How will you feel if Samsung drop the 3.5mm port on the Note 8?

zedexdriver98

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
After Apple started the 3.5mm destruction crusade and now HTC, Motorola and the Pixel 2 may be following like sheep. Is it plausible for Samsung to drop the port and concentrate on USB-C?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Will not care at all. Also, Moto did it before Apple. Also, it's the right move long term - just unclear on whether or not the market is totally ready. Apple, HTC, Lenovo, Google, etc. all seem to think it is ready.

zedexdriver98

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
I haven't made the switch to wireless headphones just yet. I'm still rocking a pair of Bose wired earphones but haven't ditched them so far because of the great sound quality. Maybe it's time to move on.......

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't like it, but I'd adapt. I use Samsung BT that I got with my N5. Sometimes I find BT can be sketchy, but maybe it's because my wireless are ancient. I just like having the port if I forget to charge or something. I always rather having and not needing than needing and not having.

zedexdriver98

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't like it, but I'd adapt. I use Samsung BT that I got with my N5. Sometimes I find BT can be sketchy, but maybe it's because my wireless are ancient. I just like having the port if I forget to charge or something. I always rather having and not needing than needing and not having.

I have heard rumours that wireless headphones are generally worse quality than wired... I highly doubt that there is a noticeable difference in high end wireless headphones though.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No issue for me. I use Bluetooth at work and at home in the truck :p. I have yet to plug a headphone into my S8+.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have heard rumours that wired headphones are generally worse quality than wireless... I highly doubt that there is a noticeable difference in high end wireless headphones though.

You have it backwards. Wired quality is almost always better than wireless. However, nowadays with AptX and the forthcoming BLuetooth 5.0 support in Android O, wireless BT headphones may sound pretty great and be nearly indistinguishable from wired headphones. Should be a great improvement.

Still, it's just silly to remove the 3.5mm jack. The tiny amount of money and space they save won't be worth the aggravation some companies will get from the "normal" consumers. Of course if they ALL remove it, customers will have no choice and it will be moot. But I can see customers choosing 1 high end phone over another because that one has a 3.5mm jack. Maybe not many in these parts, but in the general public it still matters IMO ..

zedexdriver98

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
You have it backwards. Wired quality is almost always better than wireless. However, nowadays with AptX and the forthcoming BLuetooth 5.0 support in Android O, wireless BT headphones may sound pretty great and be nearly indistinguishable from wired headphones. Should be a great improvement.

Still, it's just silly to remove the 3.5mm jack. The tiny amount of money and space they save won't be worth the aggravation some companies will get from the "normal" consumers. Of course if they ALL remove it, customers will have no choice and it will be moot. But I can see customers choosing 1 high end phone over another because that one has a 3.5mm jack. Maybe not many in these parts, but in the general public it still matters IMO ..

Woops that's what I meant, got it the wrong way around! But yeah I completely agree, I think 3.5mm jacks need to stay at least for now anyway. Maybe a USB-C headphone will be the way forward for companies who appeal to the audiophiles who can tell the difference between wired and wireless.

zedexdriver98

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
the note 8 has a headphone jack so what's the point of this post ...duh

The Note 8's final design won't be confirmed until 23rd August. But I would assume that it will have one as the S8/S8+ do. I was just interested to gauge how people feel about the movement towards ditching the jack all together :)

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm....I like having the option to use wired and Bluetooth. So I prefer they keep it. But I'll be ok if they did take it away considering I use my Bluetooth headphones bout 95% of the time.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The Note 8's final design won't be confirmed until 23rd August. But I would assume that it will have one as the S8/S8+ do. I was just interested to gauge how people feel about the movement towards ditching the jack all together :)

True. But all the leaks and preorder cases suggest there will be one. My car doesn't have Bluetooth, so I prefer aux. Sure there are Bluetooth aux adaptors, but I'm fine with the less expensive aux cable.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
After Apple started the 3.5mm destruction crusade and now HTC, Motorola and the Pixel 2 may be following like sheep. Is it plausible for Samsung to drop the port and concentrate on USB-C?

Can't stand Google. Mocked at iPhone for ditching the 3.5mm when launching Pixel, then immediately followed in Pixel 2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan