Will you buy the Note 8 without a fingerprint sensor under the screen?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you except for this. The iris scanner is a technology in search of a use. Literally no one uses this. The ergonomics are awful. Believe me when I tell you that I detest apple. I'm just pointing out that Samsung needs to elevate its game. And as long as I'm complaining (lol) let me point out that Samsung routinely screws the USA by giving us the mediocre Snapdragon chipset while the rest of the world gets the vastly superior Exynos chip. Not fair and yes, it annoys me.
You realize why we get the Snapdragon variant right... ? Hint: CDMA and patents. :p.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't they release the Exynos variant to non CDMA carriers like AT&T if they wanted to?
Why do all that if they're trying to make it so they all have the same radios in the same region ? I don't blame them for not trying to split it up for the US. Easier to just make one and be done.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well they already make two variants US/Non-US and I think they make more Exynos units than SDs so if they had the capacity they could just dial up Exynos phones and dial down SD phones. They did start putting the SD in the Canadian versions but in past they were Exynos. I'm just thinking if I were Samsung, I'd want to use my own chip in my own phones. :confused:

Why do all that if they're trying to make it so they all have the same radios in the same region ? I don't blame them for not trying to split it up for the US. Easier to just make one and be done.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well they already make two variants US/Non-US and I think they make more Exynos units than SDs so if they had the capacity they could just dial up Exynos phones and dial down SD phones. They did start putting the SD in the Canadian versions but in past they were Exynos. I'm just thinking if I were Samsung, I'd want to use my own chip in my own phones. :confused:
I wouldn't deal with two variants for the same region just to say "oh look it's my processor" when majority of customers truly don't care. I guarantee the majority cares about all radios being there versus.. which brand processor.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
But within the US models, don't they have different variants anyways per carriers? I say that because each carrier may not have the same radio bands.

I wouldn't deal with two variants for the same region just to say "oh look it's my processor" when majority of customers truly don't care. I guarantee the majority cares about all radios being there versus.. which brand processor.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
I've read they are trying with embeded sensor but for now it is creating screen problems. Just think about red screen problem in s8, eek, I'd really rather be without screen fingerprint sensor.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I've read they are trying with embeded sensor but for now it is creating screen problems. Just think about red screen problem in s8, eek, I'd really rather be without screen fingerprint sensor.

I'm fine, but only if they do not increased price compared to S8+

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You realize why we get the Snapdragon variant right... ? Hint: CDMA and patents. :p.

Actually that's not necessarily true. Samsung is able to sell the Exynos version without issue, they just don't want to pay the licensing fees required to do it.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
But within the US models, don't they have different variants anyways per carriers? I say that because each carrier may not have the same radio bands.

Disabling bands via software is different than having to support an entirely different chipset.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually that's not necessarily true. Samsung is able to sell the Exynos version without issue, they just don't want to pay the licensing fees required to do it.

Actually it is true ... Qualcomm own the rights to CDMA hence why we have their chip in the US variant versus the Exynos.

Unless are you saying they could use theirs and pay the Qualcomm "fee" ? I bet it is way cheaper to use Snapdragons processor then use the Exynos and pay the fee.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It looks like a rear scanner is highly divisive amongst Samsung buyers. Many people obviously tolerate the current S8 style otherwise it wouldn't be selling. Others can tolerate a rear scanner but only if it's done properly like LG or Pixel. And then others like me that are used to a front scanner and will not consider at all a rear scanner and wait instead for Sammy's first embedded scanner or alternatively buy another brand.

Sometimes when cooking I open the screen to a recipe. So a few times when the screen turns off you need to turn it on again so picking up the phone to put your finger on a rear scanner is a pain. So much easier to press and hold on a front scanner. With a rear scanner you'd have to set the screen to not time out.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Rear scanner of any type = no sale. And that horrible camera housing protrusion is an affront to the eyes. Then, to top it off we get a battery that's 300 mAh less than the S7 edge. Yuck. Sticking with my S7 Edge for a while. We'll see if Samsung can get the S9 right next spring.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually it is true ... Qualcomm own the rights to CDMA hence why we have their chip in the US variant versus the Exynos.

Unless are you saying they could use theirs and pay the Qualcomm "fee" ? I bet it is way cheaper to use Snapdragons processor then use the Exynos and pay the fee.

Qualcomm does own the rights to CDMA technology. Huawei found a way to make a compatible baseband processor (Modem) while not infringing on Qualcomm patents at least in China. Just like Samsung adaptive fast charging is compatible with Qualcomm quick charge, but isn't certified Qualcomm quick charge so Samsung can use it without paying royalties to Qualcomm.

The other issue is FCC certification, which would take time. Even if it could be certified, Qualcomm would have a much easier time suing Huawei for copyright infringement in USA courts, should it infringe on a Qualcomm patent.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It should also be noted that AFAIK Samsung doesn't have an in house CDMA solution. Samsung would have to find a way to do CDMA without infringing on Qualcomm patents if they wanted to do a CDMA solution. IMO, it doesn't make sense to pay royalties to Qualcomm to use CDMA on Samsung in house Chip.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Qualcomm granted Samsung the ability to sell Exynos processors with CDMA radios, but only in Samsung phones. But in the process they got stuck with unreasonably high licensing fees if they actually sell them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Qualcomm granted Samsung the ability to sell Exynos processors with CDMA radios, but only in Samsung phones. But in the process they got stuck with unreasonably high licensing fees if they actually sell them.
Exactly so.. it comes back to what I said. CDMA. Fees. Etc.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly so.. it comes back to what I said. CDMA. Fees. Etc.

Yeah bottom line is cost... Which is more cost effective for Samsung overall. Samsung did use a exynos processor in the USA note 2 and note 5. Both had discrete Qualcomm CDMA capable baseband processors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis