Should I pre-order from Verizon or Samsung?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I've always done ordering and pre-ordering with verizon. So never went thru Samsung directly. So I'm just curious why people would go to Samsung instead of their carrier to pre-order. Any thoughts? Should I just stick with Verizon or try out Samsung?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I personally get my phones from Verizon, just seems easier, everything is optimized to work for their network, and they handle the warranty needs in store.

Buying unlocked avoids having the carrier software on the phone. I think it also means needing to manually update the phone yourself when updates roll out instead of them being pushed over the air.

Someone else could probably answer this better, so let's see what else gets said. Maybe I'm wrong.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I personally get my phones from Verizon, just seems easier, everything is optimized to work for their network, and they handle the warranty needs in store.

Buying unlocked avoids having the carrier software on the phone. I think it also means needing to manually update the phone yourself when updates roll out instead of them being pushed over the air.

Someone else could probably answer this better, so let's see what else gets said. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks. Yeah I'll most likely preorder thru verizon. I'm just curious.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Those of us who ordered through Samsung wish we hadn't. Almost all of my tech is Samsung. Last year was the first and last time I pre-order from Samsung.com. I love Samsung products but they really need to take lessons from Apple on customer service. I pre-ordered almost immediately and people were walking into the carrier stores who didn't even pre-order a phone at all and picking up their phone before those of us who had pre-ordered through Samsung. Several dropped their pre- order with Samsung and then just went and picked it up at the store. The only reason I didn't was they had sent me my SD card and I would have had to send it back and then worry about them goofing that up and charging me for it. Go look up the note 7 forum and search the Samsung.com thread and you will see. I will go the carrier route this time.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Those of us who ordered through Samsung wish we hadn't. Almost all of my tech is Samsung. Last year was the first and last time I pre-order from Samsung.com. I love Samsung products but they really need to take lessons from Apple on customer service. I pre-ordered almost immediately and people were walking into the carrier stores who didn't even pre-order a phone at all and picking up their phone before those of us who had pre-ordered through Samsung. Several dropped their pre- order with Samsung and then just went and picked it up at the store. The only reason I didn't was they had sent me my SD card and I would have had to send it back and then worry about them goofing that up and charging me for it. Go look up the note 7 forum and search the Samsung.com thread and you will see. I will go the carrier route this time.

Damn. Thanks for your input. Yeah I didn't go thru the whole thread of course but I think I saw enough lol. Yeah, I preordered the note7 thru verizon and I'll do the same when the note 8 is available for pre-order. Crazy. I just wish they would charge my card for the taxes etc when I place the preorder instead of waiting til it ships. But oh well. At least I know when it is about to ship.

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Carriers are better for reasons mentioned above.. my question is.. carrier vs best buy? Best buy usually throws in their own extra perk or two..

Anyone have experience there?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Samsung will push updates through to their unlocked phones...most times faster than the carriers do. So the updates come directly from Samsung. They don't have to go through all the carrier testing and release times.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I was just wondering the same thing- but I really need to make sure I get WiFi calling (I have AT&T but I assume each carrier likes wifi calling on their own branded phones)

After reading this, I think I'll just play it safe and deal with the bloatware and pre-order through AT&T

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I usually pre-order through carriers but this time I'm gonna wait this one out. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to get the N8 but if it's as high as whats being said, I may wait and see what deals come down the pipe.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I was just wondering the same thing- but I really need to make sure I get WiFi calling (I have AT&T but I assume each carrier likes wifi calling on their own branded phones)

After reading this, I think I'll just play it safe and deal with the bloatware and pre-order through AT&T

Lol yeah. Same here. Loved how smoothly preorder thru verizon went for me with the note7. This will be my 2nd time preordering so I'm going to stick with ordering thru Verizon.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I usually pre-order through carriers but this time I'm gonna wait this one out. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to get the N8 but if it's as high as whats being said, I may wait and see what deals come down the pipe.

I totally understand that. Sadly I'm not that patient lmao. If the note7 wasn't recalled I probably wouldn't even get note 8

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Carriers are better for reasons mentioned above.. my question is.. carrier vs best buy? Best buy usually throws in their own extra perk or two..

Anyone have experience there?
This might be the 1st year I consider BestBuy. I've always pre-ordered from VZW (except for the year I stood outside at 7am to wait for the Blackberry Tour, lol!). I do remember the N7 Samsung.com thread - so I don't think I'd go that route.

This is also the first year I'm not jacking another family member's upgrade, so I will finally have my own upgrade to use :) and can get it from BB without confusing everything!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03