08-22-2017 10:14 PM
28 12
tools
    Although most of us, including me, are whining about these new tall and narrow phones from Samsung, but I came across a good argument for them.

People are not using their phones horizontally any more. They basically hold them in portrait style the whole time, even for pics and videos. This seems to have originated the idea of ditching 16:9 format and go with phones that are taller because taller phones allow you to do more for those who never flip their phones and that's most of the users.

Also most importantly with tall phone when the keyboard pops up it doesn't cover half or most of the screen. This one reason alone is tempting me to remain open to this new tall/narrow format.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    08-14-2017 04:14 PM
    Although most of us, including me, are whining about these new tall and narrow phones from Samsung, but I came across a good argument for them.

People are not using their phones horizontally any more. They basically hold them in portrait style the whole time, even for pics and videos. This seems to have originated the idea of ditching 16:9 format and go with phones that are taller because taller phones allow you to do more for those who never flip their phones and that's most of the users.

Also most importantly with tall phone when the keyboard pops up it doesn't cover half or most of the screen. This one reason alone is tempting me to remain open to this new tall/narrow format.
    Hmmm!
    08-14-2017 04:19 PM
    I use multi window a lot and the longer screen is a plus for me. The S8+ will always be my primary device because of it and I can't wait for the Note 8 to replace it.
    08-14-2017 04:27 PM
    I use multi window a lot and the longer screen is a plus for me. The S8+ will always be my primary device because of it and I can't wait for the Note 8 to replace it.
    That's another argument, stacked multi-windows.
    08-14-2017 04:43 PM
    That's funny. I use multi screen all the time on my N5 (did on N7 & previous Notes as well), and never realized that the increased length would add size for that feature. Good point.
    Jewels81, jimd1050, amyf27 and 1 others like this.
    08-14-2017 04:47 PM
    Seeing movies that people take in portrait mode drives my NUTS. Especially when there's a big news story and they shows this stupid cropped video missing half the action.
    I can see it the argument once in a while for doing this. But, I think people just do it because it's easier. Why can't there be be a setting for the camera to force landscape mode when holding it upright?
    08-14-2017 06:08 PM
    Seeing movies that people take in portrait mode drives my NUTS. Especially when there's a big news story and they shows this stupid cropped video missing half the action.
    I can see it the argument once in a while for doing this. But, I think people just do it because it's easier. Why can't there be be a setting for the camera to force landscape mode when holding it upright?
    THIS! So much this!
    bchain996 likes this.
    08-14-2017 10:24 PM
    yea, thought of that. part of the problem is that these portrait style videos play well on social media feeds where they are long and narrow. That's the main reason you see people keep shooting video in portrait. For example check out videos on IG, they are almost all in portrait style.

So the fact that it doesn't translate on HD-TV is certainly painful to watch but on SM feeds you don't miss the side footage.

There could be a feature that while you hold the camera in portrait it will shoot at 1080 landscape anyway, but how many people would pick that? Most never touch their phone camera settings and still want the long format to play well on SM feeds.
    08-15-2017 02:12 AM
    So true, people record videos in portrait, than put them on a video player that wants to play horizontal so you get to watch a tiny video in the middle of the screen with large empty black sides.
    08-15-2017 03:20 AM
    Definitely. I HATE portrait video and most portrait photos. Turn your phones!!
    TechNut79 and jimd1050 like this.
    08-15-2017 11:28 AM
    Yes, people, for God's sake - TURN YOUR PHONE FOR VIDEOS! Lol
    Just make it a habit. :-)
    jimd1050 and TechNut79 like this.
    08-15-2017 12:32 PM
    you guys are funny. no regular user would ever come on a forum or read our discussions. We represent less than 1% of users who are tech savvy enough to want to discuss these phones in detail.

They sell 1.5 billion phones a year worldwide, you are talking about the absolute lowest common denominator. You know the masses, the uncoordinated, those with 10 thumbs, those who know nothing about anything whatsoever. So when something is being used nearly by everyone on the planet everyday you can't control how people use them. They'll just point the damn thing and hope that whatever deity statue they have hanging on their kitchen wall will make it go. This is the planet of zombies, don't expect too much.

In 2016, around 1.5 billion smartphones were sold worldwide. In the fourth quarter of 2016, 81.7 percent of all smartphones sold to end users were phones with the Android operating system.
    jimd1050, sandra_17 and chanchan05 like this.
    08-15-2017 02:57 PM
    you guys are funny. no regular user would ever come on a forum or read our discussions. We represent less than 1% of users who are tech savvy enough to want to discuss these phones in detail.

They sell 1.5 billion phones a year worldwide, you are talking about the absolute lowest common denominator. You know the masses, the uncoordinated, those with 10 thumbs, those who know nothing about anything whatsoever. So when something is being used nearly by everyone on the planet everyday you can't control how people use them. They'll just point the damn thing and hope that whatever deity statue they have hanging on their kitchen wall will make it go. This is the planet of zombies, don't expect too much.
    It's got to start somewhere. Spread the word!
    08-15-2017 05:14 PM
    Greggles has a few cases in his latest video. It doesn't look that much bigger than the S8 plus. Maybe slightly wider based on looking at the cases.

sandra_17 and kevinpleasants like this.
    08-15-2017 09:59 PM
    I don't know about the rest of you but those cases look much wider to me than the S8+ style aspect ratio we've been talking about. He kept flipping them around quite a bit but the width looked pretty damned interesting to me!!!
    sandra_17 and 21538940075 like this.
    08-15-2017 11:26 PM
    Would've been nice to see him try putting an S8+ in one to give us a visual. Those 2 are supposed to be the closest in size.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-15-2017 11:34 PM
    Good thought.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-16-2017 10:11 AM
    Would've been nice to see him try putting an S8+ in one to give us a visual. Those 2 are supposed to be the closest in size.
    That's exactly what I did when I went to see the S8+ displays before preordering. I put it in the old Note 7 case I had and it nearly fit
    08-16-2017 02:33 PM
    Nah. I almost never use portrait mode. I hate it. Even when I'm watching po.....................kemon.
    08-16-2017 02:44 PM
    Nah. I almost never use portrait mode. I hate it. Even when I'm watching po.....................kemon.
    Hey watch it.....there are kids in here........😂
    08-16-2017 02:50 PM
    Hey watch it.....there are kids in here........
    Listen. I thought children watched Pokemon as well. I'm just saying. LoL
    Jewels81 and Serkle K like this.
    08-17-2017 07:38 AM
    Listen. I thought children watched Pokemon as well. I'm just saying. LoL
    Like I've told you....you are twisted. Pokemon my ass😄
    Serkle K likes this.
    08-17-2017 10:59 AM
    Like I've told you....you are twisted. Pokemon my ass
    I thought everyone enjoyed a bit of Poke......mon every now and again. LoL
    Jewels81 and kevinpleasants like this.
    08-17-2017 11:11 AM
    I thought everyone enjoyed a bit of Poke......mon every now and again. LoL
    😂
    08-17-2017 11:14 AM
    N5 user and rarely use multi window. Every time I try it the apps I'm using aren't compatible. I was so excited about it tho when I it was advertised back on the note line.
    PlaybookFanatic likes this.
    08-19-2017 10:20 AM
28 12