08-16-2017 04:27 PM
118 ... 345
tools
    The S8 Active has a 4000 mah battery... so it's not because they are being overly cautious... it comes down to not willing to make the phone thicker.

Thin will always be a priority for their sleek flagship. if you look at the dimensions compared to an iPhone 8 (7.5mm), S8 (8.0mm) and Note 8 (8.5mm and that's with a smaller battery), the Note will be a fatty compared to the others.
    The S8 active also doesn't have an S-pen or a curved screen.

Also, if they weren't being cautious, why did they decrease the the battery size in the Note 7 FE?
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    08-14-2017 10:57 PM

Also, if they weren't being cautious, why did they decrease the the battery size in the Note 7 FE?
    In the Note 7 FE, they WERE being cautious - for an OBVIOUS REASON!!!
    08-14-2017 11:08 PM
    In the Note 7 FE, they WERE being cautious - for an OBVIOUS REASON!!!
    And that's my point lol

People think they are not going to be cautious with the follow up to that disaster? Please...
    08-14-2017 11:23 PM
    The Note 7 FE... the phone is made from already produced Note 7s from last year and already through fires we know the original 3500 mah battery was squeezed in there with no room for error so there is a reason for them to go down in size with the refurbs.

But the Note 8 is a clean sheet design over the 7 and, learning what they did from the 7 debacle, they could make the battery area as big/thick as they want to fit everything they wanted including pen and they chose not to. No excuses.

And that's my point lol

People think they are not going to be cautious with the follow up to that disaster? Please...
    notefreak, jhimmel and jimd1050 like this.
    08-15-2017 04:50 AM

Because the size of the N7 is already set, so they had to do something else to solve the problem. They could make the N8 as thick as needed in order to fit 4000mah comfortably - just like they did with the S8 Active.
    jimd1050 and dsignori like this.
    08-15-2017 12:05 PM
    S8 Active isn't supposed to be sleak and sexy. It's rugged and hard core, so thickness isn't a big deal. The Note, on the other hand, is SUPPOSED to be sexy. So do you fatten it up (not saying fat can't be Sexxy 😉), or do you skimp a little on battery? All things considered, I'd have gone the same route. It's not like you're only gonna get 3 hours sot or something....Goodness, I hope not 😣

I mean, we can debate until Samsung speaks out and gives us the method for their madness. Otherwise, we'll never know. With all the options for charging throughout the day, the slight reduction in battery size isn't a big deal to me. I'm just thankful they didn't shut the Note line down completely.
    jimd1050 and 21538940075 like this.
    08-15-2017 12:55 PM
    The Note 7 FE... the phone is made from already produced Note 7s from last year and already through fires we know the original 3500 mah battery was squeezed in there with no room for error so there is a reason for them to go down in size with the refurbs.

But the Note 8 is a clean sheet design over the 7 and, learning what they did from the 7 debacle, they could make the battery area as big/thick as they want to fit everything they wanted including pen and they chose not to. No excuses.
    Except the Note 8 isn't a clean slate. It shares design qualities from the S8 plus , with the addition of an S-pen. Thus, 200 less mAh.

It's not an excuse, it's a decision by the company...at their descretion, take it or leave it.

And unless you can prove to me that the Note 8 will have terrible battery life as a result, they made the right call.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    08-15-2017 01:50 PM
    S8 Active isn't supposed to be sleak and sexy. It's rugged and hard core, so thickness isn't a big deal. The Note, on the other hand, is SUPPOSED to be sexy. So do you fatten it up (not saying fat can't be Sexxy ), or do you skimp a little on battery? All things considered, I'd have gone the same route. It's not like you're only gonna get 3 hours sot or something....Goodness, I hope not

I mean, we can debate until Samsung speaks out and gives us the method for their madness. Otherwise, we'll never know. With all the options for charging throughout the day, the slight reduction in battery size isn't a big deal to me. I'm just thankful they didn't shut the Note line down completely.
    True dat, Katrina! Well said...
    08-15-2017 01:53 PM

And unless you can prove to me that the Note 8 will have terrible battery life as a result, they made the right call.
    Why should that be the standard anyone judges it by? For a near $1000 phone, the standard should be "unless you can proved to me that it gets EXCELLENT battery life, they made the WRONG decision". This is a massive top-of-the-line phone that people should expect excellent battery life from, not hope it gets OK battery life ... 1 or 2 mm of thickness (if they even needed to do that - and I bet they didn't even need to) still is a good trade off for excellent battery life.
    08-15-2017 02:48 PM
    Why should that be the standard anyone judges it by? For a near $1000 phone, the standard should be "unless you can proved to me that it gets EXCELLENT battery life, they made the WRONG decision". This is a massive top-of-the-line phone that people should expect excellent battery life from, not hope it gets OK battery life ... 1 or 2 mm of thickness (if they even needed to do that - and I bet they didn't even need to) still is a good trade off for excellent battery life.
    I didn't say anything about ok battery life.

