site yourself you'll see pics of the Active at all angles and imo don't think the battery made it much thicker. If it is thicker it's more with the thicker case they put in for drop protection.
    Ok yeah I was going off the person leaking stuff about it here on Saturday saying it was thicker, but more protection makes sense.
    07-24-2017 08:34 AM
    Physics is a beeuuuch. The Note 8 apparently has the same tech as the 8+ with 200 less mah. No magic bullets, so battery life will almost certainly be less than the 8+.
    notefreak likes this.
    08-01-2017 09:15 AM
    Physics is a beeuuuch. The Note 8 apparently has the same tech as the 8+ with 200 less mah. No magic bullets, so battery life will almost certainly be less than the 8+.
    Only benefit I can think of to the Note 8 on this front is that it's launching with more up to date software than the S8+ did and we may have some improvements in display efficiency, but that's unknown so far.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-01-2017 09:17 AM
    3300 that is all
    Aquila likes this.
    08-05-2017 07:28 PM
    Only benefit I can think of to the Note 8 on this front is that it's launching with more up to date software than the S8+ did and we may have some improvements in display efficiency, but that's unknown so far.
    Same apparent hardware and display tech, so this would appear wishful. The compromise was the space for the pen without a cramp area for the battery. Of course, if the edges were more flat, they then would have probably had more space for a pen.
    08-06-2017 11:58 AM
    Same apparent hardware and display tech, so this would appear wishful. The compromise was the space for the pen without a cramp area for the battery. Of course, if the edges were more flat, they then would have probably had more space for a pen.
    The Note 5 disagrees.
    08-06-2017 12:12 PM
    9,000m to 10,000 mAh is my expectation for the battery.

In a removable battery.
    It's been done with kits to modify the back panel. But with the Android pursuit of Apple those days are over.
    08-06-2017 12:33 PM
    Charger at work... TWO chargers at home... charger in car... and spare battery pack. ALL FAST CHARGERS. This is what's needed for any hard power user. And... the Samsung battery will degrade anyway under hard use. This is my experience with Note 5 and for any hard power user with most sealed batteries. Sammy will dumb down their Note 8 battery. Hard users beware.
    The Note series started its decline for the power user starting with the Note 5. The stylus is just a misleading rationale for a smaller battery. The phone could have been thicker and not made of glass. But then it wouldn't look as beautiful in a museum glass case.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-06-2017 12:45 PM
    Power users never existed as a market. And they likely never will.
    Not in the United States. But how about other areas of the world like Asia where your phone functions as a computer. And where they have hardware and software features we will never see because we're considered lacking in sophistication.
    08-06-2017 12:57 PM
    Not in the United States. But how about other areas of the world like Asia where your phone functions as a computer. And where they have hardware and software features we will never see because we're considered lacking in sophistication.
    Individuals exist, as a market force there's never been any such thing as power users. They could come about, but based on the PC market, it's unlikely.
    08-06-2017 02:33 PM
    I understand where you all are coming from. I understand wanting a larger battery. But, I have yet to own a phone, or try a phone that lasted me more than an 8 hour period of screen on time under constant use. either 3/4g or wifi. No matter how big the battery is. So while yes I am slightly disappointed about the battery size, I certainly don't buy a phone based on it, because they have all fallen short. I want this phone for the s pen. I have learned work arounds just like everyone else. Spare chargers, car chargers, and a portable battery pack that goes in my purse.

Samsung always has power saving features. Most of the time if I lower my screen resolution, I can't tell the difference anyway. Or you can turn off the always on displays, or have the auto brightness turned on.. sooo many different features to HELP save your battery life..
    jimd1050 and kevinpleasants like this.
    08-08-2017 08:48 PM
    For a $1000 I don't want to have to reduce the functionality. Even the new Samsung j7 has a larger battery. I'm still hoping the battery will be at least the same size as the S8 edge and remember it's a bigger screen plus a pen and an optical camera all which take juice.
    08-13-2017 02:38 AM
    The larger screen is negated by the 835 chip, just as it is with the 3000mah battery in the S8.
    08-13-2017 03:54 AM
    But the S8 plus has a smaller screen than the note 8 but a bigger battery
    08-13-2017 08:03 AM
    Also has one camera and no pen inside
    08-13-2017 09:55 AM
    Hence some irony. I really wanted an excuse to get the Note 8, but in reference to the 8+

