With the unpacked event less than a month away, where are all my cases? or my screen protectors?

Last year at this point in the timeframe of things I already had 2 different cases and a screen protector for the Note 7.

I wonder if they are holding off to see if this one has issues too?

I usually use Skinomi for my protectors, their website has an "Note 8" and a "Note 8 plus" when I emailed them asking for clarification I got a letter back telling me they "are still thinking about it". lol

Could they also be holding off because Samsung hasn't settled on a perm design yet?
    08-05-2017 10:17 PM
    I don't know but I'm waiting also. I always like to have a case available before verizon sends me the phone. I never buy cases thru verizon cause I never like their choses lol
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-05-2017 10:48 PM
    Could they also be holding off because Samsung hasn't settled on a perm design yet?
    Not sure when they'll start selling for most of the post, but this part - the design has been final for months at this point. They got their FCC certification last week, they've been going through carrier certification, final software testing, etc.

Just as a glimpse into how the timeline works, the original design usually begins about 16-20 months prior to the device launch. During that time they can start with preliminary conversations about what components are going to be available, where they're going to produce, get the preliminary design going, etc. A lot of those component decisions are dictating the design of the device.

Semi-final specs and the secondary design phase are typically determined 8 to 12 months prior to the release. At that point we usually have somewhat working prototypes running very basic software to simulate any new features, functionality, etc.

By the time we get to 6 months before launch, final specs are typically complete and parts have begun being ordered, assembly line time is scheduled/ordered and most of the software for the device is complete.

3 months prior to launch, it is almost impossible to change any hardware decisions unless there is a showstopper that is going to justify delaying the launch.

1 to 2 months prior to launch, assembly has begun on the first batches of units and units are being stocked up. The closer they wait to the 30 days or less period, the more up to date the software is out of the box.

As we're now in that last period, it is safe to say that the final design is set because the first units have already been fabricated. All that said, Samsung has a bit of an advantage in that they create a lot of their own parts - so they may be able to slim down the timeline a bit. Also, this timeline is based on how things worked a couple years ago, it's possible that the whole process has been slimmed down even more, but this is generally why we see new features/trends in devices emerge over a 1.5 to 2 year period rather than everyone doing the same thing all at once.

TL/DR, the Note 8 was started before the Note 7 ever was announced and the design was almost definitely "final" before the S8 launch.
    Jewels81, burrzoo and 21538940075 like this.
    08-05-2017 10:55 PM
    Not sure when they'll start selling for most of the post, but this part - the design has been final for months at this point. They got their FCC certification last week, they've been going through carrier certification, final software testing, etc.

Just as a glimpse into how the timeline works, the original design usually begins about 16-20 months prior to the device launch. During that time they can start with preliminary conversations about what components are going to be available, where they're going to produce, get the preliminary design going, etc. A lot of those component decisions are dictating the design of the device.

Semi-final specs and the secondary design phase are typically determined 8 to 12 months prior to the release. At that point we usually have somewhat working prototypes running very basic software to simulate any new features, functionality, etc.

By the time we get to 6 months before launch, final specs are typically complete and parts have begun being ordered, assembly line time is scheduled/ordered and most of the software for the device is complete.

3 months prior to launch, it is almost impossible to change any hardware decisions unless there is a showstopper that is going to justify delaying the launch.

1 to 2 months prior to launch, assembly has begun on the first batches of units and units are being stocked up. The closer they wait to the 30 days or less period, the more up to date the software is out of the box.

As we're now in that last period, it is safe to say that the final design is set because the first units have already been fabricated. All that said, Samsung has a bit of an advantage in that they create a lot of their own parts - so they may be able to slim down the timeline a bit. Also, this timeline is based on how things worked a couple years ago, it's possible that the whole process has been slimmed down even more, but this is generally why we see new features/trends in devices emerge over a 1.5 to 2 year period rather than everyone doing the same thing all at once.

TL/DR, the Note 8 was started before the Note 7 ever was announced and the design was almost definitely "final" before the S8 launch.
    Lmao call me stupid but what is TL/DR?
    burrzoo likes this.
    08-05-2017 11:03 PM
    Lmao call me stupid but what is TL/DR?
    "Too long, didn't read" - Basically a summary.
    08-05-2017 11:09 PM
    As an example, this year's 'Google Pixel 2 XL' or whatever it's going to be called test devices that I heard of went out about 2.5 weeks ago. That's after some of the Google folks were already using them internally. And that device is still about 2 months from launch.
    08-05-2017 11:14 PM
    "Too long, didn't read" - Basically a summary.
    Oh ok. Thanks.
    08-05-2017 11:18 PM
    Galaxy Note 8 Plus?!

Ahem. What could this indicate? A bigger battery, larger screen version of the Note 8? If the August 23rd announcement also reveals a soon-to-be-released wow factor of a Note 8 Plus, who wouldn't want that?

Skinomi has multiple products listed for the Note 8 Plus. What do you guys think about this?

Samsung Cell Phone Screen Protectors, Skins, Cases, Shields, Covers - Skinomi TechSkin™ for Galaxy Note 8 Plus
    08-06-2017 02:33 AM
    Hmmm maybe that site is mistaken? This is the first time I've heard of the note 8 plus. Unless Samsung going to surprise us with a regular note 8 and note 8 plus but I doubt it
    Aquila likes this.
    08-06-2017 03:09 AM
    Hmmm maybe that site is mistaken? This is the first time I've heard of the note 8 plus. Unless Samsung going to surprise us with a regular note 8 and note 8 plus but I doubt it

Ev leaks would have busted that by now...js
    Jewels81 and Aquila like this.
    08-06-2017 04:38 PM
    Ev leaks would have busted that by now...js
    Lol yelp.
    08-06-2017 04:46 PM
    Mobile fun (US) got the cases for sale.
    Slickwraps is officially selling the skins in their site.
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    08-06-2017 07:12 PM
    Mobile fun (US) got the cases for sale.
    Slickwraps is officially selling the skins in their site.
    Slick also has spigen cases with a design on them for note 8..
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    08-06-2017 09:21 PM