Everyone cried and cried when the 3,500 battery was announced for the S8 plus and the S8 for that matter. "Those large screens are going to kill battery life"

Both phones ended up having excellent battery life. Add to that other flagships with around 3000 mAh batteries, and there were very few complaints. It's not just about making a phone thicker. It also involves re working the internals to safely fit a larger battery.

So again, where's the proof that the Note 8 will be any different?
    08-15-2017 03:01 PM
    I didn't say anything about ok battery life.

Everyone cried and cried when the 3,500 battery was announced for the S8 plus and the S8 for that matter. "Those large screens are going to kill battery life"

Both phones ended up having excellent battery life. Add to that other flagships with around 3000 mAh batteries, and there were very few complaints.

So again, where's the proof that the Note 8 will be any different?

It's pretty obvious that they went conservative because of the Note 7 problems, I think most realize this. The point is Samsung has the ability and technology to put a 4,000 MAh battery in a phone this giant, and they are choosing not to (for good reasons or not). If you don't believe they can, then I guess you must believe all the other manufactures who did (in a smaller package) know something Samsung doesn't.

It's also possible that you believe they can, and are OK with them choosing not to. That's fine. I am not OK with this size battery in this size phone. My expectation with this size phone is a bigger battery which would help all users every day. Whatever battery life they will get, it will be batter with a larger battery (of course). I loved my Note 4, 5, and 7. None had excellent battery life as I expected. Maybe the Note 8 will. But it's less likely with this size battery that with a larger one ..
    08-15-2017 03:13 PM
    For me it's not about being okay with anything. I don't deal in "could haves, should haves". I deal in what is in front of me. And I can only base my expectations on my recent use of other flagship devices. And every phone I have used in the last 2 years has featured a 3,000mah battery or slightly more or less. Not one of them (S8+, iPhone 7, HTC 10) has failed to get me through a days use). To me that is great progress in optimization, especially for Android.

For everyone that will be different, and larger batteries will always be welcome. But in this specific case (coming off the disastrous Note 7) anyone expecting a huge battery was fooling themselves.

By a Mate 9 and call it a day.
    08-15-2017 03:26 PM
    For me it's not about being okay with anything. I don't deal in "could haves, should haves". I deal in what is in front of me. And I can only base my expectations on my recent use of other flagship devices. And every phone I have used in the last 2 years has featured a 3,000mah battery or slightly more other less. Not one of them (S8+, iPhone 7, HTC 10) has failed to get me through a days use).

For everyone that will be different, and larger batteries will be always be welcome. But in this specific case (coming off the disastrous Note 7) how anyone could be expecting a huge battery is fooling themselves.

By a Mate 9 and call it a day.
    Now you know why that S8 Active is tugging at my elbow trying to get me BEFORE the Note 8 comes out!!! (I've been happily using an S7 Active since Samsung stole my Note 7)
    08-15-2017 03:31 PM
    Now you know why that S8 Active is tugging at my elbow trying to get me BEFORE the Note 8 comes out!!! (I've been happily using an S7 Active since Samsung stole my Note 7)
    The S8 Active looks like a great phone, and a great alternative if that extra bit of battery life (and sturdiness) is important. Hopefully it is released unlocked sooner rather than later.

I'm waiting on the Note. Because for me the S-pen is what I want!
    08-15-2017 03:39 PM
    The S8 Active looks like a great phone, and a great alternative if that extra bit of battery life (and sturdiness) is important. Hopefully it is released unlocked sooner rather than later.

I'm waiting on the Note. Because for me the S-pen is what I want!
    Yeah, I know... a Note 4 and a Note 5 with Verizon, a Note 5 with AT&T, two Note 7s and now the S7 Active... you could say I've grown pretty accustomed to that S-Pen too. The Note 7 battery though, spoiled me so that I couldn't go back to my Note 5... that's why I have the S7 Active. My Note 5 is sitting in it's box as a backup!
    08-15-2017 03:53 PM
    Yeah, I know... a Note 4 and a Note 5 with Verizon, a Note 5 with AT&T, two Note 7s and now the S7 Active... you could say I've grown pretty accustomed to that S-Pen too. The Note 7 battery though, spoiled me so that I couldn't go back to my Note 5... that's why I have the S7 Active. My Note 5 is sitting in it's box as a backup!
    I wish I had my N5. I traded it for the N7 on Next. What a loss!
    08-15-2017 05:02 PM
    S8+ Active version with flat display would rule.
    08-16-2017 02:41 PM
    I wish I had my N5. I traded it for the N7 on Next. What a loss!
    I fired it up this morning 'cuz I couldn't remember what I had for RAM. It fired right up - I hadn't done a Factory Reset yet in case I wanted to go back to it. I can just pop an AT&T SIM card in it and be back on the air - I'm sure by now, it'll need umpteen-million updates though. It's been off the air for almost 10 months and is still running a very early version of Marshmallow. I'd have to charge the battery and let it update for about three hours probably!

Note 8 Battery Capacity. Setting Up Right Expectations!-laugh_b.jpg
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    08-16-2017 04:27 PM
118 ... 345