Will you buy the Note 8 without a fingerprint sensor under the screen?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I know I won't. It's pretty much a certainty that Apple has this ready to go in their iPhone 8. It's absolutely disgraceful that Samsung still is rumored not to be able to get this right. They wanted it in the S8 but couldn't close the deal and now, shockingly, it's looking like a year and a half later they still haven't figured it out. I would have jumped on the Note 8 in a second as I passed on the S8 line. Still happy with my S7 Edge but I'd like to upgrade. But it's looking like I will have to wait for the S9 next spring. Samsung should be ashamed of itself if they let Apple beat them to the punch on this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using AC Forums mobile app

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Actually there have been articles saying Apple has been having issues with it as well so not a guarantee there either.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll be less annoyed if I find that Apple can't get it right either. But (sadly) Apple has beaten Samsung to the punch several times in the past and if this is the case again, it'll be really, really annoying.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Would you rather they put it in there and it not work well? I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to beat Apple. If they haven't figured it out, they haven't figured it out. It does sound like the Note 8 is just shaping up to be an S8+ with an Spen though. Overall, I'm disappointed with it, especially that battery capacity. I'll probably just wait for the S9.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
That is the least of my problems with it. I am really disappointed with the battery capacity.

Rumoured Size: 3,300mAh

Would have to say the same. Obviously the S-Pen takes up some space on the side of the device. So I presume they made the battery smaller to fit it in. 😃

Regarding OP's question. Not having the FPS embedded in the screen isn't a deal breaker for me. It obviously would be really awesome to have but the dual cameras with dual IOS and 6GB RAM does slightly make up for it.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
They went with the smaller battery in the Note 7 than the S7 Edge too to fit the pen. Just amazing they wont make it 1mm thicker to design/fit a thicker battery for what's suppose to be a poweruser type phone that the Note was kinda based one with pen functionality. :confused:

Looking at the back of a S8+, I'm trying to imagine them fitting dual cameras... side by side... flash next to them... THEN... the fingerprint sensor. :confused:

Rumoured Size: 3,300mAh

Would have to say the same. Obviously the S-Pen takes up some space on the side of the device. So I presume they made the battery smaller to fit it in. ??????

Regarding OP's question. Not having the FPS embedded in the screen isn't a deal breaker for me. It obviously would be really awesome to have but the dual cameras with dual IOS and 6GB RAM does slightly make up for it.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
No on-screen FPS is really disappointing, but even worse I cannot believe they are going to put the FPS at the same position as S8. For the first time, I really hope Samsung will just fail and get crushed by Apple.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I know I won't. It's pretty much a certainty that Apple has this ready to go in their iPhone 8. It's absolutely disgraceful that Samsung still is rumored not to be able to get this right...........Samsung should be ashamed of itself if they let Apple beat them to the punch on this.

I think this is completely unreasonable of you. Apparently the embedded scanner is an enormous technical challenge, and Sammy have enlisted another company in addition to Synaptics to crack this. They are doing everything they can to bring it to market, and as another poster has said, Apple are also having difficulty, hence the delay of the next iPhone.

But really, all this angst against Samsung who are busting their chops to bring this new technology to market? Not fair of you at all.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I think this is completely unreasonable of you. Apparently the embedded scanner is an enormous technical challenge, and Sammy have enlisted another company in addition to Synaptics to crack this. They are doing everything they can to bring it to market, and as another poster has said, Apple are also having difficulty, hence the delay of the next iPhone.

But really, all this angst against Samsung who are busting their chops to bring this new technology to market? Not fair of you at all.
Bottom line... if Apple beats Samsung to market with this, it reflects very poorly on Samsung. They have the same R&D capabilities and yet time after time, Apple brings stuff to market with Samsung sitting on its thumbs on the sidelines. Believe me, I'm no Apple fan and I wouldn't use an iPhone if you gave me one for free. It's just maddening that Samsung can't seem to keep up.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Bottom line... if Apple beats Samsung to market with this, it reflects very poorly on Samsung. They have the same R&D capabilities and yet time after time, Apple brings stuff to market with Samsung sitting on its thumbs on the sidelines. Believe me, I'm no Apple fan and I wouldn't use an iPhone if you gave me one for free. It's just maddening that Samsung can't seem to keep up.