Nominal display increase

6% smaller battery

Same width as 8+, but taller

Apparently even sharper edges

Same chipset

The two lens camera would be cool, but 8+ camera already rocks.
    08-13-2017 08:19 PM
    Hence some irony. I really wanted an excuse to get the Note 8, but in reference to the 8+

Nominal display increase

6% smaller battery

Same width as 8+, but taller

Apparently even sharper edges

Same chipset

The two lens camera would be cool, but 8+ camera already rocks.
    It's not a huge upgrade to the S8+. It's not meant to be. I'm sure most of the Note8 sales aren't coming from current S8+ owners.
    If I currently hand the S8+, it would be a verus though decision. If money was not a factor, I wouldn't hesitate. I am 0% concerned with the battery size.
    08-14-2017 07:03 AM
    Very disappointing. I understand they want to be conservative with what happened with the Note 7. Still 3300 MAh in this size phone borders on embarrassing.

I know it may end up with decent battery life. We don't know yet. But still. This is Samsung, they have the resources and technology to do better. There are about 9 phones here that have smaller screens (and yes, smaller overall dimensions), and still have larger batteries. If these other companies can do it, we all know Samsung can, and IMO should have. You can talk about optimizing performance and software all you want, but Samsung should have done better than this for this kind of giant phone.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-14-2017 10:55 AM
    Very disappointing. I understand they want to be conservative with what happened with the Note 7. Still 3300 MAh in this size phone borders on embarrassing.

I know it may end up with decent battery life. We don't know yet. But still. This is Samsung, they have the resources and technology to do better. There are about 9 phones here that have smaller screens (and yes, smaller overall dimensions), and still have larger batteries. If these other companies can do it, we all know Samsung can, and IMO should have. You can talk about optimizing performance and software all you want, but Samsung should have done better than this for this kind of giant phone.
    Totally agree specially in view that the mid range Samsung phones like the j7 have bigger batteries... Iphone will kill this phone re battery life if true yes I know about the pen.. But samsung are shooting themselves in the foot if the battery is not as good at least as the S8 plus.. But heck I will probably still buy it I miss the pen
    dsignori likes this.
    08-14-2017 11:12 AM
    I believe they're being overly cautious with the battery, and although a bigger one would be nice, I can't say I blame them. If there's a battery issue with the N8, I don't think they'd be able to come back from that; specifically speaking of the Notes. I think they'd rather catch flack and lose a few sales due to a smaller battery rather than an exploding one.
    Jewels81 and jimd1050 like this.
    08-14-2017 11:38 AM
    I believe they're being overly cautious with the battery, and although a bigger one would be nice, I can't say I blame them. If there's a battery issue with the N8, I don't think they'd be able to come back from that; specifically speaking of the Notes. I think they'd rather catch flack and lose a few sales due to a smaller battery rather than an exploding one.
    This!
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-14-2017 01:57 PM
    If the curved display went bye bye, probably enough footprint for more battery. Then it would be wider though. Samsung wants one hand fit. Of all the things I like about the 8+, the curved corners and edges are the huge dislikes. The Note 8 reduces the corner curves, but apparently even sharper edges. One step forward, one back.
    08-14-2017 05:57 PM
    The S8 Active has a 4000 mah battery... so it's not because they are being overly cautious... it comes down to not willing to make the phone thicker.

Thin will always be a priority for their sleek flagship. if you look at the dimensions compared to an iPhone 8 (7.5mm), S8 (8.0mm) and Note 8 (8.5mm and that's with a smaller battery), the Note will be a fatty compared to the others.

jimd1050 likes this.
    08-14-2017 09:50 PM
    The S8 Active has a 4000 mah battery... so it's not because they are being overly cautious... it comes down to not willing to make the phone thicker.
    Exactly.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-14-2017 10:13 PM
118 ... 2345