To Pen or Not To Pen from a Note User

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has been pushing the Note phone line more and more mainstream to the point that there is very little difference between S*Plus and Note. And based on all the info the Note 8 is going to look exactly like S8 Plus with a Pen. Yes, it's going to be 0.1" taller screen, but pls let's get real.

I've been using Note phones for about 5 years now and I am wondering if there is any point in Note series anymore if they are just a S*Plus with a Pen. I almost never use the Pen. In all of 5 years I may have used the pen 20 times. And that's generous.

I have a Note tablet as well that is a workhorse but I never use the pen.

I am not even going to bring the price into discussion even though the Note 8 maybe $200 more than its identical twin S8 Plus.

So, to pen or not to pen?

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I used the pen all the time for business. I use it to take in meetings, edits, Electronic signatures. Also with credit card transactions. So I am a power user who uses the Pen. So I say pen! If you are a user who never uses the pen then go with the S series. If you are power user that uses the Pen in business then Note 8 all day.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
The Note use to be so much more than just the pen and it has been reduced to that, just a S+ with pen.

So the only argument for the Note 8, is whether you use the pen. that's shameful and quite a downgrade. :)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has been pushing the Note phone line more and more mainstream to the point that there is very little difference between S*Plus and Note. And based on all the info the Note 8 is going to look exactly like S8 Plus with a Pen. Yes, it's going to be 0.1" taller screen, but pls let's get real.

I've been using Note phones for about 5 years now and I am wondering if there is any point in Note series anymore if they are just a S*Plus with a Pen. I almost never use the Pen. In all of 5 years I may have used the pen 20 times. And that's generous.

I am not even going to bring the price into discussion even though the Note 8 maybe $200 more than its identical twin S8 Plus.

That's how I feel, I don't use the pen much and what I did use it for I can now do those things on the S8. I went with the S8 plus and been happy. If you don't use the S pen, IMO get the S8 plus. The note 8 might have some extra perks, but those will be on the S9 next year with more perks. It's a vicious cycle, LOL.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Who says that it is just an S8+ with a pen. The Rumors, the Renders, we should just wait for the Announcement. I use S-Note and Microsoft office with the S-Pen. Who told you that they removed the software that was on the Note 4-7? The Note Series is so much more then just a pen. I take all these rumors with a grain of salt until Samsung announces it.

Last edited:

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Truly enjoy using the SPen in the Note 5! Opens up the phone for so many other business applications and uses. I'm just a little bewildered as to using the curved screen and elongated S8+ as the 'possible' basis for the Note 8. Appreciate the wider chassis of the Note 5 as frankly this phone's size is about as ideal as they come for all use especially while using the SPen. Seems like Sammy knows more about actual usage than their customers. 🙄 Not!

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Give me a replaceable battery and I will be back.

Used the Note series from version 2 onward. Started losing my enthusiasm with the Note 5--no MHL, no IF Blaster, no replaceable battery, no substantial improvement in S pen software. Add the flimsy, easily broken stylus and the Note was no longer the workhorse originally envisioned by Samsung.

I love the stylus but, sorry, Samsung I'll stick with the S8+. You could have made it compatible with the S pen but that would have softened profits for the Note. Can't do that.

I'll never go to Apple but my next device might well be something other Samsung.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Smart bunch of replies. I would never consider Apple products. Also we used to have more options for top android phones besides Samsung. HTC used to be hot, but Samsung took over for elite users because they are at the cutting-edge. Somehow left everyone else in the dust.

True that we should wait until the release and not buy all the rumors. Also apparently Samsung's internal name for Note 8 is "great." I love my Note Edge, it works as new, you can swap the battery, has a IR blaster and there is no other phone like it physically. And swapping the battery on these sealed phones is a major hassle and can damage internals.

But by the time the Note 8 comes out my Note Edge will be 3 years old, and would be tempted to upgrade, even though I haven't been tempted yet by any other phone. Note Edge's QHD screen hasn't been topped. :)

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Yup, less and less distinguish between S and Note series. After all the leaks came out, the only reason I'm still considering Note 8 is for the dual camera, if not I will get the S8+ in an instant.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I know some of us are hardcore Note fans. As I am. But more and more I am questioning this taller/narrower direction. I just don't get it.

Samsung is making their elite phones like sausages now? All the same width just taller by 1/4" to 1/2"+?

I stopped by the VZW store to check out the S8 Plus and put it next to the S8 and it's simply just a tad taller version. Looking identical with the same exact width. My phone was a good 1/2"+ wider.

And I don't care for taller phones. Tallness doesn't provide me with usable screen real estate. Wider does.

So, I would have never considered the S series but looking at S8 and Plus side by side and am wondering why do I even want that 1/4" space on top on the Plus? What's the point of it?