Keep up? IPhones have had older style LCD screens forever and are only now about to go AMOLED. Sammy has had waterproofing long before Apple. Ditto for wireless charging. And ditto for fast charging. Ditto for a heap of things Apple is far behind in. I don't think the Apple crowd can cheer like America beating the Russians to put a man on the moon if they crack the embedded scanner first.

I'm amazed that when I cast an app to my TV that I can pause and play it and control the volume from the lock screen of my 3 yr old galaxy phone whilst my friend's latest iPhone has no such capabilities. Sammy phones are way ahead in many ways.

But you know what they say. You can't win them all.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Would you rather they put it in there and it not work well? I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to beat Apple. If they haven't figured it out, they haven't figured it out. It does sound like the Note 8 is just shaping up to be an S8+ with an Spen though. Overall, I'm disappointed with it, especially that battery capacity. I'll probably just wait for the S9.
When hasn't the note pretty much been a Galaxy S phone with a spen?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Back in the day it used to have better specs. It also used to have a bigger screen. If it's 6.3in compared to the 6.2in of an S8+, that's basically negligible. I mean at that point, I see no reason to get it. I'm not gonna notice that difference in screen size.

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site

There have always been similarities between the two lines but at the same time clear differences in specs and overall size. The Note 4 was a clear departure from the S series as it looked very little like its counter part the S5.

Since then both series have merged into the same design ethos and overall specs/size with the only clear difference being the S Pen and its software features.

IMHO, one thing Samsung could've done instead to maintain a clear differentiation was to keep a user-replaceable battery in the Note line keeping the productivity/power user aspect to it.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
There have always been similarities between the two lines but at the same time clear differences in specs and overall size. The Note 4 was a clear departure from the S series as it looked very little like its counter part the S5.

Since then both series have merged into the same design ethos and overall specs/size with the only clear difference being the S Pen and its software features.

IMHO, one thing Samsung could've done instead to maintain a clear differentiation was to keep a user-replaceable battery in the Note line keeping the productivity/power user aspect to it.
No one will keep removable batteries. There's not enough money in it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know I won't. It's pretty much a certainty that Apple has this ready to go in their iPhone 8. It's absolutely disgraceful that Samsung still is rumored not to be able to get this right. They wanted it in the S8 but couldn't close the deal and now, shockingly, it's looking like a year and a half later they still haven't figured it out. I would have jumped on the Note 8 in a second as I passed on the S8 line. Still happy with my S7 Edge but I'd like to upgrade. But it's looking like I will have to wait for the S9 next spring. Samsung should be ashamed of itself if they let Apple beat them to the punch on this.

"Pretty much" a certainty for Apple but disgraceful that it's a rumor for Samsung?

Sounds like both are rumors and not 100 percent confirmed.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I would have bet money on this and LOST! But apparently the Note 8 will have the same FPS scanner as the S8. The only difference will be that the camera lens and the capacitive reader will be a little further apart.

In hindsight, this makes sense from an industry point of view. Samsung would have had the embedded scanner in mind from the beginning-like the S8. Once again, a last minute decision means you can't just redesign the entire rear assembly on short notice. You have to go with the original design and just dump the scanner as conveniently as possible within that limitation.

A bummer but that's commercial reality.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
"Pretty much" a certainty for Apple but disgraceful that it's a rumor for Samsung?

Sounds like both are rumors and not 100 percent confirmed.

Didn't a Samsung official state flat out it wasn't happening because of technical issues?

Also I'm not sure why people are disappointed in Samsung here. Apple develops this tech in-house since they bought Authentec and can throw as much manpower as they need at it. Samsung has no such luxury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969