So, anyway, will see what Samsung will do with Note 8, but so much of it has already leaked.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I agree. The pen means a lot to me, so I will still probably get it (what else is there?) But I definitely won't have the same enthusiasm as I would have. Wider is much more useful to me also. Disappointing width, and disappointing battery size, if all rumors are true. Many won't agree, but that is my opinion. If there was a 16:9 alternative with a good size screen, a pen, and good pen software - I'd jump to it instead.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
If there was a 16:9 alternative with a good size screen, a pen, and good pen software - I'd jump to it instead.

I agree, why is Samsung not embracing 16:9 and just going with these narrow and long phones? I get that you can use narrow phones one handed but they are kinda of useless offering such narrow screen real estate.

Unless they are thinking of women's hands... I think they are designing phones for women who typically have much smaller hands, since women tend to upgrade/change their phones more often than men.

I think I just hit the target on their marketing objective.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I know some of us are hardcore Note fans. As I am. But more and more I am questioning this taller/narrower direction. I just don't get it.

Samsung is making their elite phones like sausages now? All the same width just taller by 1/4" to 1/2"+?

I stopped by the VZW store to check out the S8 Plus and put it next to the S8 and it's simply just a tad taller version. Looking identical with the same exact width. My phone was a good 1/2"+ wider.

And I don't care for taller phones. Tallness doesn't provide me with usable screen real estate. Wider does.

So, I would have never considered the S series but looking at S8 and Plus side by side and am wondering why do I even want that 1/4" space on top on the Plus? What's the point of it?

So, anyway, will see what Samsung will do with Note 8, but so much of it has already leaked.
I do not like the width of the Notes. The Note 4 was the sweet spot for me. I have big hands. I loved my Note 7 but the width caused me headaches when typing.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

Unless my eyes are deceiving me the s8 is narrower than the s8+. The S8 is about the same width as the 7edge which I did not like-too narrow. I took several pics ofn7edge and s8/s8+ side by side. 8+ is definitely wider than 7edge. Also feels wider than the s8 .

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Unless my eyes are deceiving me the s8 is narrower than the s8+. The S8 is about the same width as the 7edge which I did not like-too narrow. I took several pics ofn7edge and s8/s8+ side by side. 8+ is definitely wider than 7edge. Also feels wider than the s8 .

Hi, I just looked it up. S8 Plus is 74mm wide vs 68mm wide on S8. That's only 6mm or 0.2".

To the eye they look nearly identical in width.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Marketing, people wouldn't buy last year's design this year. They gotta come up with something right?
But it helps if it's something people want. Making it the shape of an ice cream sandwich does not seem to be winning people over. I get that some like it, but I wonder if it is the majority of potential customers that are happy about the direction taken.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Having used every Note since it's original release, including the Note edge and the later defunct Note 7, I still have a Note 5, but have chosen the S8 + over it due to the mere fact that it has expandable storage. But I am patiently awaiting the release of the Note 8 so i can go back to my normal procedure(s)...

The Note on the outside seems like the bigger version of the normal flagship, as follows:
each of these share the design aesthetics of the previous flagship, but include note features, new features along with the beloved S-Pen

Note = Note-rized S2
Note 2 - Note-rized S3
Note 3 - Note-rized S4
Note 4 - Note-rized S5
Note Edge - Note-reized S5 with the introduction of a curved Edge
Note 5 - Note-rized S6
Note 7 - Note-rized S7/S7 Edge...

Note 8 should and will follow the same tradition, no matter what a rumor says or tries to advocate, it will always follow that principle...

The note is that extra edge that you are looking for, for both business, personal, and entertainment users... what makes it different is the level of sensitivity and features that are found in the S Pen and the Wacom digitizer enabled... from quick edits in the calendar, to scrolling capture with editing while doing so, quick access when removing the S Pen...

If you feel that these subtle but dramatic difference are not for you, by all means, get an S8 or + with a generic stylus and rock out...

I kinda look at it as a car with top features, while the Note and the S Pen just gives you the fully loaded trim level.

"It ain't for everybody!" - Jay Z "Hollywood"

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I originally had the S8 when it was released and sold the idea of getting one to a coworker of mine, elderly, with bad eyes, and what note... he ended up getting the Plus, and after using it a few hours setting it up for him, I was a believer and got it, and it's still smaller than my iPhone 7+, width wise, and just a TAD taller...

To touch on the curved screens, Samsung seems to be sticking with the curve, but it's a natural curve that was found in the Note 7, which worked 10000% better than that of the s6 Edge and the s7 Edge and the Note edge... they found the sweet spot as it is held in hand with no problem, and I don't have large hands at all... Now to poke at them a little bit, when working on an art program or something with the note 8 if it has a steep curve it will be kinda sucky as you will tend to go off the screen a lot....

Many of consumers don't know what they want, and go with whatever trend is there, and it's kinda hard to cater to most, if any at all